1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by Dos101, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    There's an interview on Verge with Gabe Newell. He still hates Windos 8.
    syeef says thanks.
  2. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
  3. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Well, W8 already ships with lots of apps installed: image and PDF viewer, music and video player, a built in antivirus/firewall among others. What else would the average person need? I'd guess that most of those app downloads correspond to the netflix app. :D
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Whoa whoa whoa, I thought nobody was buying this heap of garbage called Windows 8? :rolleyes:

With rumors of a Linux-powered "Steam box" I'm not surprised. Gabe will always hate Microsoft.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  5. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I'm having troubles installing a program. It keeps telling me I have insufficient privileges to install it in ProgramData/microsoft/windows/startup.

I've tried several things from google searches and nothing works.

Any one know what to do?
  6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    He meant that the number of downloaded apps seems very low. 100 million apps on 60 million systems is kinda low.

I really want to try Minesweeper in adventure mode. :(
  7. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Also right clicking on any file in my downloads folder causes explorer.exe to stop responding.

EDIT: Fixed it was windows defender.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  8. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Thats maybe antivirus malfunction.
    EDIT: wow, i was pretty right! 8)

----------

What I do not understand is the Apps: I don't like them at all, are less functional then desktop programs, only very classy but monitor space eating!

And the "shop" is obscure: i only see horrible little tickets with the app's name and little more (I know I have to click them, but... click through tons of who knows what apps??? )
  9. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Ah ya I misread, my bad.
  10. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    If you would have a touch screen or use Win RT tablet you'll find SOME useful. Basically it's the same trick as with Android and iOS, billions of worthless apps which you maybe open once in awhile and some maybe 20-30 that really are important, each with hundreds of variation of the same.
    erixx says thanks.
  11. dave18505

dave18505

Thanks Received:
    When I go to the app store and it lists the top new releases it only shows 100, is that all of the apps or are there more?
  12. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Yes, Daddy, 20 apps for sure is my all time maximum I have stopped installing/uninstalling in a compulsive way :)

At least after my Start8 demo expired I have been using "vanilla" Win8 interface and getting a hold on it. It works. But the visual change from ModernUI to traditional desktop while working/multitasking is a huge DISTRACTION. One must begin setting the same color scheme to both or turn into a kaleidoscopical mad dog.
  13. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    You see, win 8 is way more fun than any windows. I usually go straight to desktop but once in a while I fire up an app just for fun. It's really nice to see them pictures from some news app on the big screen (my win 8 machine is hooked to a 32" TV). Used to read some kindle books also or do a split screen with a radio app while I have the desktop on the right for some browsing and whatnot. Now, I got myself my first tablet, a Nexus 7 and I would highly recommend it to anybody who's not into this mobile shit by now (as I was). What I found out is that whole this app stuff is a bunch of nonsense that sucks people in making them think it's the best thing since sliced bread. I wasted almost a full day trying to populate the screen with 30 somewhat useful apps, downloading and promptly uninstalling. Now, since I tried first hand I call bullshit the so-called advantage that iPads have with a biilion more apps. What you really need are just a few and you have them on both platforms. Sorry, on all three!
    erixx says thanks.
  14. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN...

Thanks Received:
    I'm perfectly at ease with windows 8 now and in fact prefer it to windows 7. I have made no mods as there is really not a lot to get your head around at all. My chosen apps are tvcatchup, 4ondemand and Netflix.

I love the interface and some things on 8 work that little bit quicker than 7. Some games also see a tiny boost for me, maybe its because of my FX chip I don't know but I'm not complaining :)
  15. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Absolutely true Daddy. I remember not long ago, when I checked a little the Nokia Symbian "shop", then the Android Play shop, now this.. and came to the same conclusion: I don't give a FF for numerical "superiority" of this or the others app shop. Many apps resemble "wood furniture" (à la Apple), many games are worse than the MS-DOS games, many free apps are unfunctional until you pay for unlocking, then there are plain old frauds, etc.

And also yes, there is a fun aspect, I have had little time working, building this computer and gaming to 'waste' a day living 'inside' the Modern interface yet, like you did, but sounds as fun! ;)
    Crap Daddy says thanks.
  16. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I look forward to going back when they update my drivers for my mobo. Currently they are all in beta.
  17. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    There is no such thing as drivers for my mobo (ASRock P35 chipset). Though it works without any noticeable hiccups.
  18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Mine worked fine to. Its just when I opened the event viewer it had 5 errors everytime I shut down. I wouldnt even know if I didnt look lol.
  19. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    I don't touch the event viewer. I might freak out.
  20. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    I remember times when 1) I would look up what every file in /System /system32 was, and 2) what every event in Event viewer was.... It is more or less like studying hieroglyphics including the Pharaoh's damnation... yes, freaking, and the hard way learning not to be too anal, as after all it came out of Bill's Gates =:O)
  21. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I have OCD so its not like I have a choice in the matter. However I do learn a lot trying to figure out every little thing.
  22. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    In many cases that information is quite useless lol. When eventvwr says that some dll crashed or that some address in memory can't be read. Pfft ... like I could do anything about that.
  23. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Honestly there is a lot you can do with that info.
  24. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Ok I still can't install a program, how do I make myself admin so I can install this program...
  25. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Look here or here or even here