1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by Dos101, Aug 17, 2012.

1. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

and this is LOL

[​IMG]

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i've never had those problems in W7.

3. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I've never had any major problems with 7...in fact to date it's my favorite Windows OS. But after recently buying an Asus K55N laptop for school that came pre-loaded with Windows 8 I finally decided to sit down for more than 10 minutes and give it a shot. I actually don't think it's all that bad..I love a few features like the task manager and all that it monitors and how snappy everything is on the laptop. Not having a start button is weird and I was thinking about Start 8 for $5 or maybe a free one...but I've challenged myself to just using it more as-is.

So far, I gotta say I like it! All the negative I have read and heard from almost everyone had me discouraged and what few minutes I had tried I hated...mostly because the Start button went from a useful tool since Win 95 to a challenge to live without on 8. But the more I mess with 8 the more I find I can access many different parts of windows and utilities in fewer clicks.

So here I sit...do I upgrade from my Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 setup? Ask me a year ago and well I might not even accept that as a logical question, and today I am seriously considering it. And with 8.1 looming I am interested, though I'll admit I haven't researched too far I feel I'm ready to give it a full chance on my gaming rig after impressing me with what it can eek out of my K55N, which while thus far it's a great little cheap laptop...it's doing better than expected in all aspects I've used it for thus far!

End of this long post....I'm thinking about installing Windows 8 on my gaming rig after being impressed with it on my laptop. And with my SSD and UEFI bios on my Z87 I should have some very good startup times. Though 7 is pretty quick when I trim the startup fat of Origin, Java, Adobe, Google, etc... :D

4. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Dude go windows 8. It does everything windows 7 can do but faster.......once you learn the tricks mind you. The added bonus is its more secure and FAR easier to repair if something gets screwed up. I have been using it since day one and honestly Windows 7 feels old now in comparison. If you get stuck or need a suggestion don't hesitate to PM me. Us OG TPU members gotta stick together with all the noobs now that lurk around here.

Kursah says thanks.
  5. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
  6. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
  7. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Hi ,is anyone using windows 8 on a overclocked amd sytem like mine ,990fx amd8350@4.85 , the thing is last time i tried it i had a fair few teathing troubles both with raid at the time and when i had given up on that i also had trouble getting both my ageing five series radeons and the cpu to overclock as high and stabley.
    ive still got the upgrade win 8 pro key and i am tempted but id like a similar sytem owners Pov

8. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Thurrott usually doesn't do benchmarks, mostly a "view from the average user's perspective". Which is fine, I'm not really expecting massive performance improvements anyways except for Metro apps that have been recompiled for 8.1 to use the new code (as shown at BUILD 2013).

9. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I bought pro student off of MS for $69 about an hour after I posted! I appreciate the help too! I really haven't had too many head scratchers that I haven't figured out. I utilize Soluto on customer rigs, and decided to have it track my startup time on my PC. Well it also gave me the option to boot to desktop and adds the option for a custom start button which fits well and seems to work well but is limited. I find myself going to the Start screen more and more as I customize it for my needs though.

:toasts: I agree us OG TPU members gotta stick together! Thanks again man! So far I'm super happy with my Win 8 experience! I'm embarassed I didn't try it sooner and dogged it with ignorance of a few minutes of rushed experience. Well I can now say it's a solid foundation and I'm looking forward to seeing it get better from here! You're right it does make Win 7 feel old!

10. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Sorry for the stupid question im a bit lazy tonight.

The uptade Windows 8.1 wil be free for who already own Win 8 ?

11. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Correct, it will be a free update. You will get a notification from the Store when it is available.

Animalpak says thanks.
  12. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Loving Windows 8. For those that want to ease the process or hate it without a start button, I installed Soluto to monitor my startup as I have always found their layman's easy-to-read interfaces handy for quick glances, they now will install Classic Shell for Windows 8 which installs a very customizable start button setup. Worth a look, works great, their default Win8 one fits perfect and makes accessing some things a little nicer until you sort out your start screen and desktop. Go to www.soluto.com and check that out or if you wanna bypass that go here for the stat button:

http://www.classicshell.net/

I find myself using it less and less but that's as I figure out Win8 more and more. I still need my start button "pacifier" for a few more weeks I'm sure! :toast:

13. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    if i had a spare SSD i'd be installing 8.1 with the classic start menu to play around with it.

14. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
  15. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Is there an oc software that doesn't freeze etc overclocking amd cards on win 8 tried trixx and aoc

16. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
  17. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Dos101 Can you modify the opening post? My current OS is W8.1 Pro without Media Center. Thanks.

Dos101 says thanks.
  18. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I just put win 8 pro no WMC to try it, I have disabled metro ans put start is back on, it's better than I thought it would be. As I am buying BF4 on the 25th I felt it was logical.

19. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    BTW, Thanks for the Win + x.

Has saved me from Metro, enough times now, and my sanity!!

8.1 will have to wait, possibly Sunday. I am not on the 'gotta-have-it-now' boat.

;) :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    No problem. In Windows 8.1 you won't need win+x anymore. Just right click on the windows icon in the lower left corner.

21. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Took the update today, seems slightly different but not much. Have to update a few things while I'm at it...

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    I've cleaned up the OP a bit. Considering that everyone will be upgrading to Windows 8.1 at some point I decided I'm not going to create separate groups for 8 and 8.1, also added some info on Windows 8.1 (such as reviews and upgrade instructions).

H82LUZ73 says thanks.
  23. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    Will our old 8 keys work on 8.1 just wondering if someone could send me the iso for it ?

24. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    google for the ISO's, you can find legit download links from some forum whose name i always forget (mydigital something)

25. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received: