1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by Dos101, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    oh as for dotnet, some of the new betas have a sook about missing features with AMD overdrive. could just be that, everything worked for me anyway after the error (latest ones didnt error on me)

2. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Well I tried this and it didn't work. I get this message when I try to uninstall.
    [​IMG]

And I get this message when I try to repair.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have tried what everyone else has also sayed, I really don't get why this won't work. I't will install everything fine BUT the Display Drivers.

3. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Are you putting on the same ones, or newer? I took the opportunity to put on the latest (well, at least before the new ones came out today).

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    I am trying the latest ones that I can going from 12.6 legacy to 13.1 legacy I'm still on 4850 x2.

Ah screw it I think I'm just going to buy a PowerColor PCS+ AX7870 2GBD5-2DHPPV3E Radeon HD 78...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  5. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Have you, by chance, deleted or moved or renamed the install directory(where it places the decompressed install files) for the 12.6 drivers?

If you have... just start the install of the 12.6 driver set and let it decompress and install the files to the "C:\amd\support\" directory.
    When you get to the screen that starts the Install/Un-Install process you should be able to, either, cancel and run un-install from the ADD/Remove programs in windows OR you can try the un-install option (if presented) on the installer screen.

It should be able to find the files it is searching for that it needs, then.

6. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Yep tried that twice, still no luck... 8.1 seems to really dislike AMD CCC

7. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Try it in safe mode, maybe.
    Or, try manually getting rid of it... or, one of the other un-installer programs.

I use IOBit's uninstaller for stuff like this.
    And, then clean up with CCleaner & manual hunt and peck of the drives and registry.

Or, there is the recover option.

Sorry, can't be of more help ATM.

8. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Well FTP servers are down for now due to maybe building a ARMA 3 server. Will update later on if I decide to reopen them cause by now everyone that really wanted the ISOs should have them.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
  10. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    Can i join

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    You got it!

I've created a new heading for Windows RT for those with devices running Windows RT.

Durvelle27 says thanks.
  12. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    Thank you

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:

Surface 2 new commercial

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  14. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
  15. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    For some reason Windows 8.1 Pro decided to put the MBR on my secondary 2TB storage drive and keep the rest of the system files on my 256GB SSD. I tried to fix it by removing my additional HDDs and using my install media (USB) to go into repair mode to run the std gambit of /fixmbr, /fixboot, /scanOS, /rebuildbcd but it wont even allow me to get to the repair option.

What's really annoying is that when I try to do a full system backup it wants to include the contents of the 2TB drive since it contains the MBR. I'd deal with it, but my backup drive is a 320GB USB3.0 HDD specifically bought to backup only the contents of the SSD.

I suppose I should have disconnected all other drives before updating to 8.1. Any ideas on how I can fix this? Maybe something I am overlooking to get into the repair option using my install media?

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Yes

Backup, unplug secondary drive, format, reinstall 8.1, plug back secondary drive. Nothing else really.

17. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Well, looks like I will live with it for the time being :laugh:

Now that I think about it, there's not that much to back up that is critical outside my documents, photos, and music.

Does the Windows 8.1 ISO get stored on your PC if you updated from 8 via the Windows Store? If so, where is it located?

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    No

19. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    So I go to install Windows 8.1 the other day but got some kind of error (no internet connection, i had to google it) when trying to download it. Two days later I woke up with windows 8.1 installed and an extra 8ish gigs free. Pretty damned painless I'd say.

20. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    This OS kicks ass. People fawned over Windows 7 (though maybe partly because Vista sucked) and 8 deserves such even more. The Metro debacle was really too bad cause that essentially ruined it's reputation. Even though I kinda like Metro myself as something extra to play with it should not be the "default" on a PC.

The SkyDrive integration is really cool too. Files move down instead of copying as if really local.

Here is a method for (apparently) scoring an 8.1 ISO from MS:

Go here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only - scroll down and click on 'Install Windows 8'
    Run the Windows 8 setup and enter your retail Windows 8 key, click next and when i begins downloading, STOP it! Exit setup.
    Now download and run the the Windows 8.1 setup (same web page).
    Tadda, it's downloading the official win 8.1 iso Afterwards you can save it as an ISO or create the USB media immediately.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  21. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Found a good tip in Computer Active magazine:

If you don't see upgrade to Windows 8.1 option in windows store then try this:

win + r -> wsreset.exe -> ok

Then restart your pc and check windows store again.

It can be added to the OP, I suppose.

22. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Just installed the new firmware for surface 2.
    Apparently sound performance with inbuild speakers degrades in some scenarios, and was a bit low. Better (or good again) now.

23. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Done! :)

Is that the Nov. 28 System Hardware Update? If so I just installed that as well. TBH I've had terrible sound on my Surface 2. The higher the volume the more tinny it sounds, and there's even some crackling. My Surface RT sounded WAY better in all scenarios. Someone created a thread over at Microsoft's forums and there have been a significant number of replies to it with people experiencing the issue. It sounds driver related. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...problems/cd2cc7bb-4572-4122-8a57-9843d1a5c366

24. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Next Windows release reportedly codenamed 'Threshold' aimed at bringing Microsoft's software platforms closer together. Unified app store and tool sets for Windows, Windows Phone, and the Xbox One. Hmmmmm so they want to unify them for good. Sounds like an eyeroller to me...

Possible release date is Spring 2015. In the meanwhile the first major update for Windows 8.1 is expected to be released in a similar time frame sometime in the second quarter of 2014.

25. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Its not entirely good news is it, I read recently that M$ wants one OS for all ,it will be an interesting future indeed but im not sure i will like it :D

I will say this Im glad 8.1 was free for me because had i bought it as an upgrade i would be rather miffed, there is not that much that is even noticeable and a lot that is still stupid , you new to 8??,, find calc then:p

More than 25k PPD