1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by Dos101, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    Had to cancel my first preoder becas it comes out it was upgrade version,bought a OEM version from diffrent shop. OEM version does it mean I can install it only on my current PC,for example if i change my PC to different motherboard will I still be able to use windows 8 without any problems or is it restricted to one hardware, where u first time install it?
  2. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    That's a good question...though, for the record, with Windows 7 you could still do a full, clean install with an upgrade version (not requiring any previous version of Windows installed or it's key). You just needed to leave "auto activate windows when online" box unchecked during install process. Can't say the same for 8 for sure though. So if it turns out the OEM version is in fact more restrictive it's possible you may want to go back to the upgrade version even if no earlier version owned. Googling this stuff should provide some answers as well.

Speaking of upgrades, US customers with a Microcenter can get a boxed Upgrade copy for $39 in-store (some places sold out already). For others, Amazon has apparently essentially matched the deal with $30 store credit on a full promo price copy.
    Jaffakeik says thanks.
  3. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    1) Yes, never had a problem doing clean installs with upgrades, true!
    2) Have never noticed that autoactivation is relevant. But never paid attention in all trueness.

;)
  4. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for answear, but I orderd a oem copy, becuase I dont have win 7 copy and I dont want to install win7 and then again win8 each time win 8 breaks down.
  5. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Worse thing that would happen with an upgrade is that you would need to install 2 times (install once- don't enter key, don't install updates) then install a 2nd time, install updates, and validate windows)

If you buy an upgrade you can always download an iso of the regular version and use your upgrade key

Both of these worked for Windows 7 and would most likely work with 8 as well.
    Jaffakeik says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. Psychoholic

Thanks Received:
    Running windows 8 pro 64bit from MSDN..

So far im lovin' it.. I don't miss my start button, since the programs I normally used are pinned to the taskbar anyways.

Didn't like the metro screen at first but its growing on me, kinda cool having alot of info there (weather, stocks, mail, facebook integration) with just a tap of the windows key.

Its also FAST, faster than 7 if thats possible.. Not sure how much of that newfound speed can be chalked up to the fresh install vs my old install on 7.
  7. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    I will get my on 26th with my new OCZ ssd 120GB hope it will fly.
  8. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Yeah...it was kind of weird for me at one point. I must have custom clean installed 7 upgrade two or three different times with auto checked (as that is default) before I got a problem where it would not activate and I ended up finding that tip and have just always done it since. Though, actually, before I did find that I ended up installing Vista once first (a copy of which I just happened to have from work).

Sure it's possible, and in fact is it expected based on both the various new under-the-hood improvements as well as early benchmarks. W1z's gaming performance review showed 8 faster across the board, though granted the margin was not very large. Cool that you are noticing it though, yeah, a clean install in the equation as well...

Oh, it will. Though not quite as much as with SATA 3. :)
  9. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    There are APP updates again,Just click your store at metro and select the 4 updates in your upper right corner.

I have been using 8 since it hit technet,I am wondering if I should just delete my 7 install....Would free a 500 gig drive up.Any 7 users notice this?
  10. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    When you do the Window 8 "update" does it give you the option of a clean install (format, install) or does it leave a folder windows.old (installs over old OS but leaves it) in the HD?
  11. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    erixx and H82LUZ73 say thanks.
  12. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Another good question.

Here is syndicated columnist Andy Ihnatko's mini-review of 8. Being in newspapers and such he is a more simple and consumer-oriented reviewer but I like his take on it (and the guy does know his stuff in general).
  13. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Ars Technica final review of Windows 8

According to this, yes http://betanews.com/2012/07/04/four-things-you-really-need-to-know-about-windows-8-upgrades/

suraswami says thanks.
  14. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
  15. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    H82LUZ73 says thanks.
  16. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    Bloody microsoft store send out windows 8 to me,even I canceled all orders and they confirmed that all orders are canceled, so WTF :banghead:
  17. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just upgraded to Windows 8 Pro for $14.99. Wouldn't have done it, but so cheap I couldn't resist. Honestly I am liking it, nothing major or anything, but I am liking it so far. /shrug
  18. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    Thought i would share my theme as i hate the default theme, Took me over a week to make this :p.
    Download
    [​IMG]
    H82LUZ73, erixx and Phusius say thanks.
  19. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Well new, different shit to check out and play with is usually fun. Unless it just totally sucks/fails in it's intended purpose or makes your PC catch on fire or something.

EDIT:Whoa whoa hold the phone that dude in that "4 things" article says because some suit at MS told him that "an upgrade requires a previous version of Windows installed" that we should "now assume" a clean install with upgrade media is "no longer possible"? Um, excuse me, this is exactly the same thing MS says every time-their EULA and lawyers require it, for starters-and it has still always been possible, one way or another, even since online "activation" came into being. So, yeah, someone here still needs to just try it with 8 already but on the surface (no pun!) it looks to me like nothing has changed in this regard and it very well may still be possible. Would frankly be surprised if not.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  20. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Only program that will not work with Windows 8 currently is Magic the Gathering official game client (I don't use the Steam version).

Been playing it for 12 years online, and first time it won't let me play it. Sad day indeed. I am sure there will be a patch eventually though. I hope.
  21. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Phusius says thanks.
  22. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tried it but did not get the email, waited 10 minutes and still no email so tried it again, still no email. :( Sad day.
  23. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Probably overloaded, it may come sooner or later id imagine, worth a try anyways,sorry it didna work for you.
    it should be included for free anyways, a bit cheap of them.
  24. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    your not alone here on this,I have been the biggest Fan-Boy for 8 since it was released......Will have to try it again with an other email i guess.

And mediasorcerer

try the preview if you can find it,I`m pretty sure that was the trial.or it could be up in a day or two.
  25. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Maybe they heard all your bragging about schiesting Win 8 for $15. :p

And I am a little surprised that an old game that worked under 7 is not working under 8, though I have nothing technical to back that up. Any error?