1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Consumer preview up for grabs

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Mathragh, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    Amd drivers seem to work fine for me ( for the mobility 5650) at the moment. Havent tried it on Llano yet.
  2. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I had an issue just installing them when I was formatted my laptop when it first came
  3. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    I've reinstalled 8CP and now I'm going through the nVIDIA driver install again. Fingers crossed.

UPDATE: Second time lucky.

:)
  4. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Is this like the RC or what?
  5. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    Possibly, but think of it more as a demo.
  6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Now I just want a laptop that can actually run it somewhat properly. The laptop in sig is not enough graphicswise.
  7. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Going to retry W8 when I'm back from my vacation.
  8. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can someone try a DX11 game and see what it sets your refresh rate to please? Mine defaults to 59.9 in DX11 games and it's causing syncing issues. DX9 Games are running perfect at the 60HZ preselected via Nvidia CP and resolution settings(via right click on desktop). I'm connected via HDMI by the way.

Interestingly Portal 1 stuttered like a mofo on windows 7, plays perfectly on windows 8
    Wow played perfectly on window 7, stutters like a mofo on windows 8

What is going on with refresh rates and API's in Windows over the past few years? They seem all over the place TBH. I never had any issues with XP sync wise.
  9. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    It's nice they included latest Atheros wifi and lan drivers. On my laptop I just needed to install card reader, ahci and NVidia drivers.

I like new features, pdf reader and I'm glad all bugs I encountered in dev prev version are gone now. I will join my work pc to domain tomorrow.

Annoying thing is metro apps won't close without getting killed in task manager.
  10. Lochban1088

Lochban1088 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Who are thay Kidding

Ive just spent the past 2 hrs playing with win 8 beta never in all my life have i seen such a pice of shit it was undoubtedly designed by a 5 yr old retard with a box of crayons it actually makes vista look good its that bad thay have a flipping mountain to climb if thay think anyone would pay them money for it there is not one singe redeming feature worth the name talk about loseing your way beta or not if this is the direction there heading ill stick to xp / win7 for games and linux for doing the real work .
  11. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    :wtf:

Can to elaborate on what other issues apart from the aesthetics that you dislike?
  12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have all my drivers installed for Win8.. except for my 7970. Anyone figure out a hack to get it to work yet? :)
  13. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    In my opinion, Microsoft needs to makes the Metro UI optional; as in, after installing Windows 8, the user needs to activate the Metro UI.
  14. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure about that. If they suceed with that "Windows everywhere" thing it would be nice if it looked kinda the same everywhere. I get that you want it optional but a lot of users would be confussled about yet another thing to install/ignore. On the other hand it's very different from earlier stuff anyway so it's still a lot to relearn.
  15. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    I believe that if it were well thought out, it would be as easy as the current Personalize options for enabling/disabling Aero on the Windows 7 desktop.

This is just my personal opinion.

However, if Windows 8 has no option to disable the Metro UI, I will not buy it.
  16. Lochban1088

Lochban1088 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Asides form the piss poor driver support thay have modded it so you have no real acess to any of the underlying o/s i get that this is a beta but for all that its just plain bad even with the corect drivers i had a complat nightmare installing my nvidia graphics card and still cant get the sound to work to save my life even with the driver disk it simply wont work add that to an interface desined by a retarded 5 yr old and its game over far as im consernd its bad when the vm install is actually faster and more stable than a native one .
  17. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    I never had one driver issue at all other than the weird refresh rate with dx11 games. Once I realised you can right click on desktop,"personalise" and access control panel I also then had access to the whole of the os.

Share your thoughts with Microsoft, hopefully they can issue updates which is the whole point of this.
  18. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    How the hell you shut down the machine with Win 8?

Honestly, I'm a bit old for this kinda stuff, but nevertheless I'll give it more time during the weekend.

After the orangutans were introduced to the iPad, Microsoft decided they also need a PC that operates in the same way.
  19. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    Move mouse to the right top of the screen.

See a bar coming into the screen.

Press the cogwheel.

Press Shutdown.

All the corners of the screen have a function now, I can imagine stuff being confusing if you didnt find those yet:)
    mastrdrver and Crap Daddy say thanks.
  20. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    I got it in the meantime but after a shutdown when I restart it says "resuming from hibernation".
    Anyway I managed to install the drivers, the Xonar was a bit tricky and I can't open the Audio Center, I mean I'm not seeing it anywhere. Don't want to jump to any conclusion now (nothing related to this driver issue) but I'm starting to hate it already.

Word of the day "Apps". You have to sign in everywhere, they need the name of your dog and whatnot. By the way, is there a setting where you can save your login password so I don't need to retype it all the time?
  21. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    As far as I know, apps will save your password, or even just get your login from windows/the marketplace.
    Do you need to retype your credentials every time?
  22. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    No, I was talking about the log into Windows.
  23. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    You need to make an offline account if you dont want to use a password I think, that, or use something like a fingerprint scanner on, for an instance, a laptop.
  24. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Heh, I have some testing to do :D

[​IMG]
  25. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received: