1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Consumer preview up for grabs

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Mathragh, Feb 29, 2012.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Don't you know that Metro apps can only be bought from the Microsoft store? Only stuff approved by MS can therefore be installed on your precious Metro interface. There's your vendor lock-in. No more stuff direct from your favourite vendor. I wrote all about the perils of this right here:

Your Paid For Windows 8 Metro Apps: Microsoft's Handy Big Brother Kill Switch

Also, I said that the iPad did not get good reviews before it came out, not the other way round.

2. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Everybody should understand that this metro stuff needs to be handled with your fingers.

3. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Wow just realized Device Manager and Event Viewer are opening so fast. Took ages in w7

4. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    Nope, hitting f8 does nothing.

Nope, i installed it on a completely different drive than my win 7 install, thats why i am so :wtf:, it used to always make dual boot by itself when i installed a second OS. But thistime it is just like my previous OS didnt exist, ewen though in win 8 i can see the win 7 drive normally, with all the data on it. Do you think trying to boot with a win 7 disc and trying to repair, will make a dual-boot?

5. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, I don't know what to say. I installed win 8 on a different partition on a different drive on my win 7 machine. This made win 8 default with option in win 8 on restart to switch to my 7 system. I didn't want this so in msconfig I put win 7 default with 30 sec timeout, this gives me the option at boot to choose or if not it will boot after 30 sec into win 7.

heky says thanks.
  6. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that used to work for me too, just not this time. Weird...I will just try with the Win 7 disc and see what happens...will report back.

7. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Also did this.

And to add my 2cents, I think even for a desktop OS there are things about Metro that I like and work though we really need to be able to control how and when it used a lot more as it can be frustrating trying to find things, though a few comments back about using the search finction, must admit thats all I do with my start menu aside from going to My Computer.

And just to correct you Q, you can still install traditional Windows apps from outside of the marketplace :toast:

Yea, startup repair should do the trick, I installed on a seperate drive and it defaulted to Win8 with an option to boot into 7, now I have 7 set as default via msconfig :toast:

heky says thanks.
  8. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone now how long Win 8 CP will be available?

9. steelkane

steelkane New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 4 corners of windows is different,, but I use windowblinds and like the different start menu buttons,, Maybe they could keep the start button & have it go to the metro, I do like the new office style explorer view with tabs & the copy animation that shows what speed your transferring at. I installed all the drivers fine & a hand full of apps from a flash drive that work fine, The folders are still yellow,, maybe they could give us something fresh & new. Is the fish a new logo,, if so not a good one to look at. I right clicked on metro & clicked on all apps that shows metro with smaller icons and a big full screen of the old start menu, Not bad looking, all in all win8 does need quite a bit more tweeking and changes & seems like it designed more for touch screen devices & some new default programs are a plus & i have it installed on a spare pc so its not going to bother my smooth win7 pc

10. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    I fixed my issues with (dual)boot. But the fix is somewhat weird. I couldnt fix the bootloader with either win 8 disc or win 7 disc, becouse both found nothing wrong. But i figuered out a way to get to my windows 7 install. When i power the comp(or restart) i have to press f11, to get to a boot device selection menu. From there i have to manually choose the win 7 drive and it boots win 7 normally. By default it is set to UEFI windows boot manager, and if i leave it at that, it boots to win 8. This is the weirdest thing i have ever seen.

Crap Daddy says thanks.
  11. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Extreme Tech: Windows 8 May Drive Me To Linux

12. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    Two things:

one: the interface isnt as bad as that guy wants you to believe it is. After spending some time with it, things will actually speed up, and your navigation around windows will be at least as quick.

two: I'm sure there will be a version of windows 8 that will ship without the metro interface, or atleast have the option of shutting it down. Think of the rumoured Professional Plus version that is supposed to be available.

heky and Wrigleyvillain say thanks.
  13. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    So? It's not like you cannot install other programs. You can install anything you want. Metro apps that comes from a Metro app store makes a whole lot of sense as that is kinda the point of the UI. Don't like it? Don't install Metro apps.

And that reviewers didn't like the iPad before it was released doesn't matter at all and makes no sense in arguing about either.

14. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Circular logic, the sign of a true believer. Welcome to the Cult of Metro.

15. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I think it's kinda of insane they won't let you disable metro all of the sudden. Maybe this is a test to see how much people really hate it.

16. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yup, it looks like they want to do away with the standard UI and force us onto Metro instead. Regardless, there's a freebie third party app that brings it back: http://lee-soft.com/

theoneandonlymrk says thanks.
  17. camoxiong

camoxiong

Thanks Received:
    All I say, IMO it runs pretty smooth and good.

18. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    I found vistastartmenu more functional.

qubit says thanks.
  19. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, I'll check it out. :toast: And it works on Windows 8?

EDIT

Here's another take on what's wrong with Metro:

The Register

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  20. Lochban1088

Lochban1088 New Member

Thanks Received:
  21. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    LifeOnMars says thanks.
  22. anonymous6366

anonymous6366

Thanks Received:
    dual booting with 7 on my school laptop!
    [​IMG]

My impressions, it is really cool more of tablet os but still works perfectly with my laptop. If you do this i would say dual boot it with win7 just in case some stuff doesnt work. I created a 20gb partition on my hard drive and linked documents, music, videos, etc. from the win7 instal to the win8 install and everything is running smoothly. The apps do crash and glitch sometimes but after all it is essentially a beta so it is to be expected. I'm having fun with it plus i get to show off to all my friends :cool:

23. Perra New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well... I installed win8 instead of win7 since I needed a reinstall... Is it just me or is metro useless with multiple screens?

Atleast they gave the task bar support for multiple screens, one step forward and a hundred steps back with metro, I really dont understand why they don't leave the metro crap for the tablets and call it windows tablet or whatever.

In other news, VS11 is awesome, so not everything about MS is fail right now :)

I will be throwing out win8 as soon as my new computer parts land, and they can't come sooner.

24. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I've got a laptop so I can seriously use it a bit. I really don't want to dualboot. BUT, the only thing I get is that fish, than the circle below it appears for a few second and then everything goes black. And the HDD and USB drive stops working. I've tried both 64 and x86.

It's an Asus F3J.

Anybody have any ideas?

That and large screens seems to be the main problem with it, which sadly translates to desktops.

EDIT: It does the same with a DVD. Sigh.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  25. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    I haven't installed any drivers and everything is working for me, even played CS: Source & Empire Earth without AMD drivers:wtf: is that normal? :eek: