1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Consumer preview up for grabs

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Mathragh, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    I've noticed lotsa SChannel errors in eventvwr. After surfing the web I realised I'm not the only one.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...tro-apps/5603aa31-a6a3-470d-98e3-93c8e1d0dd9a

If anyone cares can you look in event viewer? Do you have this system error?

2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Bumping this.

3. F1reFly

F1reFly New Member

Thanks Received:
    anyone tried Start8 by Stardock yet? i actually like it.

4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Ok, that is totally not true, or at least a very large stretch of the truth to make it your point seem legit when it isn't.

I ask you this, have you even used Win8 and Metro?

It is not restricted to Microsoft store apps only, it never has been, and as far as anyone knows never will be(the Metro interface on Windows Phones might be, but we aren't talking Windows phones here). The ONLY thing that even half way makes your statement legitimate is that only apps bought from the Microsoft store can be seamlessly integrated into Metro without the user needing to install the program manually(old school style if you will). When you buy an app from the Microsoft store, it is automatically installed for you. However, and this is where you statement falls apart, you can still install any programs you want and they will be installed on the Metro interface. The Metro interface is the start menu, if the program creates an icon in the start menu when installed on Win7, and I'd say 99% of programs do, then it will show up in Metro in Win8. Haven't I gone over this with you before?

As for them forcing us to use Metro, the rumor I'm hearing is that the final version will have an option to easily enable or disable Metro. The only reason they forced Metro in the Consumer Preview was because that is what they want the most feedback on, they didn't want people just installing the preview and then disabling it. They want to know what people like/dislike about it, and how it runs, as well as to find any bugs with it. They were disappointed with how many people used the Developer Preview but never used Metro.

And honestly, after using it on my laptop for the past couple weeks, I have to say you get used to it pretty quickly and it isn't that bad. Though I wish launching IE from it would run the actual IE program and not the stupid Metro version, I much prefer to just go to the desktop and run the traditional IE instead of the dumbed down Metro version. Though I don't use IE as my primary browser anyway, so it doesn't matter all that much in the end.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
    heky and Mathragh say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  5. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    I think MS f-ed up with the removal of the start menu. It makes sense on a tablet/phone, but for the desktop it takes more "clicks" then W7 did and that was the whole point of W7. To do things in "1 click". Now most of the desktop stuff is 2 or more clicks away.

Do you know where the control panel hides now? Without the "normal" Windows start menu, I'm lost.

By the way, running this on a Zotac ZBox with an E-350. I think only the USB 3.0 drivers was the only thing needed. Running pretty smooth in my opinion and all the W7 drivers on the CD work in W8.

edit: This feels like ME all over again, but for a different reason. For me they seemed to have flushed all the progress they made from XP to W7, in the UI, and started over with something worse.

edit2: ok, I just figured it out. Everything in the start menu got moved to the right "slide out" menu. Control panel, shutdown options are under settings, the search function is over there too. Just wish I didn't have to go do a different screen to do basic folder searches.

edit3: ok, I'm getting this. Multitasking. It's making sense now. We went to "1-click" in W7 to multitasking 1-click in W8. I think that W8 could help make conventional laptop screens more "detachable" from the keyboard. Thus making your laptop a tablet, like what Intel wants to do with Ultrabooks.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  6. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    You dont have to go to a different screen, you can also still just search from the explorer.
    You can also reach the config screen via the explorer, if you take a look at the ribbon interface when selecting "the computer"

7. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    How do you do a search without going to the "search screen"?

edit: Is there a way to pin webpages to the start menu?

8. gbird

gbird New Member

Thanks Received:
    There must be some genius out there that can figure out how to edit the system files so that the metro apps works on 1024x600 without hacking the system registry to change the resolution. I mean under settings>More PC Setting looks like a metro app within itself and that works. I hope one day someone will take off that stupid restriction Micro$oft placed forcing us to spend money on new hardware, when what most of us have already works well. I for one am sure i will not be getting a new laptop for this, would still rock it on my Gaming Rig though.

9. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    You aren't forced to spend money on new hardware, when Win8 is released just don't use Metro. Microsoft's statement was "The minimum resolution that Windows 8 Metro style apps can run is 1024x768." They said this in this article: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/20/optimizing-for-both-landscape-and-portrait.aspx

Really, it is a good read, especially the bottom. Like 99% of current Windows users use supported resolutions. But what really is interesting is that they talk about the lower resolutions only being able to use Desktop apps, so no Metro at all. Which hints very hard that Metro will be optional in the final release and not required.

10. gbird

gbird New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well lets see what will become of this in the RC Build later down this year. I am keeping my fingers crossed that someday, one day someone will find a work around to have the metro apps work on 1024x600 without the registry hack. Someone always have a workaround.

11. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I'm not keeping my fingers crossed, actually I am, but I'm keeping them crossed that they don't find a work around. Metro is useless on desktop/laptops, so anyone that wants to use Win8 on a netbook with that low of a resolution isn't really going to have a use for Metro anyway. And no Metro support just gives incentive to netbook manufacturers to finally up the screen resolution to something reasonable.

12. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    going by how integrated metro is I can't see it being removed in any version but the business version, can't see it

so I'ma stick to 7, 7 is good for me.

13. pabloottawa

Thanks Received:
    Windows 8... TERRIBLE

Well I installed it and what a waste of time.

- It's built for tablets and touchscreen.. FAIL
    - There is no shutdown feature right off the desktop... FAIL
    - It sucks up WAY more resources than it really needs to, hinting that it probably has EVERYTHING running in the background... EPIC FAIL considering I have 24 gigs of DDR3 RAM and it's still slow.
    - Again with the idiotic permissions restrictions even though I'm the administrator and I have FULL rights.

Basically if you don't have a touchscreen forget about it and even then, it's still extremely inconvenient..... We invented and perfected the keyboard and mouse to make things easier and now we're going back to moving our arms and fingers around in a less efficient manner because it's "trendy"? Pretty F*^KED up logic if you ask me.

I know it's a BETA and I know it's still in development but what a waste lol... There's 90 mins I'll never get back.

It's clear that Microsoft is out of new ideas with this OS. Windows 7 is in my opinion, the best OS they've made and that's pretty hard to beat. So far MS has fallen short of creating an operating system that deserves to be called the SUCCESSOR to Win 7. Stick with Windows 7 and really, don't waste your time. Wait till Win 8 reaches RC status.

14. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    The word is that you will be able to disable Metro, it was designed for touchscreens, and is pretty useless if you are on a standard desktop. Microsoft knows this, they only forced Metro on the Consumer Preview to actually get people to use it, because that is what they want feedback on.

As for resources, it runs fine on my laptops with 2-3GB, so I have no idea what your issue is.

And the "idiotic" permissions restrictions is what the IT industry wanted. They wanted a system more like OSX, and that is what UAC is, and you have the option to disable it if you wish so it is pretty idiotic to still be complaining about it.

I think you don't understand what a preview is for, no one should be switching from Win7 to the Win8 Consumer Preview. The Consumer Preview isn't meant to be your main OS, it is meant to be played around with on a non-important machine or a virtual machine.

15. pabloottawa

Thanks Received:
    I think my issue is that I tried it and within 10 minutes hated it lol..... It's just not an improvement.. Yeah it's "prettier" but meh.... Nothing outstanding.

I'm sure the final release will be far better.

16. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I think your issue is that you tried it for 10 minutes, decided you didn't like it without actually using it, and then decided to go on a rant about it without understanding what you were really trying.

heky says thanks.
  17. pabloottawa

Thanks Received:
    It's not my main OS.... OK newteckie so where would I remove these permission restrictions???

18. pabloottawa

Thanks Received:
    Of course..... That and I just gave up heroin so I'm a bit on edge lol....

JK

19. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Same place you removed them in Windows 7.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012
  20. Lochban1088

Lochban1088 New Member

Thanks Received:
  21. sixor

Thanks Received:
    i just tested this windows vista millenium 8 and all i can say it that it sucks

the only good:
    fast install, and really faster booting from ssd than win7, amazing actually, the same ram and disk space use (around 1.2gb with pagefile off in iddle, 12gb of space with some tweaking), nothing else

the bad
    -stupid no start menu, i don´t want to write, what is this linux??
    -no desktop startup, ok they suck
    -i am administrator, disabled UAC, still stupid windows ask permission for coping folder, also i can´t enable 7zip associations because there is not enough privileges
    -awesome, some genius put .net 4.5 but that crap has no compatibility with 2 and 3.5 so i have to install them again, really amazing works, like if the iso had no space left,
    -ok so this thing has directx20 12 13, i don´t care, but still i have to update to dx9c june 2011 by using another installer, really windows?
    -still annoying msg about daemon tools, just like vista, win7, etc but it works perfect
    -and many more annoyances i am still discovering

on a side note, hp printer deskjet 1000 j110 sucks monkey ass,is not windows fault but hp, there is no driver for win8 but win7 driver will not install, thanks a lot hp, this same thing happens on every new windows

22. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    'windows vista
    millenium 8'
    what ? theres no such like that

23. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    I really think W8 is going to go over like Vista did. They are making such large changes to the way you interface with the OS that people are going to rage about for a yr or 2 and it will get a bad stigma.

Then W9 will come out and everyone will praise it because it poops unicorns and fairies. Everyone will be asking why couldn't MS make W8 like W9. Then we start the whole process over again because there is some law in the universe that says MS must f-up every other OS and make the follow up poop magic.

24. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    I really see no need for them to push this out yet... release a tablet specific os and give windows 7 another 2-3 years..

25. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Actually, more like MS will make good changes every other OS, and people will bitch because they don't like change, then they will accept the changes and praise MS for making them in the next OS...

It isn't like Win7 really improved anything over Vista, people just bitched about Win7 less because they were already used to the changes from Vista.