1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Discussion in 'General Software' started by H 3 L L S M A N, Feb 26, 2012.

1. H 3 L L S M A N

H 3 L L S M A N New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Windows 8 Consumer Preview is arriving on the 29th for download, and I wanted to see if people will be using it and testing it out or waiting for the full release. Normally I do not like testing a product before the retail version is released because it can ruin the end experience sometimes.

My processor took forever to ship and is arriving on the 28th (i7-3930K Build in the build log section under "MSI Big Bang Xpower II Water Cooling Loop"), I will most likely be getting it up and running with Windows 7 that day and then create a backup and then install the windows 8 Consumer Preview on my X79 platform. If it is good then I will be using it up until the retail release of Windows 8.

Will you ignore it and wait or forget about it completely and wait till their is no more updates for Windows 7 or a new directX becomes standard.

2. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Serious?

A buggy release candidate is nothing worth downloading. If MS wants me to quality test then they should pay me. I'll settle for a single OEM license...or not... Windows 8 is taking DRM to the next level of stupidity.

So no, not installing this. A new version of directx is stupid, considering we're up to 11 but 9 is standard. New features are a joke, given that I know more about the computer than where the on button is. Top this with more malevolent DRM, and I'll skip windows 8 all together.

3. Liquid Cool

Liquid Cool

Thanks Received:
    Ignore it.

Still sticking with my favorite Windows XP 64 bit until they kick me off of it. I didn't see any difference between Win XP and Windows 7 'cept a little eye candy and hand holding that I don't like or need. Now Windows 8 adds some type of front end that's worthless for what I use it for.

Windows 8 = Windows XP SP5 to me.

Best,

Liquid Cool

4. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    for trying maybe yes but since it isnt final version i wont push it for daily usage and so far win 7 runs well why you need to switch to win 8 that still preview?

5. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I've been using the Developer Preview since it was released and I haven't had any serious problems apart from a handful of applications not being compatible. I'll surely take the Consumer Preview for a spin.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    So is this a RC or a beta?

And for those that haven't been paying attention Windows 8 is a highly optimized Windows 7. Mainly because they're targeting the competitive tablet market with it. All that front end stuff people hate can be turned off. If you liked 7, get 8. If you're still stuck on XP for the resource usage, give 8 a try. It should have a similar footprint but with vastly more features. Once you have it you may even find yourself trying and liking some of those new features we're so put off by.

7. H 3 L L S M A N

Thanks Received:
    They have chosen the name "Consumer Preview" instead of beta to make it sound more friendly apparently, and therefore get a bigger audience to download it. So I believe this is the beta version but not 100% because there was the developer preview which could have been the beta and this is the RC but who knows, I will be installing it as soon as it comes out because I like new things and in the past never had a single issue besides a certain freeware low end program not working.

I am interested to see the footprint too.

8. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Have been doing it since Windows 95, so probably will with do the same with 8. Though not as eager as the old days... I remember grabbing every weekly build of XP. But only did the RCs for 7.

9. Lochban1088

Lochban1088 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Personally i cant see my self switching to win 8 unless theres a game or games that need it most of the time i use ubuntu for day to day use and reboot in to win 7 for games one day Ms will learn that there fucked up dmr is just hurting themselves .

10. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Considering the pre beta build was very solid this should not be very buggy at all.

For most people this is a non issue today. Why would anyone have a desktop/laptop system with less than 1GB of ram?

11. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    well DRM protection can be broken even the activation on Windows 7 was broken in secs and they just released and update that will "Re-Activate" Windows 7 which is a free choice to install so what does it really matter?

it only gives ppl a reason to test out, bcs if a fully activated OS like Windows 7 and Beta's of Windows 8 can be activated doing the installation and u don't "Re-activate" them they will just keep on working.

but i will properly they out Windows 8 CP when it comes bcs i will properly get it.

12. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It won't be my primary OS until it is RTM, but I will have Win8 installed on at least one workstation at work to get used to it.(I'll also be disabling the useless Metro crap.)

Good thing this won't be a buggy release candidate, so your post has no point.;)

What is the point, I don't even put a CD key in when I install Windows 7 on my own machines. After 30 days when I don't activate I get a little text in the bottom right of the screen saying Windows might not be genuine, but the computer still functions perfectly, so big deal.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  13. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    It's not an issue, but a lot of people pretend it is to justify their continued use of XP to themselves.

Frick says thanks.
  14. SonDa5

SonDa5

Thanks Received:
    I'll be test dummy for MS if they give me final released OS.

15. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    No need for it at all. I have win7 64bit.

16. James1o1o

James1o1o

Thanks Received:
    If I install this, I like it and keep it, when the RC or final release of Windows 8 comes out, will I be able to upgrade my "beta" into the final release or will it require a reinstall?

17. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    I had a Microsoft rep come to my school on friday and he put on an all day event on how to program for windows phone 7 but he also showed us some the latest windows 8 goodies on his windows 9 slate tablet. Pretty sweet stuff.

18. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Requires a re-install.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  19. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, you definitely want to VM/dual boot any beta or pre-release installs.

20. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Seen what i needed to see for now, i'll wait till release and then if it don't give any gaming performance increase it's pointless for me.

21. DigitalUK

DigitalUK New Member

Thanks Received:
    windows 8 is going to be another windows ME, everyone was fine with 98SE no real reason to change to ME until XP arrived, its far to soon to release windows 8 if you disable metro you have windows 7 with ribbon addon.

i think MS is releasing it mainly for phones and tablets

22. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I personally think that Windows 8 is going to do well.
    The easy way to tell how it's doing it cheking out the adoption rate on TPU. The members here are the most brutal beta-testers I know. If TPU'ers like it ... it's got promise.

23. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    I use dev prev as my main OS and yes I will install cons prev when it's out.

24. H 3 L L S M A N

Thanks Received:
    I think it will too I like the direction Microsoft is heading I love the one OS idea, a tablet with Windows 8 being able to snyc with a destop with Windows 8 and having everthing with you on the go minus the big media collections would be awsome. As far as the increased DRM goes I will wait and see if it intefears with me.

25. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I will try the retail version, see if it works better, then decide from there. If it brings any kind of performance improvements, I'll most likely definitely switch. You'll most likely be able to make Windows 8 the way you want it in terms of interface and/or getting used to any new features doesn't take much time.