1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Discussion.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Ravenas, Jun 14, 2012.

1. atikkur

Thanks Received:
    win95 was actually a good OS, compared to win31. i was happy at that time to have a new over the haul interface (pretty too), clean desktop, organized start menu (over the scattered program manager), more stable, more user friendly (plug n play over the manual configuration every device setup)... and more and more... so win95 over win31 was like 100% better changes.

on the other way, win8 is a changing too,, but 100% not a good change for me.. i still dont feel comfortable with its metro-desktop hybirds,, just confusing and contra productive in the operation. i do like doing multitask in windows,, drag n dropping, copy pasting, and so on that involves two or many windows open. and how do i just do that with metro interface without pain in the ass? (too many switching screen/clicking-hovering spot will get me pain for sure).

2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Not when you base it on price of the product...

3. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    It's still hard, because like I said a small change (a change that "requires" a newer version of OS) is very important to someone and would pay for it even tho it costs a lot, but it's worthless to others. At the end of the day, they need to sell something and pay the workers, free updates won't do that.
    What would you rather have: an OS that comes out every 2 years full of bugs and with many new features or an OS which runs stable with less bloat and worthless features (the 1st option will probably be Windows 8).

Forcing someone to incorporate new things and to innovate is a bit silly and can lead to poorly programmed features because the company doesn't want to concentrate on such stuff but is forced. (It's like saying that Intel should be forced to unlock all the CPU's just so that everyone can overclock - it would be nice but Intel would make much less money from future products, at the end of the day innovation and technology demand investing and the same applies to people that work there and need to be paid), and can lead to poorly programmed features because the company doesn't want to concentrate on such stuff but is forced.
    Just to be clear here I'm not saying that MS should charge $300 for just a minor change, I'm only against these regulations which only target 1 or 2 companies and mostly for some silly stuff (Like the IE thing with Windows) while others do much more horrible things with pricing and locking features...

4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Actually MS has had anti-trust lawsuits for changing the API and doing things to prevent certain software to stop working in the past. MS has done some very shady things, you just don't see it that often anymore because they've been regulated well enough at this point.

repman244 says thanks.
  5. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    I am very aware of those, but at the same time every other company did their fair share of shady things it's part of the business.
    The bigger you are the higher the pressure and anything you do is closely monitored. It's a very dirty business these days sadly. Instead of concentrating on development, companies rather engage in lawsuits over some idiotic things (the so called patent wars).
    I don't care if MS bought other companies for developing programs, as long as I can use it without severe constraints and if it works and gets the job done (it's like one of those scenarios where people bitch about high manager pay checks, I say that if they get the job done properly and if the company is functioning properly and every one gets paid he should also get paid properly).
    It could of been worse, what if MS made a completely locked down OS?

Regulation is sometimes a must but it can also be a very nasty business in itself. What makes you think that all regulators work for the benefit of the whole market? That would be ideal yes, but the truth is that they probably "work" for other companies (like I pointed out in my previous post I could tell you about these so called regulators in the EU and the amount of dirty things that are going on).

6. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Windows 8 makes OS X and Ubuntu/Mint look great. If the next DirectX is a Windows 8-exclusive, then I'll dual-boot with Windows 7, using Windows 8 only for gaming.

Things like DirectX 12, other software will eventually force you to.

7. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Windows 8 will be supporting DX 11.1 so I've heard. In that regard, I don't believe it is worth dual booting just for that.

8. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    I have been using Window's 8 on my laptop for 3 months now. It works great. I check email, internet, do work related things very easily. I have even done some gaming on it, Diablo 3, and a few others and had no problems. Icon art for the Metro UI is somewhat lacking, but that will come along. I have high hopes for the OS.

Remember kids, the Metro UI is optional. You can just move your icons to the traditional desktop if you like and work from that. Or you can come on here and cry more.

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  9. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I agree with this excetp you left out windows 2000 and also windows 95 was not bad really I was amazed when I first upgraded from win 3.11

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Lol... The applications are a mess. A Windows 8 app is different from a Windows traditional program in that it takes up your whole screen and looks like a sophmore cheerleader in highscool designed it. The applications screen is just a total cluster f**k (pardon my french). The start menu... It just doesn't exist. It's essentially a bunch of uneven boxes that are hard to read and find what you want. How is this good for productivity?

11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    There is nothing wrong with OSX and yes its FAR more user friendly then Windows. I've been using both professionally for years and they both have their ups and downs. However I will say Windows needs to go sandbox and dump that stupid ass registry already.

Aquinus says thanks.
  12. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    W8 ain't revolutionary and it ain't innovative either. It still has dlls (gross, this stupid dll shit should die once and for all, I'm happy Linux doesn't give a crap about dlls), it still has driver problems, crashes and neverending updates. Windows core should be fundamentally changed, not its constantly changing UI. But I think maybe W9 will be different. I hope it'll be.

13. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Pretty sure I'm going to stick with 7 for some time to come.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. megaflegmi

megaflegmi

Thanks Received:
    You can say that about most linux distros and if you're gonna be doing e-mail/online work/documents might aswell do it with linux, way cheaper :) (and works well on old hardware).

That would be so nice. ;)

15. naoan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Or I can just, y'know, not buying one and continue to spread the words to possible unsuspecting victims. :rolleyes:

16. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    and what the hell happened to midori?

17. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    People are afraid of change, naturally of course...

We could create a thread dedicated to the people who are all so dedicated at making New OS hate threads. A monument if you will.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  18. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    if so i can live with it. I didn;t take me long to be acustom to Win 8 its really not that bad. I think when a new OS or anything big comes out people find a way to bitch about it. I mean we all knew that Metro was going to be the big change, I don't see why people are bitching about it when it shouldn't even be that much of a surprise. yeah you don't like it, then don't use it till you have too.

19. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    I have been using Windows 8 for 2 weeks now. Metro UI is both good and bad. Will work good for a single user PC but haven't figured it out for multi-user scenario. There are general enhancements all over the OS say like Windows explorer, lot more things/options are shown. I am still exploring more with limited time to play with the new OS.

I feel this OS will shine on a Tablet but difficult on a desktop or laptop (that might change when I become more comfortable with the OS).

For now my rating is 50-50.

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  20. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    He is half right. Only the cycle is wrong

Win 3.1 :shadedshu
    Win 95 :)
    Win 98 1st Edition :shadedshu
    Win 98 2nd Edition :)
    Win ME :shadedshu
    Win XP :)
    Win Vista :shadedshu
    Win 7 :)
    Win 8 :shadedshu

21. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Has you forgotten about Windows 2000 :laugh:

22. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    And XP x64 Edition (Windows NT 5.2). And Windows NT 4.0

XP x64 is to XP as Windows 7 is to Windows Vista

Likely merged with XP to become Vista. Vista has managed and unmanaged components.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
  24. naoan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm tired of the same bullshit excuse. There are A LOT of valid argument against Windows 8, if you think they're just afraid of change then try to debunk those first.

25. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    nope... midori would have been completely different... not windows kernel...