1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 DRM Hell

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Deadlyraver, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Deadlyraver

Thanks Received:
    I am so irritated at my copy of Windows 8 right now. I have been trying to load up my content from iTunes into my Traktor DJ software for a week now and have tried almost all methods. After re downloading my entire library even to solve the problem, nothing works.

After bashing my face against my keyboard, I decided to find some articles related to this problem however through the matter of Windows 8, bingo. I certainly hope that Microsoft does something to accommodate us media professionals, because we pay for this kind of crap to happen if that is the case!

In the meantime, heed my warning and don't buy W8 under the intention of media applications.
  2. segalaw19800

segalaw19800

Thanks Received:
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It seems like the problem isn't Windows 8, it is the DRM, in this case iTunes' DRM. Because Windows 8 is considered by the DRM as a different computer system, anything protected by that DRM won't work on Windows 8 if it was previously activated on Windows 7 or earlier.

The solution to this would be to de-activate the previous instance, and re-activate on Windows 8. Of course I don't believe iTunes give the option to do that. I think there is even a warning similar to this buried in the iTunes terms of service, stating that DRM protected media might not work if transferred to another device or another OS.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    what newtekie said. this isnt windows 8's fault - its the DRM.

you'd have the same problems changing to any other OS.
  5. Deadlyraver

Thanks Received:
    I have reauthorized this computer twice to iTunes and nothing has happened. The included link in my first post says much regarding Microsoft's actions toward this problems. In the meantime I guess I will be waiting for updates.
  6. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    As the others said, that is because of the DRM itself, not Windows 8. Even the article you linked states that too:

You should try to contact Apple on this.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I believe itunes may only be activated either 5 times or on 5 different machines as far as i'm aware, could this be related to the issue i wonder?
  8. Deadlyraver

Thanks Received:
    Nope, you actually have the option of deauthorizing your machines to make room for new ones.
  9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Talk to Apple, the article you linked to in the original post tells you this is an issue with the DRM, it also is about the Developer Preview not the release version. I'd expect Apple would have addressed the issue by now, but it seems they haven't. Then again, problems like this are some of the big reasons Apple has moved away from DRM to non-DRM content.
    MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD