1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 faster boot: cold boot / hibernate combo

Discussion in 'General Software' started by qubit, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I know ccleaner can even clean up to 15GB for people who never cleaned their history lol. Especially if they use Google Chrome. A lot of cached data ... But I prefer to it with one click from browser itself. I've seen slow ubuntu tho it got fast again after installing updates. :)

Defragmenters won't defrag pagefile anyway. The best thing is to delete pagefile (when it's fragmented) booting from live cd time after time and recreate it.
  2. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    My comp always seems to run unstable after resuming fron standby. It acts like its outta ram then bluescreens and restarts. This actually caused some issues with directx files that were in use and now im probably gonna have to reinstall and just not use standby or hibernate. Ill probably need to run a disc scan too. This is with win7

Yet it works fine on my ibm laptop with xp sp3 and an old 40gb pata with 1.5gb ram
  3. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    As it stands right now, Im not getting Windows 8 at all. I dont like what they're doing to it. Putting the ribbon in explorer. Hate it. Having that new interface that basically makes you turn your desktop PC into a tablet. Hate it.

Ill pass.
  4. Derek12

Thanks Received:

Well in my case was temp files I think from installing Office 2007 lol

About Ubuntu, well I will try the last version :toast:
  5. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    A place i spend a lot of time at has recently upgraded from word 2003 to 2010, at first i thought it was worse,2 weeks later however now i've got used to the controls i can see why they did it

the ribbon interface is really good when you get use to it, i can actually do things really quickly that used to take a while, and i've discovered features i didn't even know word had

I actually have got vista to the point where it boots at the same rate as ubuntu and a lot of other linux distro's

it's not an OS problem, is people loading their PC up with crap
  6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    They're showing desktop use right now here.
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I don't see any point to this at all. If you want a faster boot, hybernate the system. All this does is log you off first, then hybernates, big freaking deal. Just leave me logged in and it goes even faster!

The traditional shutdown system is still in the OS for things that require true shutdowns. Otherwise installing programs and drivers and stuff that required a shutdown wouldn't work.

I think this is really confusing people, especially when they are comparing it to the Win7 true shutdown and cold boot. They are comparing a Cold Boot to a Hybernation and trying to pass it off as the same thing.

I like how he points out that they added an "Up" button to explorer. Yeah, they removed it after XP just to put it back in as a feature in 8 after people bitched about it being gone from Vista and Win7. Next they are going to completely remove the start button for a few versions then add it back in and talk about how amazing it is!:laugh:
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  8. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Multiple taskbars. At least that is a good thing.
  9. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Watched 20 seconds of it and I already hate it more.
  10. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, but I already do that with Ultramon(samething with the wallpaper). In fact, did Microsoft buy Ultramon and just integrated it into their OS?:roll:
  11. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it wasn't as much of desktop view as I thought it would be. But it seems like it's not gimped, everything pretty much looks like Win7.

Also, 20 seconds of video is a lot to go on. :p

Me too but it's nice to not have to buy another program to do it. :p
  12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Is there anyway of verifying your last statement, cuz ive had the paging file moved to another partition which was completely paging, n defragged it just fine.
  13. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Why the hell does anyone want this OS on their desktop? They're trying ot turn out desktops into tablet pc's. If I wanted a tablet, id just buy one.
  14. Frick

Thanks Received:
    They are pretty much only demoing tablet stuff. The short glimpses of desktop we see looks just like Windows 7.
  15. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    From what I understand reading about Windows 8 on various websites, its not just for tablets, for this touch screen stuff, but for the desktop as well. Which is really pointless IMO.
  16. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Not really, it still has all the traditional Windows experience. However, they've just included the tablet stuff in the Desktop versions for people that like that experience better. It is like an extension of Media Center that includes programs as well now. I don't personally use Media Center, I don't like it, but I know a lot of people that do use and like it. I'm not going to not use the OS because I don't like one feature that is optional to use anyway.
  17. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  18. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Its enough for me. Granted not for most people. Doesnt take long for me to look or listen to something for me to gauge whether or not I will like something.

If its an optional install then I could deal with that. If I can cut it out using a n/vlite type program then thats even better.

Ive stopped watching the keynote so I dont know for sure, but before anything was really official or announced for this OS officially, rumors were flying around that Win8 would be heavily cloud based. How true is that?
  19. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    i'd imagine it has good cloud support but when you look at the internet connection of people worldwide i'd imagine it would be completely optional, otherwise they've lost 70% of their customers
  20. Frick

Thanks Received:
    It will be easy to add the possibility to share stuff with others through social media and whatnot. So yes, if you're into that sort of thing.

And I just read the anand article and it seems like this metro thing goes deeper than I thought. But then everything we see now is completely design for tablets as tablets will be the primary target, so that could very well change. Somehow I can't see them alienate everyone with a mouse/keyboard, those are their main customers. We'll see.
  21. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Seems to me that the main issue with Windows is too many features...it's a scattergun approach of "pleasing everybody" that ends up pleasing very few entirely. Adds to the ever expanding bloat of the installation. What I want is a slim OS that does just the things I need it to do. Not a butt load of features aimed at other users that I won't ever use.

And is it productive to roll out a new OS before the last OS is even fully adopted? Do we even need a Windows 8 yet? That right there would keep me on Vista another year or two...as expensive as these Windows Installation Disks are I am not interested in buying one every year.
  22. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Most people just want things to work from the start. You can always slipstream your discs. ;)

If MS want to get in the tablet race they could use a new OS right about last year. For desktops it's a resounding no, but tablets is the target with this one.
  23. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    What windows 8 will do it make those tablets that transform into laptops (http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_TF101/ etc), go from good, to amazing, imagine if i could just swap between andriod tablet and full windows whenever i needed too, windows 8 for work, android for fun :)
  24. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Win8 isn't expected until next year at the earliest, that is a good 3 years. If you haven't adopted Win7 by then we aren't waiting for you. I certainly don't want another Win XP or Win 98, where people got so used to them because nothing new came out in a long enough time that no one wanted to change once something new finally did come out. I'm perfectly fine with a 3-4 year developement cycle between OSes. And I really don't mind paying the ~$100 to move to the new OS every 3-4 years either. I put more than that into hardware in a month, I can put it into software every few years.
  25. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    major problem is upgrade transition between windows, to tell u the truth the Code should be the same as Win 7 pretty much.