1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8, full or upgrade required?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by cleverest, Nov 28, 2012.

1. cleverest New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm about to build a new system, and I need it to be windows 8 Pro (I have to gain mastery of it for my line of work...) and I'm wondering if the full OEM version is necessary for my new build or if it's possible to install the upgrade version somehow via a clean install without having issues down the road.

While I'm not suggesting pirating a copy of windows, I would like to save some money and buy a cheaper legit version of the OS if possible...that being said I don't have an old windows 7 to "upgrade" (well I do, I have a windows 7 enterprise, but I'm not giving that up as I need it elsewhere...)

Any tips on this appreciated. Am I stuck paying the $100 more for the full version in this scenario?
  2. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to say it but i'm fairly sure your stuck paying the extra for the full windows 8 :ohwell: .
    Maybe someone else knows something that I don't about this or can confirm this.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received:
    The upgrade copies sold at Microcenter will allow you to do a full installation despite it being an upgrade. Our Microsoft rep told us this and alot of us have done clean installs with it. Installed on some VMs and a Macbook.

**EDIT** Should be good no matter where you buy it from. **EDIT**
  4. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    You might be able to install the Windows 7 you own without activating it, and "upgrade" to Windows 8 Pro from that installation. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Windows upgrades only check for the existence of an OS to upgrade from and not whether it is activated or not.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. cleverest New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm, my win 7 is already activated and I read somewhere else that it does render the previous license of windows "overwritten" so you can't continue to use the older one...I don't want this to happen.

I guess I'll risk the upgrade for $40 or whatever, since it's so cheap, and if it ends up failing, at least I have a spare copy to give to someone I know.

I'll post my results here, will probably be a couple weeks or a bit more...

Thanks for the responses!
  6. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Not true. Upgrade to 8 doesn't annihilate your 7 license.
  7. cleverest New Member

Thanks Received:
    Will windows updates, etc continue to work properly on the Windows 7 machine?
  8. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Yes
  9. NecroNaga New Member

Thanks Received:
    My question is similar to the OPs.

I already bought the upgrade version of Windows 8 last night(15$ for a new os is not bad in my opinion.) and burned it onto a disk. I was planning on using it on this comp, but I am also getting ready for building a new comp and was wondering if I should try and use the upgrade version on the new comp so I could save some money.

Should I go with my original plan and upgrade my current comp's os and buy a new os for my new machine? Or should I use the upgrade on the new machine(if I can.)?
  10. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Upgrade is upgrade from an existing OS and while you can do a clean install I think you cannot do it on an new HDD. So you'll have to install an OS prior to clean install Windows 8 upgrade. Don't know whether you have to activate the previous version or not.
  11. cleverest New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm hearing conflicting reports on this. Many people have had success doing a clean install with it. I'm going to give it a shot, and let you all know in a couple weeks.
  12. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I found this and it worked for me but may not for others. Burn the ISO to a disc and boot from it. Once it asks to upgrade or custom install do custom and format the HDD. After the install do the instructions below

Ok after some research I found a fix for the dreaded "0xC004F061" Windows cannot be activated due to not being an upgrade.

Code:
    1. Launch the command prompt as an administrator (Windows key & X –or CMD X if running on a Mac).

2. Type regedit and press enter.

3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE

4. Look for the item MediaBootInstall and set the status to 0

5. Close regedit and head back to the command prompt that should be still open.

6. Type slmgr /rearm and restart when prompted.
    http://www.techbeast.net/2012/10/26/windows-8-clean-installation-with-an-upgrade-license/
    jasper1605 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    ^^ That worked for me
  14. NecroNaga New Member

Thanks Received:
    @brandonwh64

That sounds like it can work for a new computer that never had an os on it before. Hmm. I might give it a try, if it doesn't work, then I guess I will go with my original plan.
  15. cleverest New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool thank you, I also read that some people (many of those who were using an XP or a Vista key, not a windows 7 key to purchase the upgrade from MS for $39.99) were having issues being given the option to 'create an iso' and were only seeing "install now" or "install later" options, or something like that...

Someone posted a link to a MS setup file (this requires the Win8 serial to install) that he says allows the creation of a ISO for those of you having that problem....haven't tested myself yet, but the setup does ask for a Windows 8 product key when you launch it, so I assume there is a "create iso" option shortly after....

The setup link: go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=262204

Hope this helps someone...
  16. NecroNaga New Member

Thanks Received:
    I do have another question that is tied to what I am about to do.

Will the comp need to be connect to the net in order for windows 8 to activate? Or is there a way to activate it with the comp not connected to the net?
  17. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    By internet or phone.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    This time around win 8 activates automatically when you are connected to the net. So it doesn't ask you to do anything.
  19. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I've had a fairly good track of making fresh installs with the upgrade versions (3 so far). As far as I can tell if you have a previous activaded Win7 install on the disk, you can make a fresh install over it by deleting the partitions from the W8 installer. If you format the disk previously or use a new one it will be unactivated.

Alternatively there's this workaround but some people have had mixed success with it:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    I posted that earlier in this thread.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Sorry :eek: Kudos to brandonwh64 for the workaround. :toast:

BTW if Win8 boots straight to the desktop then your copy is unactivated. You won't have access to the app store, customize and Metro. Desktop programs install fine so it remains pretty usable. Didn't test if it had some sort of concurrent running programs limitation or something.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. cleverest New Member

Thanks Received:
    Very useful information everyone, thanks! I'll let you know how my win8 upgrade (clean install) goes in a couple weeks or so.
  23. DynoDon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi folks. I found this site by accident (?) researching W8 clean installs. This may or may not be news but based on this thread -only- it might be. Using W7, I first downloaded the "upgrade" version of W8 pro as has been described to get the "discount." I saved the ISO to a folder on my HD. (I've seen some say it goes into a hidden folder but I had no trouble here) Anyway I burned the ISO to a DVD. The I removed my W7 drives, installed a single blank HD, and booted from the DVD. It said I had some data on the HD but AFAIWC it was blank. I went to advanced and combined the two partitions, told it to format (very quick) and let 'er rip.

W8 "upgrade" installed cleanly with no issues. Using the product key that was sent. Unlike some here who seem to have had some difficulty. It did not allow me to go past product key entry and "Validate online." And the process of bypassing that and modifying the registry was not required. It just installed and ran.

FYI I do not consider myself a geek (that's my sons job :)) but have been around computers since MS-DOS. I've upgraded Windows many times over the years, almost always from "upgrade" media. Usually I would have to show Windows my "old" version but other than that always had good luck. This time I didn't even have to do that, W8 just installed.

Only did this today so I'm still poking around but you would have thought MS would have hollered at me before this if I screwed up.

Anyway, cool site. Just thought I'd post the above for entirely informational purposes. No flaming or anything else intended.

Thanks!
  24. cleverest New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you DynoDon for taking the time to post that, i hope I have a similar experience when I do the install!
  25. DynoDon New Member

Thanks Received:
    You're welcome. I was pleasantly surprised it went as smoothly as it did. Hope you have the same luck. Let us know how it goes.

Now AFA W8 goes, I'm not sure I like it yet. Learning curve steepened considerably. ;) I'm gonna have to play with it a lot more before I convert. Once beyond the new desktop I like what I see but I need to learn how to configure the opening screens, task bar, and other stuff to my liking better. My install is on a 5-6 year old HP desktop. No touch screen here so having fun learning. :ohwell: