1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Gets Off To a Slow Start, According to The NPD Group

Discussion in 'News' started by Cristian_25H, Nov 29, 2012.

1. cyneater

Thanks Received:
    Windows Vista was a steaming pile.
    But for many people like myself it was better than windows XP-64bit and it added direct X10 support.

Windows 7 is awesome runs great pretty much a fixed version of windows Vista.

Windows 8 IMO is a backwards step. I really want to know what drugs they were smoking.
    The gui is awful. Yes there is an icon called desktop but it’s the same as windows 7.
    IMO windows 8 is a mobile phone os that has been forced up on the people.
    Windows 8 is the fisher price os.
    I can't find any new features that are cool or worthwhile. I actually felt sick when using windows 8.

I heard windows 9 logo is just 1 square!:p And the drop the S MS window :p

But each to their own.

Ever since XP I use the windows classic theme.
    I even moved from Ubuntu because I though unity was an abomination ( it isn't compared to windows 8) to Lubuntu or LXDE because its light weight and gets the job done.

Ill keep windows 7 to play games and continue to dual boot.
    If you think about it windows 8 makes sense from a profit point of view. As if you want a new computer with windows 7 you can’t get one. So many metro haters will just buy a console to make games.
    this would be a perfect time for Valve to make a gaming linux distro .... hint hint ...

The artical should be called windows 8 gets off to a slow - tile ! :p
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  2. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    windows vista was a crap os at release but with the service packs it became much better, I would run vista with the sp's any day over xp, 7 was a streamlined version of vista, and 8, I bought 8 already and after using it for about a month I went back to 7 its not a bad os but Its not my thing and I have a touchscreen lcd also.
  3. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    W8 + Start8. All the improvements of W8 without the bitching :toast:
    H82LUZ73 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    I disagree, I am also one of those who bought it for $15 I ran it for a month (using start 8) and still removed it. Even with a start button on the desktop it still flits between desktop and metro apps depending on what file types you're working with, I personally don't think it's as stable as 7 as I did have quite a few BSOD even without OC which I have never out of 2 years of using 7 had. I am happily running Windows 7 x64 and although Windows 8 is slightly faster to boot up, it hardly matters when you have 8GB RAM and a 240GB SATA3 SSD, I can spare the 2 seconds :cool:
  5. acerace

acerace

Thanks Received:
    Why do we need to buy a software on Windows 8 to make it look like Windows 7? Isn't it easier to just use Windows 7?

Yes, there are performance improvements, but that is just small.
  6. Fx

Fx

Thanks Received:
    because it sucks...
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It isn't just performance improvements. There are other improvements that are worth upgrading to Windows 8, the improved file transfer window and task manager are pretty darn nice.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  8. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    You can define the default program to handle specific filetypes. The first time you open a png, jpg, etc. W8 asks you what program do you want to use (if you have several that can handle the same filetype). It was annoying for about a week while I custimized it to my liking but after that it was a smooth sailing. :cool:

Some drivers might need updating to work correctly on W8. Haven't had any driver related issue apart from the BF3 memory leak but that happens in W7 too.

To tell the truth I wouldn't have tried it if it wasn't because of the $15 upgrade offer but after that I went and bought two retail upgrades (yes, the $69 ones). I'm liking it that much. Can't argue about being satisfied with W7 thought. :toast:
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. naoan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I already used process explorer long before Windows 8 first preview, and I would continue use it if I ever install Windows 8. The file transfer improvement is nice but I never really need it and there are a lot of good free alternatives anyway if I do need one.

Imo, definitely not worth the hassle that come with Windows 8.
  10. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Would it be too much to ask MS to put back free space in the friggin status bar? I need to see free disk space at a glance for each of my local and net drives in the windows explorer status bar at the bottom. I don't need to click through a dozen icons to see that!
  11. TurdFergasun New Member

Thanks Received:
    sell windows 7 for $30 and watch it outsell 8 @ $15 10 to 1.
  12. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I like the speed improvements in win8, especially file copying. But put back the standard user features and info. For a corp type os I expect to see disk space usage in the taskbar. Why is that gone?
  13. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    Hahah, it would totally be true! :laugh:
  14. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    One of the biggest reasons I can not uninstall Win7 ..I need it for my Income Tax software.....Which is just a month or two away.
  15. cyneater

Thanks Received:
    Id buy windows 7 for $30 ... before I would buy windows 8 for $1