1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Gets "Overwhelmingly Negative" Response from Vendors, Expectations Plummet

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Oct 15, 2012.

1. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    Windows 8 is great... With start8
  2. Depth

Thanks Received:
    I think you mean gr8.
  3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    That was what I was hoping the start screen would be. Or be able to fully customize the tiles re size and placement. That would be pretty nice imo.
  4. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Silly question Windows 7 ultimate allows for dual CPU's I plan on going to dual CPU's in the next build is Windows 8 PRO going to allow this since it is replacing 7 ultimate or is Microsoft saying to hell with multi-CPU owners with standard desktops?
  5. Am*

Thanks Received:
    While Windows 8's Metro UI is still a giant turd IMHO, I'm going to be buying Windows 8 for the unified printer drivers and the return of audio hardware acceleration, if nothing else.

Going to be a major pain in the ass to re-learn the ins and outs and having to disable all the bloatware crap that it will come with (which is what I did the first few weeks after I got Windows 7, Vista and XP)...and fixing the UI of course, without reverting to third party registry-probing malware.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  6. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Audio hardware acceleration :confused:

[​IMG]
  7. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
  8. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Windows 8 is Microsoft's 3rd attempt to reincarnate the Zune interface...

1st was Zune... Failed.
    2nd was Windows Phone... Failed.
    3rd is Windows 8... Expected to fail.
  9. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Aero means that much to you? It tended to slow down systems at the expense of eye candy so that's why they removed it. Taskbar is still transparent though.

Man I loved my Zune, Microsoft's downfall was the lack of apps for the Zune HD. If it had that, I would have a Zune a opposed to an ipod right now. Zune software is also way better than iTunes.

Windows Phone is picking up steam now, people who are bored of IOS or sick of Android are looking at Windows Phone, so I see a bright future for it.

For every analyst/vendor/tech writer who says it will fail there is one that says it will do great, so you're basically just generalizing.
  10. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    Quick, post a link or two before I call you a BULLSHITTER!!! :shadedshu:eek::confused:
  11. Am*

Thanks Received:
    Luckily for you, I bookmarked both articles. I'm not going to post links to every article I comment in, next time Google it yourself, yer' lazy bugger...

Here's the lengthy post from Microsoft about their printer drivers' overhaul.

And here's the one I read regarding audio improvements. Since almost nobody has givan a single shit about audio latency and hardware acceleration improvements (since the days of ye' good olde XP), don't expect Microsoft to brag about any of it in their blogs until the release of the final OS, where they will put those improvements in the bottom of some 100,000 page manual.
    Prima.Vera says thanks.
  12. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    It's your job to back up your statements.
  13. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:

I see some improvements on the audio part, but still no 3D Hardware sound support or 3D spatial sound reference...
  14. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    If it's ASIO I'm in. :D
  15. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    ASIO driver are for Win 7 as well?
  16. saknid

Thanks Received:
  17. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    WOAH WOAH WOAH

No.. just no.. the zune software was one of the worst software experiences ive ever had to endure.
  18. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Aero never slowed down even a maching using 2 GB of ram and a P4 or even the Athlon XP machine. (It might of during vista)

19. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Aero is still on Windows 8 but without glass and transparency besides taskbar. You can't disable it IIRC.

Aero shouldn't slow anything, it even plays nice in my Netbook w/Atom n455 and GMA 3150 graphics without any noticeable performance drawbacks. The only issue there is the battery duration.

In my case I wouldn't consider a Windows Phone now as it still lacks a good app ecosystem, besides I used Windows Phone 7.5 on a Nokia Lumia 610 and it's too cumbersome for me. I would choose either iOS or Android (doubt I would be sick of both), being the latter my current one and won't plan to switch over.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  20. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Haha sorry man, Zune software is actually great, try using it lately?

Ya battery drain is probably the biggest thing, though I do remember reading somewhere that performance was one of the reasons they removed transparency (hell if I can find the link though).

The app ecosystem is getting there, and to be honest it all depends on what you use. I've had iPhones and I've had Android phones, and the apps that I used that aren't on Windows Phone I don't miss all that much. Things should change though since Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 share the same kernel, so we'll so lots of shared apps coming soon.
  21. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yeah...I'm no digital audio expert and know as well as anyone that iTunes kinda sucks (and furthermore never used Zune myself) but can still say Shib is definitely right.

I will be getting Windows 8...mainly for testing in a VM, at least at first. Was gonna buy promo for $69 but think will just put that cash towards a year of TechNet which I could use now anyway.
  22. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I have extensively for my daughter's Zune. I agree with Shib. iTunes is crap, but Zune is an embarrassment.
  23. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
  24. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    I think it boils down to a matter of preference above all else. In my experiences iTunes is just too bloated these days because it's an all-in-one style program now. The only thing that annoys me about the Zune software is that it will not let you remove the delay from burnt CD's. Every CD adds a 3 second pause between the end of one song and the beginning of the next--I listen to a lot of Progressive music so this is a huge headache.

As for the functionality of the program, I love the way the Zune software organizes (or allows you to organize) songs and albums. It's no longer a library that looks like Microsoft Excel, but instead breaks it down nicely by artist>album by art>list of songs. I'm sure iTunes allows you to mimic the setup, but in my experience iTunes just runs like crap on Windows and changing anything about it exacerbates that feeling.

I will argue to the death that the Zune HD was an amazing MP3 player, as a handheld entertainment device it kind of failed with bad app support, but as an MP3 player it was hands down the best I've ever used.
  25. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    I hated (hate) Zune and iPods. I like my good old drag-drop-play generic MP3 player. Samsung I think? I forget. I haven't used it in 5 years.
    hellrazor says thanks.