1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Graphics Performance

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by W1zzard, Aug 19, 2012.

1. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My health won't allow me to. :ohwell:

Enough about me though.. Tell me more about how awesome this new O/S from Microsoft is! Tell me more about how screwed up my life will be if I don't make the switch!
  2. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    When I try to use an Osx which is mostly unfamiliar I just feel lost. I don't get a this is an annoying gui feeling. In windows 8 I got familiar but could not shake the this is annoying feeling.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Lets just say if everyone adopted Windows 8 there would be peace in Uganda.
  4. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Would you mind elaborating on the hardware/Windows 8 version? Otherwise you just sound like Gabe Newell and his childish explanation of why he thinks Windows 8 is bad :laugh:

I honestly don't see MS changing their attitude about the interface, no matter how much backlash they get from enthusiasts. Consumers will love Windows 8, and that's what MS is aiming for right now. Plus it works with their vision on how how Windows Phone will interact with Windows 8.
  5. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    I have had mixed experiences with Window's 8. Especially regarding stability it particular applications(games). Once I updated my bios to a more W8 friendly update, things got alot more stable...
  6. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Just Uganda?

Come on now you have to do more than that if you want to sell it to me.

(Honestly I haven't taken any notice of anything here. I will only not get Windows 8 on one factor. And that is price. If the price is right I see no reason not to upgrade.)
  7. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    So where is our enthusiast Os. Thats why I hope gaming takes off on linux. I really like how you can find a customized linux distro for your needs. Want a lightweight Os for gaming, use X. Need a super secure Os, use Y. Need something so easy your great grandmother can use it, use Z.

Uganda... thats it... Can I get a bit more world peace? Microsoft will also have some major cashflow coming in too.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Personally I'm not feeling hindered by Windows 8 at all, so I'm not exactly what what makes Windows 7 more of an enthusiast OS than Windows 8. If anything, considering Windows 8 is less resource intensive I would think it would be better for enthusiasts to use. But I digress, with Windows 8 it's going to come down to personal opinion about the GUI that will make people switch/not switch.
  9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry. I thought the latest hipster place for people to give a crap about was Uganda. Used to be Dafur and before that Somalia. Where is it now? Well doesn't matter. Windows 8 will fix it.

Don't let them fool you. They will ALL switch. They just have to hate it because its the "bad" cycle of the MS OS machine. Their sheeple bones won't let them do otherwise.
  10. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Well that's disappointing. Odd so many people were adamant they got a notable frame rate boost after switching to 8. Perhaps RTM is slower or their 7 installs were on older drivers.
  11. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I don't feel windows 7 is an enthusiast Os. It also is a one size fits all Os. Windows 8 is less resource intensive. It ran very well on my laptop. Windows 8 does even better at fitting all sizes. Windows is just really the only option for gamers. I want a selection of Os's to choose from so I can decide which one works best for my needs. It must also have the software compatibility of windows.

You got a laugh out of me on that one.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I bet thier old installs were cluttered. You know how it is. Fresh install of any OS makes things better.
    iLLz says thanks.
  13. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Everyone one of my friends who used my pc when windows 8 was installed hated it.
  14. semantics

semantics

Thanks Received:
    I think "enthusiasts" who complain about a ui that takes less then 1 min to get used to(for me and my gf), if you're half smart is quite silly, sense when do hardware and gaming enthusiasts/"power users" care about the ui of the OS if you're treating it like a game loader or w.e.
  15. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    10fps jump in BF3 and Hard Reset...I'd say that is a bit of a difference. But worth it for the cost of a toddler throw up GUI...nah.
  16. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You're reading the graph wrong, Windows seven is faster in both those games.

The 10 fps difference is going from a 7970 to a 680 :toast:
  17. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    am i the only one who likes the GUI?
    iLLz and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.
  18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I like it a lot.
    iLLz and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.
  19. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Nope,join our little club and you'll find others who like it. Personally I think it's a clean and organized look.

So what? Most of my friends hate the iPhone, doesn't seem to have hurt it's popularity.
  20. Perra New Member

Thanks Received:
    The new gui? Yeah that's the thing that pops up every time I start the computer, I see it for all of 10 seconds before pushing the desktop button.
    I use win8 just the same as I used win7, but then again I never used the start menu and have always used a launcher so the start button being gone is just a plus for me, more space on the taskbar :)

I will probably never use metro or whatever they want to call it now for more than a few minutes here and there, it really doesn't work too good on 3 monitors, but besides that, everything else is better than it was in 7. The new task manager is lovely and being able to have a taskbar on all 3 monitors without a third party app is also nice even though it sucks that you can't pin programs to any taskbar except the main one.

Can't say much about the performance in games since I rarely look at how many fps I get (as long as I don't see it stutter it's all good) but the memory usage is definitely better than win7 and startup/sleep/shutdown times are wonderful.
  21. semantics

semantics

Thanks Received:
    I could take it or leave it, it didn't take much to get used to it, i do like big icon representations to find my programs quickly. I mean it was mostly learning new habits i didn't feel hindered by it, really i'd take windows 8 over windows 7 if i was getting a new os but i don't feel like spending money to get windows 8 for slightly updated things, although i did like the expansion admin tools etc.

If i build a new system though i'd get windows 8 which is likely my personal play computer is 2 years old now.
  22. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Thank you very much for this. It's exactly what I have been waiting to see.. Windows 8.. t^^t.. I figured they'd make some shoddy OS this time and it looks like they did..
    If you can't increase performance then the os is garbage. That's what they get for making a tablet os for REAL computers.. Tablets are toys.. PCs are for big boys..
  23. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have an awful lot of friends and associates :laugh:

And they are a rather varied bunch of folk! Some don't care for tech at all, some are Apple lovers, others enjoy using it but don't really go all out.

It's a nice bunch! and it's a large enough set of people to be considered a mini trial :laugh:
  24. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    it's like having your own little focus group haha
  25. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah if only I could convince them all to buy me lovely presents :laugh: