1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Graphics Performance

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by W1zzard, Aug 19, 2012.

1. laszlo

laszlo

Thanks Received:

you shall look the other side of the coin also

maybe a lot of us are " stereotypical close minded conservatives" but :

-why to buy/upgrade a OS which is better only by the name...
    -even 7 is not mature completely;always updates even after service pack... etc.;won't 8 be the same shit under another name?
    -only now 7 start to be adopted by majority of users (a lot still on xp&vista) so where this 8 fit in?
    - better security on 8? i doubt
    -more control from ms on user with 8

and i can write a lot of more reasons..... but for me the most important is that 8 is coming too soon;i doubt market will embrace it;but if will be a failure who cares ms has enough money they afford to make mistakes

2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    just like ME was right? the fact is if you use a traditional computer (ie anything without a touch screen) there is very little if any reason to "upgrade".
    getting it free on a new pc? most consumers wouldn't downgrade so you could be right about numbers - but since when has that been the determining factor of superiority?

3. N3M3515

N3M3515

Thanks Received:
    FFS, metro UI is a fucking ugly shit man, accept it.
    I applaud how faster, secure, etc it is, but that god damned UI is UGLY as SHIT.

radusorin says thanks.
  4. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    That is your opinion and many others. Don't force that on everyone else that likes it. I sure like it, and welcome the change. I guess im one of the few that accept change in things. :rolleyes:

5. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    wrong many average joe consumers requested an os downgrade frome vista to xp because Vista was a SPOS in speed and reliability dept.

digibucc says thanks.
  6. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the review wizz - good to see that the under-the-cover changes don't free up any more significant resources for applications running on the machine, nor does it impact gaming performance.

I will not be moving any of my machines to win8 unless they give me the option of having a small start menu instead of a start screen. I know that no-one I directly work with will be moving to windows 8 - I will be suprised if the company as a whole even gives it as an option - we can use win7/xp or osx or any one of a number of linux distros but there will be resistence to support something which makes the staff less efficient (and if the staff don't want it I doubt there will be any rush to move to support it). I'm due a new machine next year and you can be sure as hell it will come downgraded to windows 7, and if (by some miracle) not I'll downgrade it myself.

It's not about being resistant to change, it's not about being sentimental about a button - it's about efficiency. I usually have around 8 or 9 fullscreen apps open at once on my machine, split across 3 screens - I am constantly switching between them and resizing them over other windows. When I need to find a file or open a new app I press the start button> type the start of what I want and press enter. I know you can do this on win8. The difference is on win7 when I am using the start menu to search for a file/application it takes a very small section of my screen up - and it's in the bottom left, which on the majority of my applications is deadspace as I've moved the elements around so the bottom left doesn't contain anything oft used. In windows 8 I am thrown out of my desktop screen - when I am searching for files or applications I can't be looking at other applications at the same time. I can't be reading something which gives me a clue on what to search for (for example if I am looking for a javacore with a date+timestamp as the unique name element I can just read it while entering the text on the start menu in windows 7. No need for a mouse or to remember the filename plus 12 numbers. In windows 8 I need to either remember the unique key or use my mouse to highlight it to copy/paste - it requires more effort than windows 7, and that is something I can't erase through learning the new OS).

Sorry for the long explanation but I keep seeing people argue over metro saying that people complain because they are lazy/stupid/afraid of change. There is a legitimate argument that it is less efficient - and that's just the start screen. You can have a max of 2 metro apps visible at the same time on one screen - with a fixed 60/30 split as well - there goes my multitasking straight out the window (and yes I usually have more than 2 apps visible on my main screen at the same time).

It's a shame really, I like the efficiencies in file copy and WDDM that windows 8 brings, but I will not make myself less efficient for the sake of change.

7. N3M3515

N3M3515

Thanks Received:
    I accept whatever i like :)
    That uglyness i don't like so i don't accept it and i'm free to do so, i'm not forcing anybody nor anybody is a zombie or idiot to think as i do without discerning.

So, it's clear that it isn't that i not accept change, i accept changes i like.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
    digibucc and qubit say thanks.
  8. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    :rolleyes:

totally agreed

good to hear ;)

9. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    im currently running windows 8 and i have to say so far everything is great. the UI takes a little getting used to but is not difficult at all. programs load FASTER and install FASTER than on the same rig using windows 7. i was skeptical at first but im pretty sure i am sticking with windows 8.

10. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    wait wait .... what? you use windows? ;)

11. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I kinda thought the same thing from something he said about steam on linux. Putting his money where his mouth is or something.

You can't really escape windows when it has an 85%+ market share. You kinda need it sometimes.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    i use windows for games because WINE is a poor man's alternative and i am not a poor man. i use linux for literally everything else.

i cant wait for the day that i can play AAA title games on linux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crazyeyesreaper, digibucc and james888 say thanks.
  13. Nirutbs

Nirutbs

Thanks Received:
    nice os but i will wait for a while...

14. DeoDomuique New Member

Thanks Received:
    No Win8 for me either. I just made a clean Win7 installation and I'm not looking... back.

Up until now the only program I stopped updating is uTorrent ( 2.2.1 ). None else. Now Win7 is being added in the shooort list.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  15. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    They should of just left this for phones and Called it Windows Mobile Or left option in this during setup to use Metro or Classic 7 interface and be able to switch on the fly pretty much.

digibucc says thanks.
  16. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    that would be awesome. give me the few real improvements but don't make it harder for me to do my job all day? best of both worlds. this is a great idea imo. as i said, unless you use a touchscreen the new interface just makes you work harder.

17. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    ya but people at MS are thinking about the Green n not useability/efficiency. Computers were supposed to increase overall production efficiency back in the day...

radusorin and digibucc say thanks.
  18. DJEscreet New Member

Thanks Received:
    If its not broken dont fix it.

After using XP since not long after first release ypassing vista totally and only upgrading to 7 on my laptop last year and desktop this year, I think i'll be giving it another decade or so till i next upgrade windows.

however i always keep up to date with the latest Linux distro's as soon as theyre available, this i have to say is the future.

Good test and review of the performance variations between 7 and 8 btw. keep up the good work.

19. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tell that to all the people still using xp lol, its superior for touchscreens.:laugh:

20. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    next to 98 se. 7 is fast. xp never was

radusorin and mediasorcerer say thanks.
  21. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    What disturbs me the most is the idea of not giving the consumer options, take for example the start menu?, we spend good money to own microsoft os, i feel its wrong to assume everyone wants to switch to touchscreens with there computing habits, how hard would it have been for ms to include the option to run win 8 the same way as win 7?

Im all for "progress" but why has ms not given us the option to use it like win 7, i have absolutely no need for touchscreens, thats what is making me feel disinclined to update at this stage.

Im sure it's great though.

22. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    In All honesty i think Ms should of called this Windows 7.5

23. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Interface bad, yes. To me, so was Win 7's. That's why classicshell was born! Takes 2 seconds to install, and the classic start button is back, and that lovely win 3.1 interface called metro is gone too! When you strip the crap away, it's just an updated win7 underneath. I've done testing on both my real hardware and in virtual machines, to make sure all is the same. I can't find any discernible difference between the 2 oses. Win8 doesn't seem any faster, and doesn't seem to add much more of anything else. Except maybe ReFS. Which only comes with the server version, although you can hack it into pro and ent very easily. And ReFS is slower than NTSF, and lacks many features, and you can't use it on a boot volume. Hmmm. Well I skipped Vista completely because it sucked, and think I'll skip win8 because most of it's hype seems to be the metro ui, and nothing else!

D007 and digibucc say thanks.
  24. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Looks like crap, wouldn't be able to afford it if it didn't look like crap, currently offers no benefit over Windows 7 for my needs. No Win8 for me, they'll come out with Windows 9 before most people see a need to move from Win7.

25. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I would like to see a certain man of mail respond to this...

Crunching for Team TPU