1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 has reached the RTM milestone

Discussion in 'General Software' started by mtosev, Aug 2, 2012.

1. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Really? OMG!
    I have tried it for more than I care to admit too! This new OS looks like crap UI is what the OS is supposed to have with out it it is just crap! Might as well go back to win 3.11! No my friend you are the joke biting into the BS coming out of Micro$oft! I mean if you want your desktop to look like a cell phone app cool I personally do not! I want my desktop computer to look and feel like a desktop not a cell phone! The JOKE is with Micro$oft putting out new crap to make YOU PAY! :twitch:

2. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Damn, it seems like people are really hating. Like it or not, this is the future for Microsoft.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2620709&postcount=13539

3. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Not if real people do not buy it. If the Sheeple buy it up then yeah we will all be stuck with this crappy looking OS. windows 7 is only 3 years old and they have managed to suck the very life right out of it with this!

4. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    well that settles it. I have to buy it just to spite this guy. Way to go dude!:laugh:

trickson says thanks.
  5. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Aww that is so sweet of you.

6. Maelstrom

Thanks Received:
    Ah, gotta love arguments over opinion.

/sarcasm
    /killmenow

7. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The future of any MS OS is determined by its acceptance and adoption.
    Without those two things being successful they will take a hammering financially and will change course relatively quickly, or at least modify it so it becomes more accepted in the mainstream of both businesses and home user markets.

Ballmer said that Win8 was one of the most risky ventures MS was taking.
    No one can predict what will happen as the market is very fickle in the very short term, but may play out better in the 6 month to 1 year time frame.

If after a few months the adoption rate is good, then it will indeed be the future.
    If not, then expect MS to adopt and implement a contingency plan to bring sales back up.

Just my 2 cents.

trickson says thanks.
  8. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Yes this has been played out with all the windows OS in the past. Just like windows ME and windows 2000 remember just how well they were accepted? I think as some may like the new OS it will not take hold much like the other flops windows put out.

9. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't know, trickson. There has been a huge shift to mobile devices (phones and tablets) in the last couple of years in both the business world and the home user markets.
    You no longer need a desktop to perform a lot of those functionalities anymore, and it would be foolish for MS to ignore this trend as it is their bread and butter.

As for us hardcore gamers and tech lovers ... desktop PCs will always rule due to the ability to upgrade them at will, but I don't think we are a large enough force to invoke widespread change.

This is painfully obvious in the fact that the console market is much more lucrative than the PC market for developers. While consoles are not "mobile", it was their simplicity of use for consumers that pushed their adoption to the average household over and beyond the PC, even though the PC excelled in every other way.

Mobile devices are even simpler than consoles, and if you look at adoption rates of these devices it is obvious that today's generation of users want it all, want it now and want to carry it around.

I have a dumb phone (it just makes callls ... imagine that for a phone :rolleyes:)
    I don't talk on my phone while driving because ... I'm driving.
    I dont text because I would rather have the person call me and ... (gasp) ... talk to me.
    I have a full tower case, that weights a ton, that can hold anything I want to add.
    I'm not in "the cloud", I want to stay in "the dirt" where I know where my data is located.

I know how all this works and how to integrate and use it as it's my job.
    I've been in IT for almost 30 years and have seen and understand the changing trends.
    But I don't use it personally.
    In short ... In my personal use I am a tech dinosaur and that's my choice. So be it.

10. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    RTM = return to microsoft

11. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Darn my tech-net account is up, W8 has some really great features i would like.

12. gopal

gopal

Thanks Received:
    Patna, Bihar, India, Asia, Earth, Terron System, M
    I will like to download it too but my internet sucks speed 12-18 KBPS now you guys do some maths

13. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    DannibusX says thanks.
  14. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    There are 2 players in the mobile software (OS) world, Google and Apple. Microsoft has to be on that market. Many were laughing when Jobs showed that first iPad, now the tablet has become a major player in the mobile world while laptops are beginning to fade. You and I might not like touch but many others do. Also this is the first time that Microsoft will launch its very own mobile device, the Surface, challenging directly Apple's iPad with the RT and also the laptop market with the x86 Pro. We'll see how it turns out.

15. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I love fucking with you, man.

Aaaaaaand you work for Microsoft.

16. trickson

Thanks Received:
    I agree with you. So when do you think the desktop computer will be phased out? It would seem that there is no longer a need for such a large device any more. Making things smaller is the future right? so when will the desktop just die off?

17. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I work for Microsoft on the SQL Server team. nothing to do with Windows. And its only a summer intern/job sort of thing.

desktop computer will be phased out unfortunately in the next 10 years.

trickson says thanks.
  18. gopal

gopal

Thanks Received:
    Lol desktop PC are the best or maybe they will replaced by a new tech?
    But i will pick desktop for the next 5 yrs because they cannot be overheated easily like laptops and netbooks or ultrabooks

19. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Don't worry pc isn't going anywhere. That "pc is dead" crapola is walking around since 90s.
    Actually desktop sales are rising.

20. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    LOL

They all overheat just the same. Doesn't matter what environment your in temperatures will need to be contained.

Denial a bit? Believe it or not, but desktops will be phased out in the next 15-20 years and be taken over by either something we don't know about yet or tablets. There are a lot more people getting tablets and laptops now then desktops.

21. gopal

gopal

Thanks Received:
    @everyone here; i will pick desktop no matter what

22. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    yeah you said that already. no need to announce it to the world.

23. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    I'm not the one who's in denial here. 15-20 years? Really? Are you a prophet or maybe some god? If more people like to play angry birds, temple run or just wasting their days with facebook it doesn't mean that pc is dying. Professionals will always need a huge desktop with several monitors. PC, laptop and tablet have different purposes. I know a lot of people who have all 3 devices and they do it right.

24. gopal

gopal

Thanks Received:
    I am not announcing it to the world i am anouncing it to the whole universe because i am a alien who came from different world that is why i wrote Patna, Bihar, India, Asia, Earth, Terron System, Milky Way Galaxy so my frind can find me eaisily:laugh:

25. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:

Now which one are you going to stick with 10 or the 15 to 20 statement? :roll:

Pc will go nowhere. To many jobs at stake.

Crunching for Team TPU