1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 install restarts then boots old Win 7 OS.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by newconroer, Jul 13, 2014.

1. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Sucks to put up a new thread for this, but can't quite get the search terms correct.

I have a computer downstairs with two hard disks. The first has Windows 7 and the second is just a data storage drive. I used Windows 7 management to shrink the OS drive, to free up space and then formatted a new volume with the spare space.

I then installed Windows 8 onto the net partition. It gets through the setup, copying files, and then restarts the system. After doing so, the computer boots into Windows 7.

Why is it not resuming the Windows 8 install?

I hit F8 during boot and checked, there are no OS options other than Windows 7.

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    While installing Windows 8, disconnect the drive with Windows 7 on it, otherwise it will see that you already have a "system files partition" and it won't install one for Windows 8.

newconroer says thanks.
  3. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    You might try GRUB to see if it can sniff out the Windows 8 installation too...Windows boot manager isn't the best by any means. Maybe grab Hiren's too...might be able to sort it out there as well.

+1 to Erocker's statement, disconnect the Windows 7 drive is another method as well.

newconroer says thanks.
  4. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Windows 7 drive is the same hard disk.

Yes, looks like the install didn't write itself to the MBR properly. I knew this might also be the case when I tried a Repair function on the startup and it failed.
    I then booted Win 7 and checked the new partition I created. It had not been marked as Active, so I tagged it.

When I rebooted, the MBR was hosed, so I did a repair again with the Win 8 install and voila, it rebooted and carried on completing the setup.

:)