1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Launch Event Slated for October 25, Held In New York

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Sep 17, 2012.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft plans to hold a launch event for its upcoming client operating system, Windows 8, on October 25, 2012. The event will be held in New York. In all likelihood, the event leads up to a midnight launch of the operating system on the 26th. Microsoft's next big launch for the year, the Surface, could be part of the event. Windows 8 is Microsoft's next major update to its flagship product, which radically changes its user-interface for the "post-PC era." It is also the first mainline Windows version since Windows 95 to support a machine architecture apart from x86 and IA-64 (Windows 8 RT, supporting ARM).

[​IMG]

Source: The Verge

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  2. Svarog

Svarog

Thanks Received:
    I bet atleast 5 people will show up.

3. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Try a few thousand................

4. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    I would show up if it meant free stuff which usually is the case during these events.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Octavean

Thanks Received:
    Well I live in New York so if the event isnt too far from home I'll be there,.... provided that they are giving away free Surface Tablets to those that attend,.....

Otherwise "F" it,..... ;)

6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I can get it through Dreamspark. Or is that another version?

7. EpicShweetness

EpicShweetness

Thanks Received:
    I hear ya on that one, free stuff is always a good thing!! I'd buy Windows 8 if I had one of those all in one's, and it was offered to me for like $20, but meh. I'll be keeping all my computers running 7.

8. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    windows 8 is on dreamspark

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Frick

Thanks Received:
    So it's released there beforehand?

Anyway I just noticed my eligibility expired. And it's still not sure if I can enroll this year again. Was really looking forward to it. :(

10. Hustler New Member

Thanks Received:
    ..and MS can fuck right off, hell will freeze over before I put this POS on my desktop.

11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Whys that? You hate innovation?

12. Frick

Thanks Received:
  13. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    That is where I got it. I think my eligibility expires at the end of this year. I downloaded every Microsoft product available :laugh:

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    I love it how people say so much crap about Windows 8 and I doubt 99% have even tried it. I tried the 8400 build and I do like it. In fact I like it that much I will be an early adopter of Windows 8.

15. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    ....Or, just like anyone else he likes to blatently hate on anything that has to do with Microsoft releasing a new product.

16. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried it and it's okay. It doesn't give me any reason to switch from what I'm currently using... But I'll switch eventually.

No no no. Some people just don't like it. Deal with it.. Though I don't know if you really need to deal with it. It's not like you work for Microsoft or anything... oh wait.

17. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    WEll I know that, but I also know that most people who don't like Win8 are typically people who have looked at any leaked screenshots and said it fails, etc. Without actually trying it for more then an hour. It took me a full week of using it on my laptop to actually start liking it.

tacosRcool says thanks.
  18. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No, actually you don't know. Unless of course you can show me some proof of this, otherwise it's just an opinion and a biased one at that.

I'm using it on my server right now and at first my thoughts were "this sucks". After a couple hours, my thoughts were "its not too bad". Then, after a day or so my thoughts were "I still prefer the classic start button config and all that, but I'm getting used to this. Which led my to my thoughts in my initial post in this thread. Windows 8 is okay, but it's nothing very exciting for me with the exception of SSD support.

19. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    The event launch will be widely attended. You can bet as much. I do hope though that Microsoft updates Windows 8 and adds an option to have the start menu. Like maybe turn on a 'classic' theme. After all, I have noticed Windows 8 is faster loading games and programs.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Octavean

Thanks Received:
    I have a Technet subscription so I’ll definitely use Windows 8 at some point. I’ll probably deploy it on my Asus Eee Slate EP121 Core i5 Tablet PC first and move on from there. I liked the latest build well enough but haven’t tried the RTM yet.

I dont see any real need to change from Windows 7 though so I can see how some people may want to skip it.

I think if you can get a bench of smaller SSD units to function as one large SSD without RAID 0 and TRIM support, that would be a plus. This feature might be nice with HDD units as well as a replacment for WHS drive extender.

21. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    You know if you switched of the Microsoft logo and name and swapped it for the Apple name and logo, people would be saying it's the best thingthey ever used.

22. doive1231 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Stands to reason

Stands to reason that after the Win Vista debacle MS don't want to hack people off. Therefore, there will be improvements in Windows 8 but I've tried it and they're not enough for me to switch. The interface is worse so I'll stick.

23. KissSh0t

KissSh0t New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have tried Windows 8 for a few weeks now and I will not be purchasing it, this is the first Microsoft OS I will not be upgrading too. It is not worth the hassle.

Windows 7 does everything an OS should. Windows 8 just makes easy tasks difficult.

24. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would go if I was from NYC or near by

25. EpicShweetness

EpicShweetness

Thanks Received:
    Nah! Most of us here are smart enough to know Apple isn't the hype it is. Plus I hate Apple with a burning passion, I'm just saying.

tacosRcool says thanks.