1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Metro/Modern UI

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Moose, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Moose

Moose New Member

Thanks Received:
    Normally I wouldn't complain about a new UI as you tend to get used to the new look but with the new windows 8 UI I just need something different!

I upgraded my win 7 to 8 and I can cope with most of the changes (I hated the start menu anyway, I'm a big fan of using only the desktop), many I prefer over the old op but the UI I just can not stand.

All I can think of is that the new UI is a cross between windows pre xp and high contrast mode, it gives me a headache if I make it a nice colour as it's a solid block at the bottom and top of my screen of harsh colour, and if I make it darker I can't see the text and less saturated makes it grey and dull. Seriously why haven't they still got the aero option?

On windows 7 I used to have a nice deep blue scheme which molded nicely due to the slight glass transparency, now the same colour produces eye capturing bands!

Does anyone know if there will be a way of re enabling something with a bit more fading? I think ms have forgotten what a curve and anti aliasing is!

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    nope, win 8 is screwed. its metro or a broken aero.

hellrazor says thanks.
  3. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Should have stuck with Windows7. I think that they took out all the good stuff and just added touch screen support and dumbed it down because so many people have "smart Phones" and Tablets. It is a sign that the education system in America is screwed up, Who am I kidding , It is plain FUCKED up! The UI is just plain stupid, Like some workers kid at M$ made it! What a joke.

4. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    win 8 made me think my graphics drivers were broken, with the 'flat' dead looking aero.

5. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    what aero? is there aero in 8?

6. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    no.

7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    thats the problem. the interface looks like win 7 when aero broke.

8. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    I upgraded as well and personally, im not a huge fan of the metro ui but I can stand it. This is my third go around with the 8 metro ui, first time absolutely hated it, second time still hated it, and 4rd time, still don't like it all that much lol.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    no wonder it seems faster lol.

10. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    The reason why i can't stand the new UI is because I rather have all the softwares running entirely inside the sandbox of Modern UI instead of switching between desktop and Modern.

It's very confusing and counterproductive. One or the other... Not both.

11. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    thats why they should of left the Classic Gui alone and had the option to use one or the other during setup and then switch between them if need be

12. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    You mean like how there are 6 menus?

Lower Left Start > metro
    Right Click Start > Second Menu
    Top Left > Switch Windws
    Top Right > Third Menu
    Third Menu > Control Panel
    Third Menu > System Settings

I think there is another as well.

Mussels says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    i know how much more confusion is there needed?

14. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Get over it. It is the UI of the future whether it looks good or not. Desktops have a very limited lifetime left thats why microsoft went the way they did with it. Optimized it to work so well with Tablets and phones, because more and more people are going that route rather then desktops. Desktops will really only been in the work force in the near future. I already know a lot of families switching over to tablets and laptop hybrids and ditching the desktop all together.

15. hawk767

hawk767

Thanks Received:
    I also have trouble with this ideal of doom saying for a platform. Sure tablets and phones are booming right now but I also believe that with the prices of modern hardware pcs are getting easier to buy for the price.

Personally I have liked windows 8 so far if only for the performance boost I get. I see the distaste with the removal of aero and I don't particularly understand it either.

The way I think it, they are trying to build an interface that can be used throughout their whole line of products, pc, xbox, and tablet+phone. This seems to me like an attempt that has fallen more on the side of the tablet of course and a bit for the xbox and the pc is losing out in a few ways.

I am looking forward to any possible updates to come.

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  16. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Its going to happen. there has already been reports of steap declines of PCs being bought.

17. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Some of Microsoft's customers don't like it. Get over it. Freaksavior make a good point with the menu's. It's a counterproductive mess. Know what would be a good idea? A choice in how you want to navigate your O/S. People like to have choices.

trickson, 95Viper and qubit say thanks.
  18. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    I am over it. I don't like it all that much for desktop either, but I understand why it went this route. And even more when I see the sweet new touchscreen laptop/tablet hybrids.

19. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    I like everything about win8,cant say anything negative about it. And loading and shutdown speeds are faster,and program opening speeds ar better,have no issues with any drivers.

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  20. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    In the US alone about 65% of people use a desktop PC. That's 202,000,000 million people. Time is valuable to people. Most people don't want to waste time with counterproductive things. Microsoft made a bad move not giving people the choice. Luckily there's already some pretty good 3rd party apps to give people what they want. It's a shame MS didn't include it for their customers.

trickson and eidairaman1 say thanks.
  21. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Initially didn't like the UI, but I customized the tiles that I will be using most and ordered it in the way I like it, memorized few key short cuts and I am slowly getting used to it.

Above all the new Netflix Tile/UI/APP works much better, quality looks great. Finally they break away from worthless Silverlight I guess.

22. hawk767

hawk767

Thanks Received:
    Comes down to matter of opinion and preference. I do not own a laptop and if I ever do it will be purely for travel and work. I have a desktop because I prefer it this way and there are many many people who own desktops so no reason to make your assumption.

I think what it comes down to is people getting used to the new UI and either customizing it to their liking or if they cant come to liking it just going back to windows 7 until microsoft gets a more optimized version for pc.

23. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Enough said. I will stick with Windows 7...

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    I am working in Word and I receive no indication that someone answered me on skype, etc. How productive is that?
    Modern UI (Metro) is a rogue state within a state, a parallel world you do not need, and a waste of available screen size.

25. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Reinstall Windows 7, be happy. :)

Windows 8 isn't the first turkey that Microsoft have produced, but it just might be their biggest. Oh well, we're approaching Christmas.

95Viper says thanks.