1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 rollback to 7 or XP

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Zebeon, Feb 4, 2013.

1. _Zod_ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thunderbird is an ideal replacement. I use Classic shell to add a start menu to Win 8 which also allows you to boot directly to the desktop. Also I use a program that removes the ribbon interface from windows explorer: Ribbon Disabler
    Zebeon says thanks.
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Windows Live Mail, it basically is Outlook Express, it is Outlook Express for Windows Vista/7/8.

I also second Classic Shell, if getting used to Metro is her biggest complain(along with Outlook Express) then Classic Shell along with Windows Live Mail might just be the ticket to making her happy with 8.
    Zebeon says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. Zebeon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I looked up Classic Shell, I will definitely give it a try!

I have never used windows mail, I guess I didn't realize it was in win8.

Thanks for the tips everyone- This is a much better solution than trying to go back to win xp or something crazy like that.

:rockout::rockout:
    qubit says thanks.
  4. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
    The Iobit one is more for you or me but the classic shell does have that XP look.
    Zebeon says thanks.
  5. Zebeon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think that, like you say, might be a better fit in this case.

I think she is frustrated more than anything and just wants it to work... LOL
  6. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, if you take out that retarded Metro interface and ignore the lack of Aero, it feels very much like Windows 7. I miss Aero in Windows 8, but the new flat style is still surprisingly nice to look at, in my opinion.

Because of this and the fact that being the latest OS it should have the longest support and the most compatible drivers with that hardware, I say keep it if possible. Classic Shell and similar utilities will go a long way to make Windows 8 sane.
  7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You can still turn transparency on, on the borders. It just doesn't have the fake glass highlights.