1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 worth it?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by runevirage, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Sh00t1st

Sh00t1st New Member

Thanks Received:
    One question, why is microsoft trying to kill its own baby ?
    It's as if they see apples encroaching market share as a sign to jump ship from a mouse and keyboard centered model to touchscreen, it doth baffles mee !!
    And yeah i know the desktop is still there and i imagine you could easily turn off the tiles feature but when most people who aren't tech literate cant even find the run command when you tell them where it is or how to search for it using the windows search feature, it really puts doubt into my mind as to the effectiveness of 8.
    I personally might upgrade to it if i ever find a powerful tablet, but otherwise no.

2. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Edit - Company Of Heroes never played smoothly on Windows 7 for me on various installs? I'm now playing it fully maxed DX10 with full AA and smooth as a peach. I'm really enjoying this OS so far :)

3. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    i always wait about 6-9 months before switching to a new OS it give time to get some bug & security fix or a SP1

But not sure ill switch for Windows 8 that quick this time i may wait a full year or wait for the next windows after that , idk ill have to wait & see how it goes (win8) over time

4. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Minimum res for 8 is 1366x768.

5. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    minimum rez is 1024x768

"Microsoft is planning for tablets that use both the 1024x768 and 1366x768 resolutions common in earlier and lower-end tablets as well as the high-DPI screens that are being (and will be) ushered in by the new iPad"

1366x768 is only if you want the snap thingy, thats what ive read so take with a truck of salt.

LifeOnMars says thanks.
  6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    DX10 always ran like ass for me in that game, so i always maxed DX9 instead.

LifeOnMars says thanks.
  7. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Really? How come it's working then? :confused:

EDIT - Just seen phanbuey's post :)

8. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    what version of vmware player do you have?

9. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why would you use VMWare player? Why not just make a partition on a drive and install it properly? Its not like mac or something where theres a lot of complications.... unless you have a specific reason

10. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    You can't disable Metro and bring back the start menu starting with the Consumer Preview and newer.

The start screen is a productivity nightmare. Even shutting down is a PITA. I'm all for Metro being the default option, but power users need to be able to disable it entirely.

So far, we can't. We are forced to use at least the new Start screen.

11. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    Personally wont change for quite sometime maybe 1 year or so, the thing that might make me move to Windows 8 is games.
    If Microsoft could just listen to people rumbling about wanting to disable the Metro UI, and go ahead and give an option that comes with classic start button it would be nice, even tho the desktop on Windows 8 does not look as good as Windows 7/Vista, but with an option for classic start button on it would make very many people to consider moving to it despite it falling shot on looks.

Microsoft should make the setup detect the peripherals attached to the machine/device detect and determine whether the machine/device is a tablet or Laptop/Desktop so it can recommend the type of interface, eg Options are

When installing

I would like this option 1

1: When the Windows 8 installation is at the final stage of installation right before setting up a computer name and user name, there should be one menu before that asking a Laptop/Desktop user a question like this:

Q: Which type of user interface would you prefer?
    A: Metro UI Without Start Button
    B: Classic Style Windows With Start Button but Without Metro UI
    After installation there is still an option in the control panel for the user to switch to whichever interface any time they'd want to change.

2: When the Windows 8 is installed it determines the type of machine/device/hardware and chooses the interface appropriately without asking,
    A: If tablet, automatically it chooses Metro UI
    B: If desktop/laptop automatically it chooses Classic Style Windows With Start Button but Without Metro UI
    After installation there is still an option in the control panel for the user to switch to whichever interface any time they'd want to change.

Just my thoughts, too bad Microsoft doesn't listen to free advice they have to pay you to listen to you, so i guess this will never happen

remixedcat says thanks.
  12. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    and so many people on other forums have issues with having options like that.... I think your solution is excellent.

13. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    VM is easier to trash if you're tired of it and you don't have a small partition just hangin there that you can barely use. Also you run into other boot issues as well... it's more of a PITA....

get sick of 8, trash the vm and not worry about boot options/recovery (if something fucks up) and you can port it to another machine.... can't do it with a regular partition....

14. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    If VMWare isn't working right (VMWare Workstation 8 worked fine for Win8,) I would give VirtualBox a try.