1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 9 release in April 2015

Discussion in 'General Software' started by DRDNA, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Blue-Knight

Blue-Knight

Thanks Received:
    Maybe on Windows. I use Xubuntu and it lets me with a little more than 1700MB for me to use with I want.

And that's if I let the window manager running. If I disable it, I will have 1800MB out of 2000MB to spend with real applications and productivity!

And that's because if I have 1900MB available out of 2000MB the kernel seems to allow only "free memory -100MB"(approximately) to be used by programs.

Not sure.

2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    But that would require common sense from MS, and i don't know about that.

For ever changing moving removing shit that don't need to be moved rarely helps user performance. Like how many more times they going change the control panel OMG stop already..

3. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    nothing against anyone in particular, but this thread needs to be closed because it is just stupid: i like it, I do not, I like it, i do not.

please, consider that opinions are like assholes, every animal in this zoo has one.

4. Blue-Knight

Blue-Knight

Thanks Received:
    Just like the one you've just posted.

5. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    hey hey stop it! Nothing compares to my post(s)!! :peace:

6. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright folks. Cool it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:

You should really look into how Windows manages memory more. Notice I said on my machine(a laptop) it only uses 0.9GB. Windows targets RAM usage at about 25% of the total memory installed in the compute, of course it can only go so far. It is extremely efficient with managing memory. If you have 4GB of RAM, like my laptop, it will use about 1GB when idle. If you have 8GB it will use about 2GB. It doesn't really go above 2GB though, so adding 16GB of RAM will still result in about 2GB of RAM used idle.

It manages to do this by paging the less important processes related to the less important services. These are the services that some people spend hours going through and disabling to save memory. But it isn't really necessary, because Microsoft has already optimized this and will page these services if it needs to.

However, like I said there is a limit. If you have 2GB of memory it will use about 0.75GB.

But in the end, it doesn't matter how much memory it is using, what matters if the machine runs smoothly. And even with 2GB of RAM, Win8.1 runs extremely smoothly and works perfectly for everything but playing games. My HTPC has 2GB of RAM, and works perfectly for watching movies, browsing the web, Office apps, I even run Photoshop on it.

It isn't wasting RAM, it is using it efficiently and adapting to the situation it is in. An OS sitting there using very little RAM doesn't mean it is not wasting RAM, and an OS using the RAM it has available is not an OS that is wasting RAM. The RAM is there to be used, and Win8.1 knows that.

So I'll rephase my statement slightly to clearify. Who cares Win8.1 idles using 2GB of memory when you've got 8GB?

Edit: I'm not trying to keep the argument going, I just trying to get the information on how Windows manages memory out there, because there are a lot of people that don't know.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  8. Blue-Knight

Blue-Knight

Thanks Received:
    I'm not even going to reply or read your entire post because I do not want to be banned in one more forum.

I'm leaving this topic. Happy New Year and sorry anything!

9. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:

I also have foregone W8 for those reasons, as well as the accursed Windows Store.

qubit says thanks.
  10. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:

That depends on how successful the cranial-rectal extraction is on the Windows development team...

11. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Arctucas - please don't double post.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i consider moving to win 9
    i guess m$ will release something better than 8. yeah i dont like metro, i prefer something simple like xp with 7 looks and new architekture
    and usually windows is up and down, so 7 is up, 8 is down and (i hope) 9 will up too.
    and i just hope m$ wont push its costumer to eat what they offer, remember when m$ released win 8 and push the market to accept it coz bla.. bla.. bla.. and it aint work, so i hope m$ wont do that again

13. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Windows? Blah! I've noticed there has been a nice push lately (steam, software/gaming developers) to get stuff out on Linux. While I can't stand using Linux, I'm hoping in a few more years there will be a very (stupid) user friendly version. Windows needs competition.

14. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    linux fight windows, yeah everybody knows that, i mean when windows tries to make everything easy as possible, linux is kinda harder to do more if you dont get its command line
    and its driver, i wonder why they dont make like any emulator at driver level so its its easier for anyone
    but return to windows, personally i like simple system with straight forward and reliable features, just wait and see how abou new windows

15. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    Handout a copy of Start8 with every copy of W8 so everyone is happy

16. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I use custom discs with bundled updates. The OS is pretty much ready to go after installation. I was speaking generally it's an inconvenience for people because most casual builders won't use any of those shortcuts and would benefit from an official update bundling despite other options existing. Though it occurs to me maybe MS updates their SP1 discs silently every time they burn a new batch. I haven't used the stock discs for awhile so idk.

17. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    "run the installer....." What installer?

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  18. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    MS writes the OS for the average joe- computer illiterate people-dont know shi+ not the power user- black viper is the one who spent the time to go through all of their processes and figure out their functions.

19. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    It creates a folder, in that folder is a file called "updateinstaller.exe", you run that on a fresh machine and it installs all the updates for you.

stinger608 says thanks.
  20. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully there are some big improvements over Win7, which is still a pretty badass OS.

21. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, I guess I need to look closer LOL. loaded up an XP on a vm and installed WSUS but didn't see that file. Will look again; thanks Tekie!!!

22. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Might aswell start being a tester of ReactOS.

23. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    WSUS and WSUS Offline Updater are different things. WSUS is a Microsoft tool, WSUS Offline Updater is a 3rd party tool that downloads all the updates and creates an installer for you that you can put on any machine. It basically makes a service pack for you that you can use on any machine without an internet connection.

24. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    Right, that is what I got was WSUS Offline.

25. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Here's what Peter Bright of Arstechnica says:

Which I think would be excellent.