1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

windows automatic updates

Discussion in 'General Software' started by bigscale, Jul 5, 2007.

1. bigscale New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have some questions about the windows automatic updates in windows xp pro w sp/2. ive got about forty updates they recommend , mostly for security but i only installed two today. after installing them i found them in my add/remove programs in the control panel, if i add all these updates that is a lot of space on my hd almost 1 gig. i thought that updates just updated files and not created new programs. should i innore all these update suggestions from microsoft?

2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Well, I recommend it as a lot of security updates add stability, some of them close easy access loopholes for hackers/viruses/trojans/etc. How much space do you have left on your HDD? I always get all the recommended updates, just what I've always done, and I never had issues with XP Pro/SP2 after the updates. Vista has few updates as of yet in comparison to XP (Vista still has quite a few updates though), but I'm sure that'll change! Hope that helps!

bigscale says thanks.
  3. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    its simple, just install anything found using the automatic section.

anything found in the custom section is optional if you want it.

a lot of crap you dont think you want is used to make other stuff run right so we get stuck with constant boatload full of updates forever. yes it will slow down the computer a tad but not as much as that security issue will if you didnt update to patch it.

this is why we all hate bill gates, windows is too full of crap!

bigscale says thanks.
  4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    If you worry about space you could download all patches and add them to your installation disk using nLite. Then reinstall Windows completely, that way you have a fully patches but not bloated installation.

bigscale says thanks.