1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Window's crash loses IE passwords

Discussion in 'General Software' started by MT Alex, Apr 7, 2011.

1. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Why is it than when I get a hard crash and restart, I have to relog into all of my internet sites? I used to get quite a few resets before I switched the I/O panel in my case, I'm pretty sure it was a bad USB, and that would lose them. Today I got a typical ATI driver related bluescreen when Alt-Tabbing out of BC2, and that cleared them, as well.

It's not a big deal, it rarely happens, but I was just wondering what the mechanics behind the problem were.

2. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The mechanisms keeping track of the sites you're logged into are cookies.

For whatever reason IE is losing your stored cookies when your system crashes. It's possible that IE thinks it wrote the data to disk, but instead it was in the system file cache and was never flushed to the disk.

I'm betting it's not the system file cache, but a problem intrinsic to IE. Since I don't use IE (except when I want to cry :D), I can't help you.

Also, cookies don't actually store your passwords, they store some form of unique identification key.

MT Alex says thanks.
  3. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Yup, I'm familiar with cookies. I just couldn't figure out why they would be cleared after crashing. I was guessing either cache or losing something in the Temp folder. Weird.

4. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    you should be doing this anyways.