1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows Defender Released

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Oct 25, 2006.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft has released the final version of its Windows Defender anti-spyware utility. Windows Defender is a product of the Microsoft acquisition of GIANT Software. Previously known as Windows AntiSpyware, after a two years beta period it's now available for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 under the name Windows Defender. Windows Defender incorporates Real-Time Protection to monitor systems for spyware activity, automated spyware removal with scheduled scans, full integration with Internet Explorer 7.0 and automatic spyware definition updates from Microsoft. Windows Defender is available freely to all customers running a genuine copy of Windows. Microsoft has also announced that customers will each be allowed to report two support incidents for free with Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.

Source: DailyTech

2. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Downloading now, I love microsoft free tools. It just Make life easier.

3. bornfree New Member

Thanks Received:
    This "free software" may catch the attention of federal anti-trust authorities and make life for microsoft much more difficult in a court room.

4. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think M$ Defender is quite good myself, it has the best background protection of any free anti-spyware product from my experience.

5. jocksteeluk

jocksteeluk New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
    "Microsoft has also announced that customers will each be allowed to report two support incidents for free with Windows XP and Windows Server 2003."

What does that mean?

6. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I expect it means if Spyware screws up windows a bit they'll help you out for free the first two times it happens. Not too useful for people like us in most cases.

7. Tory New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yay for free tools! This goes to show that microsoft does care about the customer and is actually doing something about it.

8. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    And, it works pretty well, thusfar @ least (I don't usually turn up spyware/malware etc. & had a "false positive" from NAV the other day it seems, but other than that? NOT FOR YEARS here!)...

Above all - I hope I don't HAVE to find out how well it works, in the first place, lol!

:)

* It's very simple to use, installs a GUI client & service running, and updates pretty well (but I found out you HAVE to keep "Windows Updates" service running AND enable it in the System Icon in control panel for the updates to download & take).

Other than that? It's pretty looking & again, simple to use!

APK

9. Canuto

Canuto New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll trust the expert opinion :)

10. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    Ah, we are ALL "experts" when it comes to running software on our OWN systems, & all that matters is your OWN opinions when it comes right down to it!

APK

11. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    Yeah well microsoft fucked up the first day it released. It told me to validate and bam validation failed. Wow i could validate other things like WMP and direct x and stuff but this....yea after an entire day it finally allowed.

12. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Validation is screwed, it has messed me about with my genuine copy of XP a few times...