1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows Die's w/Tri-Fire

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Bytor, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Bytor

Bytor New Member

Thanks Received:
    I installed Vista last night and got it all up and running with the latest ATI drivers. I started with one card and once I had the drivers installed then added the 2nd 3870. Everything ran great in crossfire till I added the 3rd 3870, and when I went to start it back up it would not boot into windows.
    I shut it down and removed the 3rd card but the damage was already done and ended up reinstalling Vista.
    I have installed Vista 4 more times today trying to get Tri-Fire working, but it just keeps killing windows on boot.

Anyone have any ideas whats up?

Thanks
  2. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    check that the 3rd card works properly, try installing drivers with all 3 cards installed..
    Bytor says thanks.
  3. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Or have Device Manager install the ones that need to work... Some times with vista, the device manager is what needs to do the install instead of cd's or autoinstalls
    Bytor says thanks.
  4. Bytor

Bytor New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 3rd card works great. Had it running alone for awhile.

Even with out the drivers installed the same things happened.
  5. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    Are you sure you have enough power going to the cards?
    Bytor says thanks.
  6. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Tri needs more then 750w.... they rate to be above 850 or more.. it might be the psu...
    Bytor says thanks.
  7. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    ok, hold on for a sec... "kills windows"?
    that sound a bit wierd... to be honest its not sounding possible... i mean windows is an operating system on your harddrive that will not / can not be affected by a graphic card installation before it boots up fresh from the disk...

worst case scenario, your PSU is not giving them enough juice and you get a black screen... but for vista to not boot, i find that unlikely... and if that were the case, on the next boot you could boot on one card in safe mode....

To have to reinstall windows just in order to see the screen again becuase of vista is not the problem.

Perhaps describe what actually happens... like you boot windows... you get a blank screen... or you get graphical corruption on boot... or the monitor lights blink and the lcd panel says "no signal"... either way i seriously doubt your windows installation is going to get messed up becuase you installed another card... bios just wont do that to an operating system on boot.
    Bytor says thanks.
  8. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    do the cards work without crossfire enabled?
  9. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I tried a 3870X2, my friends, and both of my 3870's not to long ago. I could get the X2 to work with one 3870 for about 5min til the system crashed and with all of the cards in my system no go. Recently found my PSU is bad so I'll try again when I get a working one back.

Bytor, where's that awesome Avator? Don't tell me your quittin on rush!!
    Bytor says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    like the others said PS is the probably the prob. Your specs says 750 watt PS..what 750watt PS?
    Bytor says thanks.
  11. Bytor

Bytor New Member

Thanks Received:
    It goes to a screen and I choose resume windows. I let it sit there for 1 hour and it never made it into windows. I tried restarting and the same thing. So the only way back in was to reinstall.

It could be the PSU, I could try powering one of the cards with a external PSU.

I tried booting with the cards installed but without the bridges and no go.

Will never give up on Neal, Geddy and Alex......Rush Fan for Life!!!
  12. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    try booting in safe mode then see if it works... must be something with the graphics driver... no need to re-install windows
    Bytor says thanks.
  13. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    sounds like its the psu if you cant get it to work without the crossfire.. whats your 12v led with 2 cards?
    Bytor says thanks.
  14. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    careful if it may be the PS that you dont mess up the hardware while messing around.
  15. Megasty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow, your problems are incredible. I ran a system with 2 3870s, 3 3870s, a 3870x2 & 3870, & 2 3870x2s. The only problems I've had was the GD cat install mess but I was always able to install the cards right after countless times. I got it down to a science now. They really need to fix that BS soon.

The troublesome install can destabilize some systems that aren't completely stable to begin with. I do have a friend that blew one of his HDs after he had to restart his system over 200 times by trying to install 2 3870s. He finally called me after his system wouldn't boot up anymore. I got him a new HD & installed his 2 3870s & cat in 10 minutes. You couldn't imagine the look he gave me :wtf:
    Bytor says thanks.
  16. Bytor

Bytor New Member

Thanks Received:
    It runs like a champ with just 2 cards in crossfire. Its just that 3rd card... May try a 2nd PSU, but not sure I want to go through this !@#$ again.
  17. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    all ways remember one thing Bytor. Whenever your trying out new hardware, ocing your computer or video card, and anything else, its all ways trial and error... It can be pain full and take up all your time... but if you can't just keep at it.. then its better to keep everything stock.. IMO that is
  18. craigo

craigo

Thanks Received:
    Hey Bytor,
    Your problem does sound like lack of power to the cards, can you boot to safe mode? if so do all three cards show in device manager and show the correct driver under properties?...You may also need to run more power direct to your pce bus...on enthusiast boards there is often a 4-pin molex connector for this purpose, also maybe try going into your bios and increasing the frequency of your pcie bus (just a bit!)...iether way i hope you get this sorted with minimum hassle.
    Cheers, Craig0
    Bytor says thanks.
  19. Bytor

Bytor New Member

Thanks Received:
    It won't let me boot into anything windows when I have all 3 cards installed. Just goes to a Resume windows things and thats as far as it gets.
    I purchased the 3rd card just for this reason, but now may not have a use for it.

Here is what my PSU is powering other than the MB plugs:

Sata CD/DVD Rom drive
    Sata WD 640 gig HDD
    2 Visiontek 3870 Video cards
    Swiftech MCP355 water pump
    Swiftech MCP350 water pump
    5 141 CFM 120mm Delta fans (on the rads)
    1 80 CFM 120mm Delta fan
    2 low CFM 80mm case fans
    1 small fan under HDD for cooling
    2 12" UV lights
    2 4" UV lights
  20. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    What exact power supply are you using?
  21. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    thats a lot of accessories! have you tried removing some of those and trying the 3rd card? also what is your psu brand, im guessing its not one of the real good ones and its probably no where near 750w of power output during regular operation.
  22. Megasty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Holy! That PSU is being sucked dry. Even an 85%er will be pushed to the limit with that amount of stuff. The 3rd card is clearly too much.
  23. Bytor

Bytor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its the PSU... I didn't want to mess up my install on the 640 gig HDD so I pulled one of my Raptors out of the closet and installed Vista on it just to test the PSU issue on.
    It worked best with all 3 cards installed from the start then install the drivers.

Guess I'll be shopping for a bigger PSU now...How big should I go?

Have this one. Its a 700 Watt I was thinking it was 750.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817189009
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  24. Bytor

Bytor New Member

Thanks Received:
  25. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received: