1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows Disk Defragmenter is not doing its job?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by pepsi71ocean, Dec 12, 2011.

1. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey guys im to the point where i have run Disk Defragmenter about 8 times, and yet i still have alot of red on my C-Drive. And its mostly the steam games, and and the Darthmod that has the fragments.

It took me a long time to get enough stuff deleted so i could run it i now have 17% free space, and it is still continueing to show red everywhere.

What should i do at this point, i hate the fact that windows is crashing often when i try to access my videos drive, which is slowly getting full as well.

i think i should suspect that my Videos drive might be going south?
  2. TotalChaos

TotalChaos New Member

Thanks Received:
    have you tried going into the steam options and defragged the game specific files or have you tried 3rd party defrag tools?

[​IMG]
    pepsi71ocean says thanks.
  3. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    no i haven't but i'll do that now.
  4. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    UPDATE:

Its still heavily fragmented still. are there any 3rd party programs i could use.
  5. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    Do you have enough free space for the defrag? Also from my personal experience most defrag softwares can't manage files larger than 4gb and for some reason Valve really like large files.
  6. TotalChaos

TotalChaos New Member

Thanks Received:
    Raxco Perfect Disk Or Diskeeper 2011 both have trial versions. Be advised that if you are running SSD drives not to defrag them
  7. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Freeware: Defraggler, it's fine and even has x64. Also you can use Auslogics. And of course turn off antivirus, all other programs and internet. So updates won't interact with the process and it'll get faster.

If you want the best solution then just boot from live cd, delete pagefile (also hiberfil and restore points if you want) and defragment entire c: drive. It's better because files won't be in use. Before this you can wipe the free space. All this process will take a lot of time for large HDDs. You can leave it overnight.

For this you'd need to have 18-20% free space. But if you have SSD forget it all.
  8. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    +1 for Defraggler (ccleaner is a nice app too)
    DragonBorn says thanks.
  9. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    As much as I hate to say it, diskeeper 2011. The right settings, using auto defrag, and you'll never see red again. Also, it has special handling for ssds. Very recommended.
  10. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I use ultimate defrag (payware) but I have noticed my steam profile is never fragmented.
  11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    did everyone just ignore the fact that his system is crashing upon accessing one of his hard drives? thats kind of serious, and should be sorted first.

and windows defragger sucks, and files cant be defragged if they're in use. you really should use multiple drivers and/or partitions, and quit every possible program before defragging.
  12. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Yes I read the title and went from there.

OP.

Try out HDTune and run the error scan on the media drive.
    See if it pops up with any bad sectors.
    Also show us the health status of the drive.
    We maybe able to find something out from there.
  13. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    i downloaded HD Tune and ran it not a single bad sector when i rant the test.

Im some what puzzled mainly because my Videos partition is the same as the page file partition, and sometimes when i click on my videos partition windows crashes, or the files go blank,

It makes me wonder. if this is a sign of a disk going south, the part that makes no sense is the only drive that is fragmented is the C drive, and its mostly steam games that are screwed up.

If i didn't have darthmod installed i would take steam off, or maybe see if i could move them to another hard drive.

EDIT:

I figured ide post this up here for S&G

I bolded what HD Tune has highlighted.

Other HDD

14. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    couldnt it just be a codec issue screwing with your OS?
  15. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have though about that, but it happens when you go from my computer to the videos drive, some times it happens when your in videos and go to a folder withing that one, but its very random.

i do have a crap load of file types on there, avi, mpg, mpeg, music, mp3's etic.
  16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    try uninstalling any and all codecs you have. divx, xvid, codec packs, even programs that do video encoding like nero, or anything that converts one file type to another (DVD burning/creating programs)

reboot, install CCCP and tell it to reset to defaults - then reboot again, and try the files/drive.

its a lot of effort, but the only other real way to test it is with a fresh OS install, so... *shrug*

edit: codec issues usually show up as crashing explorer when you load corrupted thumbnails, and more rarely on opening files themselves. usually it wouldnt crash the entire system, but its worth investigating.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  17. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    I like Drone's advice above, also, hiberfil.sys files don't defrag and system volume info/restore files do the same when using Defraggler.

It would seem that available empty space is also an issue and some files should be moved for added headroom.

Try Defraggler and tell us what % is not defragged. http://www.piriform.com/download

Mine always shows 7-9% and some red areas, but performance is not affected.

Is your system backed up?

I run backups to an external drive and delete system restore points from time to time.
  18. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    i downloaded it and it says currently 37%, but its defraging as we speak.
  19. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    I had a similar issue with my RAID 0 drives and my Steam Folder. Lot's of red and defrag didn't help much. It would also do a file check and kept on replacing Steam files then when I go into Windows, Steam auto updates and puts the files back.

I found out that one of my drives is not working properly. Removed it, recopied my Steam folder to one of them and now everything is running great with no red.
  20. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    define not working correctly? i have the Seagate, Sata drives that were known to run great, but had a slight failure rate.
  21. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Well Defragler works well . 2% is all that is fragmented on my HDD's now . Not bad at all for a free program . and A lot better than the one that came with windows . Strange you would think windows 7 64 bit would have the best there is but After running the windows defrag and then installing this one and running it , WOW night and day !
  22. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Try this, Ashampoo WinOptimizer 8.
    It has a defragger. It is free if you download, install and get your key before midnight 12/19/2011.
    See this thread for info.

Or, I would recommend PerfectDisk, Diskeeper, or O&O Defrag. The newer versions, especially, if you need/want SSD optimization.
    Personally, I prefer PerfectDisk, and have tried the others. They are all basically the same, IMO.
    Just my own taste.:)

Another free option is Auslogics Disk Defrag
    Download page at Majorgeeks
  23. trickson

Thanks Received:
    I would not recommend O&O or PerfectDisk as I have used them both found them to be less than good and when or if you want to uninstall them you were SOL on getting ride of all of it . Just my honest take on them 2 is all .
  24. trickson

Thanks Received:
    The only thing I am having a problem with is this .

( C: ) , NTFS, Capacity: 931.4 GB, Used: 137.4 GB (15%), Free: 794.0 GB (85%)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Total size: 3.0 GB, Fragmented Files (1), Total Fragments (2)
    Filename Fragments Size Path
    hiberfil.sys 2 3220451328 C:\

I can not seem to figure out how to get this ONE file to defrag . Any one have an Idea ?
  25. jagjitnatt New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's the page file. You can't defrag while Windows is on.
    trickson says thanks.