1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Discussion in 'General Software' started by jsmin, Dec 13, 2012.

1. jsmin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    First off welcome to TPU and secondly what version of Windows do you have installed? and Windows Media Player version?

EDIT:In Windows XP the command 'regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll' that you ran will disable video thumbnails. You can also, run 'regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll' to disable Image thumbnails. You are just registering dll's and unregistering dll's

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
    jsmin says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. jsmin New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm using Windows Media Center (Windows XP) and Windows Media Player version 10.00.00.4081. Again, any help you can give me will be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012