1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows Firewall Troubleshoot.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Meow9000, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Meow9000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My girlfriend has been having trouble with her Laptop lately and brough it around this evening for me to have a look at, I've done all i can but for the life of me i can work out why Windows Firewall wont turn on.

I've done everything i can think of off my head. I've ran several anti-virus and malware scans and nothing come back. checked what processes are running and checked them all out and they all seem legit.

Anyone have any ideas because Im running low on them

2. Loosenut

Loosenut

Thanks Received:
    My NOD32 AV has a built-in firewall and and sometimes cancels out Windows firewall... Maybe?

3. zaqwsx

zaqwsx

Thanks Received:
    uninstall all virus portection software and go from their. Go into safe mode and enable it.

4. Meow9000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    First things i done, Specifically the service cant seem to start no matter what i do. I have tried resetting it through the CMD prompt but i just get the same error. I cant format the dam thing because she does not have all her Uni work backed up. Bloody women eh !

5. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    True... alot of security suites have the option in the setup to auto turn-off Windows firewall.

Also, try resetting Winsock and tcp\ip. This has cured the problem for some people.
    You don't mention the windows version, but these might help:How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and How to determine and to recover from Winsock2 corruption in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, and in Windows Vista.
    Do both, then re-start and try turning it on.

:)

Also, if that does not do it; try opening an administrative command prompt and run "sfc /scannow" (without quotes and a space between the c and /) to see if any files have been corrupted and such.

EDIT:

Windows Firewall is just one option.
    You could try these free ones:
    ZoneAlarm® Free Firewall
    Comodo Firewall

Just a couple, but there are alot of others.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
    Loosenut says thanks.