1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows licensing - confusion

Discussion in 'General Software' started by psyko12, Aug 20, 2011.

1. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Well, a while back I've asked help from you guys for pc specs for a LAN/net shop/cafe that me and my buddy we're building, so we got the parts and assembled the machines.

Now we're at a dillema with the OS.. As I remember there was a business package for WinXP that you get multi keys to use for installation. Is there a same package for win7? It's confusing cause all I see are OEM, Retail/Retail Upgrade, Enterprise (Volume Lic.). We'll I got too dizzy reading and not understanding it :confused: so I come running to you guys to shed some enlightenment.

Thanks,
    Psyk~~

2. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    psyko12 says thanks.
  3. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    So I just need to get a hold of Win 7 Pro with MAK? Hehe I've been to that site but I'm still :confused: as ever haha sorry... Thanks

4. bogmali

Thanks Received:
    Only Win7 version that comes with MAK IIRC is the Enterprise one.

5. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    I see, now the confusing part is I buy a (1)DVD of that and I get multiple keys depending on which package I choose? :confused: Just wanted to clear things up as MS OS prices here are somewhat expensive :)

6. bogmali

Thanks Received:
    That is basically how it works with the Enterprise version (I have it) so I would think that it also works that way with the other versions.

7. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
    psyko12 says thanks.
  8. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Alright thanks for the links and information, might hit up those partner/retailer places and inquire about it. Thank you for clearing things =] :D :respect:

95Viper says thanks.
  9. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    No one's stated the obvious: a TechNet sub. As you want multiple licences, this is a no-brainer.

You get at least 5 keys for each version of the product. If you get the Pro version, it doesn't cost much and you get hundreds of products, including all the versions of Windows, including Server that you want!

Yeah, it's a no-brainer. ;)

Here's a list of all the downloads available for a Pro sub:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/downloads/default.aspx

psyko12 says thanks.
  10. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    bogmali mentioned it.

I did not mention it, though, because, the software obtained through Technet is to be used is for evaluation purposes, not for use in a normal business setting - except as explained in the licensing.

Chances are , they would never notice, but, if, they did... he could face some fines and legal action at the worst. Maybe, even a spanking.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
    psyko12 says thanks.
  11. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Oops, I missed those two points lol. I guess TechNet isn't suitable for this, strictly speaking...

12. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Hey thanks for still monitoring my thread, I've visited a retailer from the partner site and it seems that they don't know what am saying... LMAO, so I just :banghead: and back to square one.... Hmmm is there an online purchase for this sort of thing or contact MS directly? Thanks

EDIT:

Tried using this--> http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/mla/ but still lack of know-how on what packages to choose from.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  13. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft licensing is notoriously confusing, so why not call them and ask? The handful of times I've dealt with them, I had very good customer service. And hey, they want to sell you something here, so they'll be even nicer. ;)

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=mscom

This link seems to have gone to the UK support page for me, but you should be able to get to your equivalent from here: www.microsoft.com/en/ph

Let us know how you get on.