1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows Media Center IR Remote on Windows Vista Ultimate

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Flava0ne, May 12, 2008.

1. Flava0ne

Flava0ne

Thanks Received:
    Is it possible to use the Windows Media Center IR Remote on Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit?

Also, I have a Dell 2407WFP 24" Wide Flat Panel LCD Monitor and I have my cable box connected to it via the composite connector. If the Windows Media Center IR Remote can be used on Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit, can I switch between my Cable TV and PC Dekstop with the IR Remote? Because normally I would have to press the input source button on my monitor to switch it up.

Any help and information would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    yeah it should work. you just might need the vista drivers.

Flava0ne says thanks.
  3. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Also, do you have a receiver for the remote? If not I would suggest going out and either pickup the 360 wireless receiver or if your a gamer get the 360 wireless controller package that comes with the receiver.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Flava0ne

Flava0ne

Thanks Received:
    No, I havent purchased the Windows Media Center IR Remote yet. But the Remote comes with the IR Receiver at the place where I'm going to purchase it from.

So, I just want to confirm this, I can switch from my Cable TV to my PC Desktop with the Media Center IR Remote on Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit if my cable box is connected to my monitor via composite connector and my monitor to my PC via DVI-D connector?

5. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I doubt you can switch input source with the remote. The remote doesn't interface with the monitor. The only way that would work, is if you could find a piece of software that can make your monitor switch. I find that highly unlikely.

What you could do, is buy a cheap Vista-ready PCI tuner card, and run your cable box into that. But your computer would have to be on to watch TV.