1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows Missing hal.dll file , how to reinstall without reformating

Discussion in 'General Software' started by zOaib, Mar 3, 2007.

1. zOaib New Member

Thanks Received:
    just need help in this if anyone can direct me to fix this problem without reformating the whole hardrive. thx
  2. zOaib New Member

Thanks Received:
    nvm , found an old thread where W1zzard mentioned copying it over by takign it in another pc.
  3. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just out of interest, how do you know that hal.dll is missing? Does Windows bring up a message specifically saying that file is missing?

I've seen that a lot of people have trouble booting, so go into safemode and hal.dll is the last thing that they see before it freezes, so they assume that's the problem file, when actually it is something unrelated.

If you're sure it's hal.dll missing then the easist thing to do would be to copy it from another PC, as you mention above.
  4. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Usually you get the hal.dll error when you replace something like the motherboard, easiest way to avoid this problem is to run system prep > reseal (which resets the HAL) > replace mobo > re-activate > enjoy...
  5. zOaib New Member

Thanks Received:
    its not my pc , my bros dell xps , he boots it and right where it goes into boot log , it halts and says windows/system32/hal.dll file missing , replace