1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows "Mojave" Experiment Video

Discussion in 'General Software' started by kyle2020, Aug 18, 2008.

1. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    I try to sympathize for a time (as Im sure you do) but as we all (almost...) agree the time for leniency with Vista is past, the people who complain about it are either trying to do something non standard, something with legacy hardware/software, or something with networking. Networking is one of the only areas I think they still need to work on as I have had problems with networking that seem to have no cause. I am just getting exasperated with hearing the same complaints over and over again that seem to have no validity.

2. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I agree, they do need to sort the networking out, but everything else runs either the same, or better on Vista as it did for me on XP x64. I see absolutely no reason to ever go back, and the people who complain either haven't used Vista since SP1, or are running a PC that just isn't powerful enough to run Vista.

I've tweaked Vista quite a bit, but no more than I did with XP, so I don't see that as being a big issue.

3. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    8gb RAM, what I wouldn't do for that much...

I'm the king multitasker, haha, me wants.

4. xfire

xfire

Thanks Received:
    Just upgrading to vista just for browsing and office is pointless when Xp does the job well. Linux doesn't catch spyware and virus too, why don't you use it for a download machine if you are so worried about it.
    I've used Vista and I don't say it's bad but it takes up a lot of hard disk space and utilizes a lot of resources.
    My Xp system hasn't been destroyed by a virus for almost two years now.

5. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    Im not upset with people not upgrading im upset people bitch about it and dont want to buy a computer with Vista on it or even buying a mac because they think they hate vista. It is my personal opinion that nontech savvy people should not upgrade versions of windows ever because they do not know what they are doing and will not get the desired experience from there upgrade (They do not upgrade there hardware with Windows). They should buy completely new computers.

PS- The Crazy Picture thread died? gay.

6. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Then again Windows XP on a Windows 95 machine also takes up a lot of hard disk space and utilizes a lot of resources.

Also, my experience with BUYING new computers has been bad.

Upon purchasing this computer it took 30 minutes alone to start up because of HP's pre-installed BS.

Not only that but they had Vista optimized for full graphics and whatnot with the graphics card set to 64mb and only 1gb memory stock.

It was painful.

7. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    At least the hardware is more suitable to the task. If someone walks into best buy and says im only willing to spend $150 and I want Vista that 16 year old kid is going to sell him Vista and promise him its going to at least work, that ignorant man is going to drive home, install it, and experience shit because his 'Windows XP Certified' Computer with 512mb of ram a Celeron Processor and an 80Gb harddrive is not happy with his purchase.

8. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Thank you. Every new OS that comes a long is going to be bigger, badder and harder on your hardware, but at the same time your hardware should have got bigger, badder and more powerful. If it hasn't you're making the wrong decision upgrading to a newer OS.

9. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Eh, kinda worked against what I was trying to say, but then at the same time I was unintentionally proving a point.

Yeah, Vista is heavy on resources, but if you can find a computer to run it well? It's a damn gem!

10. blueskynis

blueskynis New Member

Thanks Received:
    He he... It's easy for you to say (4 GB of RAM?). :( Have you tried playing with Vista on only 1GB of RAM? :rolleyes:

On low power systems XP is better choice than Vista.

11. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good point again.

Vista on 1gb is painful, and most hardware on new laptops isn't even optimized to run XP.

When running XP, I had to trick it into recognizing my wireless adapter/sound card, so everytime I boot onto my XP partition I have to use control panel to access the WAV sound, which in turn controls overall volume, master volume doing nothing. Not only that but it still says my wireless adapter is off, according the the adapter light/switch, but I've tricked it into recognizing it using TinyXP's force driver install.

So it's a tad impractical using XP on this machine (but I do get consistantly higher framerates in CS:S!)

12. rflair New Member

Thanks Received:
    Gee I don't know, maybe its the guy saying over time you are sure to find gaping holes in Vista, or maybe how he clearly distrusts MS in the last sentence, 'oh no big business is watching my pathetic life syndrome'.

13. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    *Still has yet to find any gaping holes in Vista except the fact that Simtower and a webcam did not work on it*

However Simtower, released in '94, was made to run on:
    "Platform(s) 68k-based Macs, Mac OS 9, Windows 3.x, Windows 95 and higher."

What can I say? I like my ancient games ;) It's super fun!

14. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: I hope im breaking rules here

15. xfire

xfire

Thanks Received:
    MS is partly to blame because with the advertising and people think they must get Vista.
    I agree with the nontech savvy people shouldn't upgrade but in some cases it becomes a must where the software they need to and have to use only works with later versions of windows.
    The crazy picture thread died because of some of the users constant disregard to the mod's warnings.

16. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    Thats when upgrading hardware should become 1st priority. I know. People cant afford to upgrade all the time. I dont know what to say, its been a year since vista came out, if people cant afford 2gigs of ram and a modern processor...how are they going to afford Vista anyway?

I looked it up, its to bad, it was a good place to go every once and a while for a light mood.

17. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I bitch about vista all the time and I think I have the right too, I bought vista ultimate and got nothing but rsod's with my tuner so I went back to xp mce, tried it on my laptop which meets the requirements and it never worked even once, after boot, black screen, so yea I bitch about it, and its not because of low system requirements on my C2Q system on my desktop and X2 on my laptop, thats bs

If I could get it running on my laptop I would run it though

alot of people say that you only need ram and a good cpu but thats not true because of the driver problems with vista, 1 driver problem and your vista experience will be hell and thats from my personal experience

18. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    That just means your TV tuner is incompatible with Vista. All of mine are too. I'm going to have to buy new ones or just stick with XP MCE. I got BSODs when I updated my media PC to Vista. that's partly Vista's fault, and partly the tv tuner manufacturer's fault.

Cybrnook2002 says thanks.
  19. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    I dont have any probs with ppl like yaself who have tried it and found it not for them. But i do have a prob with ppl who havnt tried it and just assume its crap cus everyone say it is.

20. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I have a problem with the people who have a very specific problem then go on to bitch about Vista as a whole being bad. Why can't they just say "I need X feature, I had errors, that's why I don't use it"?

21. blueskynis

blueskynis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, thats mainly the problem of hardware manufactures for not providing appropriate drivers for their hardware, so it's theirs fault. Vista is innocent in this case. :D

22. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I agree

Its not that I hate vista, its just that its annoying when you buy something when an OS comes out to find out its not supported, its always been like this though, when a new windows OS comes out and thats the most annoying part but theres no way im goin to mac:p so i will put up with it, well, except windows me, that was a deadly os:mad:

But It is sad that people talk down vista without using it, its a great OS, when you get it to work . . .

23. xfire

xfire

Thanks Received:
    Yet linux is bad because of lack of drivers.

24. blueskynis

blueskynis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea :rolleyes:

25. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    well if you mean the laptops say its both ms and the manufacturers fault

for the tuner though . . .