1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows needs to format this disk

Discussion in 'Storage' started by speedy11131, Dec 19, 2010.

1. speedy11131 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That message pops up, even though it was formatted with NTFS before.
    Now Disk Manager states that it has the RAW filesystem, even though it worked just the other week fine as NTFS. Is there a way to repair the file system on the fly, or do I have to recover files? because atm, I don't have enough space to recover all the files on it, so I was wondering if there was an on-the-fly method.

I'm not limited to Windows programs and tools, as I have a laptop running Linux Mint, so if any linux centered methods exist I'd like to try them as well...

I do have it running through a USB to SATA adapter, so could that be the issue?
  2. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not currently familiar with any "on-the-fly" method (as you described it), but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Anyway about it you should always make an image of a drive that you're trying to recover just in case the recovery tool screws up and makes it worse.

It's possible. I'd try attaching it via some other means before performing any recover operations.
  3. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    I had it happen before, on a HDD and a memory stick. I did the same thing both times:
    Formatted the disks (quick format) then run Recuva on them both. All of the files were intact and working perfectly; except for some Reason save files (Reason didn't like it and wouldn't open them).

I searched high and low for the same sort of program you're looking for but I couldn't find one so I had to settle for the format :(

EDIT: The HDD was in a USB external caddy and I forgot to click safely remove (I always forgot). Did you forget to safely remove?
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  4. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    TestDisk

TestDisk is powerful free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software, certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.

TestDisk can:
    Fix partition table, recover deleted partition
    Recover FAT32 boot sector from its backup
    Rebuild FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 boot sector
    Fix FAT tables
    Rebuild NTFS boot sector
    Recover NTFS boot sector from its backup
    Fix MFT using MFT mirror
    Locate ext2/ext3/ext4 Backup SuperBlock
    Undelete files from FAT, NTFS and ext2 filesystem
    Copy files from deleted FAT, NTFS and ext2/ext3/ext4 partitions.

TestDisk has features for both novices and experts. For those who know little or nothing about data recovery techniques, TestDisk can be used to collect detailed information about a non-booting drive which can then be sent to a tech for further analysis. Those more familiar with such procedures should find TestDisk a handy tool in performing onsite recovery.

This recovery example guides you through TestDisk step by step to recover a missing partition and repair a corrupted one.

I have not had to use it, but others have with good results, from want I have read.
    Goodluck.:)

Edit:

I don't know if you have tried yet, but... did you try running Windows error checking on it with the fix options enabled?
    How to Run Disk Check in Windows 7
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
    scaminatrix says thanks.
  5. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    It's worth a go. I tried TestDisk before, it didn't help with my problem but this was about 6 months ago, so the newer version might just do it.
    I wish I had a dodgy memory stick now, just to try and fix it :laugh:
    95Viper says thanks.