1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows Not In Focus Lag

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by OrbitzXT, Apr 19, 2008.

1. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I switched the 9600 GT in my system for a 3870 X2 today, and while playing a relatively old game Final Fantasy XI, the game and computer will lag if FFXI is not the window in focus. FFXI takes up the whole screen but you can Alt/Tab to switch to other windows and you will see FFXI behind them still running. Everything was fine with the 9600 GT but now with this card the second the mouse goes over an open window over FFXI, it lags. I thought it might have something to do with 2D and 3D clocks? I used RivaTuner and forced the Core at 850 MHZ all the time so it isn't switching back and forth. What is causing this?
  2. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    People still play FFXI? I played it for a while when it came out. I was a Taru-taru or whatever the hell they're called. Back when I played you couldn't alt-tab without either crashing the game or the game ignoring your request. There was some software or whatnot that did it, so I guess that's what you're using?? It's probably a bug with the app and / or drivers. The 3870x2 is DX10.1 and the FFXI is DX8, so AMD isn't worried about fixing the bugs for that as of yet. That's just my hypothesis anyways. Maybe use drivercleaner and reinstall the drivers? Worth a shot.