1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows Phone users Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by Dos101, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    The 520 doesn't have an equalizer as it is missing the necessary hardware for it. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...in-audio/19a0a7a1-8b3a-4fa8-a701-0bcadd917525

It's a shame too, since I would consider it a basic feature of all phones these days, especially smartphones.

james888 and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
  2. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    That is such a basic feature I really thought you just were missing it. That really is a shame.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Anyones battery draining faster with 8.1? I used to use 20%-30% of my battery on an average day by this time before the update. Since the update I used 50%+ every day.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Yup, over on the MSDN forum it's been heavily indicated that there are bugs in the Developer Preview: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...gnore=True&filter=alltypes&searchTerm=battery

WPCentral also has an 8.1 Developer Preview forum with many people reporting battery life issues: http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-8-1-preview-developers/

My battery usage isn't so bad now after doing the following:

- Turn off Location services. Only turn on when you need it (can put a quick access button in the Action Center)
    - Go to Settings -> Battery Saver, or go to the Battery Saver app in the app list. It will list all your apps and whether they are set to run "allowed" (run in background), "always allowed" (run in background even when battery saver is enabled), or "not allowed" (will not run in the background). Go through the list and only allow the apps you want to run in the background. It is also recommended to set Battery Saver to "not allowed" as it seems to consume quite a bit of battery.
    - Turn off Bluetooth and NFC. Only turn on when needed
    - Multitasking works differently in 8.1 than it did in 8.0. Hitting the Back button to close out of an app won't necessarily close that app, especially if it set to run in the background. Instead, hold the Back button to bring up the multitasking menu and close the app that way. You can also do this to check and make sure you have no apps open in the background.

I can get through an entire day now, though before 8.1 my Lumia 1520 would last 2 days or more. Updates to the OS plus the Cyan firmware that Nokia will release in the coming months should resolve the battery (and other) issues. This is a Preview after all.

james888 says thanks.
  5. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    The battery draining bug in the preview seems to be gone for me now

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Not mine! My battery dies fast as hell now.

8. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Been using my super cheap ($59 shipped) from MS, Nokia 520. Been pretty damn impressed. Old lady hated hers...so she got the epic Moto X with 4.4 Kit Kat...it's an amazing phone. But I really appreciate the simplicity of my Windows Phone...I do wish the camera was better but I don't take many pics anyways. I'm avoiding the preview as I have a tiny battery that lasts almost 2 days now...but have read it's about 1/4 that with the bug. No thanks! But I am looking forward to 8.1 official...even if it does drain the battery a bit more.

9. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I got an update about a week ago. I noticed better battery life the first day, but didn't want to say anything till I had more days under its belt.

Maybe our usage is different. My phone sits idle at least 8 of my waking hours. I text somewhat and will occasionally do some web browser stuff or a picture no more than twice a week on a usual week.

Before this latest update, half my battery would be gone just from idling all day. If I were to use the browser, over wifi even, I dropped 20% in 10 minutes according to my battery app.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    So the official Windows Phone 8.1 OS is out now?

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I don't think so. I update the preview from time to time. I havn't had a firmware update yet, which is needed to get all the features of 8.1.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    I had some serious battery issues when I updated to the 8.1 dev preview. When they updated the dev preview a few weeks ago it greatly improved things, I'm getting almost the same battery life as I was with 8.0, I no longer have to turn off location services and Bluetooth when not needed anymore.

When I first updated to the 8.1 dev preview, my phone would die after half a day's use. Many people suggested to a hard reset, so I did, and after I managed to get through and entire on a single charge (more now with the recent patch). So, if you updated to the 8.1 dev preview and are having major battery life issues, try doing a hard reset. Fortunately, with the way 8.1 handles backups, most of your app data, as well as the list of installed apps, Start screen layout, and OS settings are saved, so you don't have to worry about configuring everything after a hard reset (one of the worst parts about doing a hard reset in 8.0).

james888 says thanks.
  13. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Just reporting that the battery saver feature works great. I had to be on a work trip for 5 days where I may or may not have power outlets to charge. I do not have a battery bank and was rushed out the door before I could buy one. I needed my phone for a clock, alarm, and I did some mild texting. I lasted all 5 days and had 16% left without a charge. I was losing about 10% a day with the battery saver feature. If you are in a pinch, it works well.

Dos101 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Lots new in the Windows Phone world lately.

Lumia Cyan with Windows Phone 8.1 is being released worldwide. You can track the rollout here for your specific country/phone/carrier: http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/ and this gives a breakdown and what comes with it: http://www.nokia.com/global/windows-phone-cyan-update/

And the first update for WP8.1 is being released next week to those who are enrolled in the Developer Preview. All the details about the update itself, as well as news about Cortana rolling out to more countries can be found here: http://blogs.windows.com/windows_ph...ings-cortana-to-new-markets-new-features.aspx

Also an informative breakdown of Update 1 here: http://www.wpcentral.com/official-update-1-windows-phone-81-next-week-preview

I've updated my Lumia 1520 to Cyan (it's the HK variant, so I flashed the Great Britain ROM to get the Cyan update) and it feels like a new phone now!

That's honestly incredible. The improvements in Cyan/8.1 should also help extend that too, since we now have the ability to actually customize the low, mid, and high screen brightness levels to what we want, as well as general battery life improvements with Cyan.

EDIT: On a similar note, since Cyan enables Bluetooth 4.0 LE on supported devices, FitBit has been able to release their app for their wearables. I have a FitBit Flex and it works perfectly with my 1520 now.

james888 and erixx say thanks.
  15. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Yesterday Windows Phone 8.1 Update (or GDR1) was pushed out to users who are running the Windows Phone 8.1 developer preview. Cortana is now enabled for the UK and is available in Canada, Australia, and India as an Alpha opt-in. Just updated my 1520 and enabled Cortana, so far so good!

16. SirSempy6

Thanks Received:
    Samsung Ativ S owner here, still no 8.1

17. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately it seems Samsung and HTC have left most of their Windows Phone customers out to dry.

18. SirSempy6

Thanks Received:
    Switching over to Nokia very soon then lol

19. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Damn my 521 is still 8.0. I want 8.1 DANG IT!

20. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    My 520 on 3 UK is still waiting for the update. Though my main phone is still the iPhone 3GS on iOS 6, I just bought the 520 to play with it.

21. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Considering the 520 is their most popular phone I'm surprised they didn't focus on pushing out the update to it first.

22. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    rtwjunkie says thanks.
  23. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    HTC announced the HTC One (M8) for Windows. http://www.htc.com/us/smartphones/htc-one-m8-windows/

Pretty good rundown of the news here http://www.wpcentral.com/htc-one

Unfortunately it's exclusive to Verizon right now, which is pretty disappointing on Microsoft's part (here's an idea, let's release a bunch of phones but only sell them on specific carriers in specific countries! ugh, someone at Microsoft should be fired for this trend lately /rant).

If you have a Lumia 920 in Canada, India, the UK, Saudi Arabia, Dubai, or the UAE, you should be getting the Cyan update today.

Also, if you're running the Windows Phone 8.1 dev preview with "Update" installed then there should be another update available for you, looks like it's just for bug fixes/optimizations.