1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows rebooting on logo after new motherboard/cpu

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by cs97jb, Feb 3, 2013.

1. cs97jb New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

I had a problem with my desktop where it would turn on but nothing would appear on the screen. The HDD would not spin. After replacing the graphics card and other parts, I realised that it was the CPU so I bought a new motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P and a new CPU: AMD Phenon II combo. Now, the machine starts up but as soon the Windows logo (Win7) starts to form, the machine freezes on it for a split second and then reboots. I have reset the CMOS using the motherboard jumpers. I have gone into Windows' diagnostic and restored windows to a previous restore point as well as even restoring Windows back to the factory settings (per the HP tools) but I continue to run into the same problem of the machine restarting at the Windows logo. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on here?

2. DiogoCDS19

Thanks Received:
    Not sure but the crash might be because of the drivers you have installed, even restoring to factory settings won't help because its installing drivers to the other motherboard.
    You'll probably need to do a fresh install of windows.

3. cs97jb New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. I was hoping not to do that, although it's not too big of a deal as I have copied off all the necessary files. I'll give that a try and see how it goes.

4. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, just do the fresh install, since it isn't much of an issue for you anyway :)

I re-installed Windows 8 not long ago, it so amazing how fast it is to reformat these days, I was done in under 30 minutes, that included my pictures and photos I had backed up.

syeef says thanks.
  5. tongey54

Thanks Received:
    Might be because you have it in the wrong SATA model also. If your old install was done in IDE and the new board is set to AHCI...

6. syeef

Thanks Received:
    Re-install OS.

7. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    This

Op check in the bios if its set to AHCI and change it to IDE then save and reboot

redeye says thanks.
  8. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you want to try and save some work, when the PC is attempting to boot, prior to the windows screen, repeatedly hit the F8 key until you get a screen for safe mode. You could then get into windows and remove the old drivers, run a registry cleaner (such as the reg cleaner in Ccleaner) and try to reboot to normal windows. Then all you would need to do if the PC boots is to install the new drivers. ;)

ThE_MaD_ShOt says thanks.
  9. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I was getting ready to suggest the same thing. Boot into safe mode and uninstall all the for everything. I would even go as far as going into device manger and cleaning everything out that is motherboard and cpu related. The reboot and let windows find what it can and install the drivers.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I triple that! When I tried booting an IDE drive with BIOS set to AHCI, it did almost the exact same thing.

Seems old motherboard defaulted SATA mode to IDE, with new boards the default is AHCI.

11. cs97jb New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks folks.

The BIOS is set to SATA. The drive is a SATA drive and was plugged in as such into the old motherboard. Should I set it up as AHCI?

I have tried every option available within the BOOT menu but all lead to the machine rebooting itself. The only options I've had are within the Recovery option but that hasn't helped either (Restore Points and full recovery).

I'm in the process of finding my Windows CD so that I can reinstall Windows. If folks feel I should try setting the hard drive to AHCI within the BIOS, I will give that a go...

12. redeye

redeye

Thanks Received:
    plus 10!... GOODcall!:toast::respect:

happened to me, i forget that bios was set to IDE, installed win8, (long story....) bois gets set to AHCI, then i install previous hdd (win8 or win7) i will get the strange reboot... looks like it is a problem of windows... but it really is the ahci/ide setting.

it isn't really a problem if your win7/8 install was to a AHCI bios drive.. (just set it to AHCI)... but if win7/8 was installed to a IDE bios drive... better off reinstalling win7/8 to a AHCI bios drive. or you can just use IDE (only seems to matter with SSD's)

this happens all the time to me... (when windows is installed on a ahci(bios set) drive... and the bios is set to IDE...)

while there are directions to change the registry in win7/win8, (and they seem to work)... but if you have other hdd, formatted at the time of the original drive, problems occur.

TL;DR... just sett bios. to AHCI... but if th drive was installed as IDE(bios), and you want to switch to AHCI with the that drive, you can, but it only works for that drive.

switch the BIOS setting to AHCI... and it should fix the problem.

13. cs97jb New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok Redeye, I will give that a try tonight.