1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows regristry file missing or corrupt; can't boot

Discussion in 'General Software' started by kodex, Apr 24, 2008.

1. kodex New Member

Thanks Received:
    When I turned on my computer this afternoon, XP was booting noticeably slower than normal. When I got to my desktop, I was getting mouse lag and my CPU usage was at 50-90%. When I tried to reboot, it took forever and finally told me that a regristry file was corrupt or missing. I ran the setup disk to get to the repair console like it told me to, but it doesn't give any further directions. What do I do?

2. kodex New Member

Thanks Received:
    Update

I followed this guide and I can login to my installation as Administrator. However, this guide assumes that you have restore points, which I, of course, have none of. My files and everything are still there (including the programs that were on the desktop and in the start menu), I just don't have the option to login to my account. Is there any way that I can get my account back besides System Restore?

Thanks,
    kodex

3. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Why not just log in as administrator ?

4. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    When you load the xp cd, click "Repair windows" and that should do it.

5. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Repair console can be a pain when the fastest and easiest way to fix XP issues is to "Repair Windows" install. All you have to do is after inserting disk and the normal XP install stuff at the beginning DO Not hit R the first time it says repair. Hit enter or esc, Can't remember which one, and when windows is looking for another install of Windows you should get another prompt to repair. This time do it. Install will look like a normal install but you will see NOTHING about formating if you do it right.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. paybackdaman

paybackdaman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Or, you could connect your hard drive to a computer that works, make sure you set it to slave if it is IDE (and that the other is set to master) if sata plug it in as normal. Then turn on the computer, let it install the new found hardware, go through your hard drive get all of your documents and such off...if you have programs you might be outta luck with that:(, then just do a fresh install and it will run better then ever.

Then connect it to your network and copy all the files back to it...or you can do the same set up as i said before and copy them all back onto the hard drive that way.

7. kodex New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the replies guys. I decided to just wipe the drive and start over after I got all my files off. I suppose it's all for the better now that I have a fresh install of XP. =)