1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows root \sys32\hal.dll

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by freeboy, Oct 21, 2007.

1. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    is there a way to fix this file? My system will not boot from D as I am getting an error referencing this, and xp disk asking for password, long story...
    I can access this drive through booting with another drive, but the goal is to boot from this drive ..
    help?

2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
    iv got a similar prob, xp on the sata but cant boot directly, have to boot from the ide to use windows on the sata,
    iv set the boot.ini file on the ide boot the sata by default,
    dont know if the floppy drivers for sata were working or having the ide plugged in confused xp when it installed

4. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    nope, repair asks for passwordthat I cannot set reset never set and you pointed me to an article with sp1, my sp2 install does not have security hole you referenced.. thoughts?

5. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    If pressing "enter" when asked for password during repair does not work,then you could try copying C:\WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll from your good drive to the corrupt one,or give this fix a go-

I found that fix here,note that it does not give "|" between -H -R -S but it is needed to work.Remove your other working drive when trying this to be on the safe side.

6. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    You cannot correctly copy Hals, but that is good try thanks .. good link too.. hal now fixed through the BOOTCFG commands.. and now the system boots and crashes not on safe mode, boots in safe mode!
    Weird error crash AMDLLD.sys... nothing in google results looking for that error!
    So I am still stuck with some progress being made.. thanks all
    any suggestion are welcome!

7. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
  8. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    freeboy says thanks.
  9. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Was this XP install setup on an AMD based system,if so then maybe your chipset drivers etc are conflicting with your new Intel system.

10. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    yep, AAAUUUGH!
    so, after all these debugging hours I needed to backup and remove the files before reming the 939 boARD, per asus tech needed to deleat old driver etc etc.. and now with the dvd fouled, cannot gewtethere SO I am going to reformat drive and hopefully be able to restore data..

11. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Put your old drive into your new system and save any files you need to the clean install you have on your C drive before you format the old drive or else you will lose all your data.

12. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just go Here,and download newest forceware drivers for your mobo. You shouldn't have to back up anything. Just make sure the new drivers go onto the proper HDD.

:toast:

13. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    ok, cannot get to the web, cannot do anything.. using wifes computer now!

this is the plan, use the wd data gaurd.. backup my entire D drive to the logical partition E drive. Format D drive and install Windows.. setup all the DRIVERS FIRST!
    Then do some software restore from the backup.. if I have to reinstall at least all the data is there, no need to return that new sata, 58.00 for 160 gig is ok.. so now I am at 410 gigs.. time to start filming my next blockbuster LOL!

So again thanks .. this trying experience has given me allot of insight into hal etc... But oops
    TOTAL noob error of not taking 939 drivers off HD

also looks like above link is invida and new board is p35 I will be SO stoked when I am up, on the new, playing faster and harder, and oc this bad boy!

On a side note, instead of buying the very cool CM 600 case, I did my version of it haching into my Ultra Wizard... removing grills, adding fans, I now have 3 80 high volume Zalmons on the side panel, one in two out, and a nifty Silverstone 120mm fan in the top front with the variable speed blowing up to 109 cfm!.. need the added fans do to asus chips getting hot without the cpu fan as I use water!

wish me luck! or Success! or SUPER SPEED! ok I am ranting now! sorry

14. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can always download the Forceware drivers to a "jump Drive" or "memory stick" and use that to transfer them to your computer.

:toast: