1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows Server 2003

Discussion in 'General Software' started by mtaylor89, Nov 22, 2007.

1. mtaylor89 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok i have made my tower a server, as a domain controller, my issue is connecting to the domain from other pcs, help please!
  2. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    How far do you get?
  3. mtaylor89 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well i am not sure how to go out of my server and stuff, like this is how its setup right now

----phone line---2wire modem---ethernet---linksys 54g---2 ethernet cables--server

what needs to be changed
  4. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    I'm assuming that you need to start at the very beginning...

For your PC's, they need to switch from "Workgroup" mode to "Domain" members. That's under Control Panel -> System -> Computer Name. Enter the domain name you created. If the DC and DNS was setup correctly then it should ask for credentials to add this machine to the domain. Use the domain admin account.

Also, what you plan to gain by running a domain? Will help us point in the right direction. Most people running a domain server in the home are IT techs that manage one at work. We like having roaming profiles, network-wide accounts and permissions, etc, as well as continuing our experience with domains and networks.
  5. mtaylor89 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i missed something along the way, the server i manage was all setup before i was a administrator on it, im just making a home server for all my computers, but i cant get my computers to connect to the domain
  6. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    "it doesn't work, help" hardly shows any motivation to fix the problem. What have you tried? Where does it fail? Give some info, and input something yourself.

My guess is a DNS issue, which is quite a common issue. You can't find a domain without DNS.