1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows users... will you upgrade to Windows 8?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Oscnn, Oct 17, 2012.

?

Will you upgrade to Windows 8 from Windows 7?

1. Yeah

17 vote(s)
    32.7%
  2. Nyah

35 vote(s)
    67.3%
  1. Oscnn

Oscnn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2012
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yep.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I don't buy upgrade licences. Nothing I hate more than installing one version of Windows to install another. $100 for OEM is too much to justify upgrading to from Windows 7/Windows Vista. The only XP candidate for upgrade is working fine on XP so why bother.

The only reason why I would buy Windows 8 is if I feel compelled to program for Metro. That's not likely seeing as you got to pay Microsoft to release the software--even if only you will ever use it. Windows Store is too strict like iTunes Store. :(
    Phusius says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    When Windows 7 was released, I paid $30 for an academic copy the day it came out. After using the Beta and then RC for months, I knew that Windows 7 was an operating system I'd love to use, so it was well worth it to me. I continue to use the same copy today.

I've used the Beta and RC versions of Windows 8, and while I'm not going to launch a flame war here, I found it wasn't for me. I won't be purchasing Windows this cycle.
    scaminatrix and Phusius say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. nick_1992

Thanks Received:
    I'll stick with 7
  6. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    Nope!
    Phusius says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    no.
    Phusius says thanks.
  8. kg4icg

kg4icg

Thanks Received:
    Have been using it since RTM was released. So in essence, I already have upgraded.
  9. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    1. Why is the user banned.
    2. Why was the link changed.
    3. Why is the products price so low from the original msrp of 139, and why does amazon have its msrp listed as $199?

this thread is full of wtf. Does no one else have these kinds of questions? I feel like im in the twilight zone.
  10. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    LOL! OP banned! Probably because the link was spam?
    eidairaman1 says thanks.
  11. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Probabily yes, proven on me it's faster and has interesting features over 7.

Though maybe we will be forced if metro apps would be norm and there isn't a support for them in 7.
  12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    not till forced to, nuff said, best if MS releases a minor update to put the traditional gui in.
  13. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Maybe after SP1 is released

atb

Law-II
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  14. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    yea ummm wasn't it 69.99 on amazon, was that fake?:wtf:

why u use your banstick erocker?
  15. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
    only when I get my new computer. which will be sometime in 2013
  16. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Looks like the spam link is what did it. But damn, this user had 158 posts which must have generally been reasonable to last this long (2.5 years) so must have done something really bad to get nailed like that. :ohwell:

Anyway, I won't be "upgrading". The enforced Metro, missing Start button and the removal of Aero are the main reasons. Also, I can't see what features W8 has over W7 that would make me want it? It's got some enhancements under the hood sure, but no killer features. It doesn't even have Windows Media Centre without paying more money! :rolleyes:

On top of everything, Microsoft have removed the ability to do a deferred activation by entering the key at a later stage. What an insult. :nutkick: It was such a handy feature too. You could just paste the key into the activation wizard previously, or use it in demo mode without one. Plus, who wants to activate on what may not be a final hardware configuration?
  17. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    probably violated other forum rules or argued with the moderator

qubit says thanks.
  18. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yes...though maybe not right away (promo pricing tempting tho; however also $20 more than 7 cost me). I do like many of the under-the-hood improvements and some of the new features like Storage Spaces. Am turned off somewhat by Metro too as a desktop user but such is hardly a show-stopper even if I was stuck with it, which I'm not.
  19. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    people dont notice the under the hood improvements, they only see the interface, for many it is a show stopper, till MS realizes this their market share will keep on creeping away
  20. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    There are some ways to make 8 look the same (or similar) as 7, though it does need to spend some time. I believe MS will make sooner or later a quick option to switch over Metro & Classic or at least a patch... That radical UI change need time and MS should do gradually.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  21. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    I find it interesting that this thread was not only not deleted, but has spurred an actual topic.

There is very little difference between 8 and 7 when you get right down to it. Once you learn the shortcuts, and where everything is, it wouldnt really matter much.

I, like many others, will desire an upgrade when I have multiple windows 8 systems (PC, laptop, phone, and tablet) Until then there is no reason for me to upgrade.
  22. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Never....Ok maybe
  23. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    If you look at the OPs stats you will see , more than likely, why they were banned... Spammer for a certain site, maybe.

I am sure erocker had valid reasons; and, I would reason the OP was explained why this was done before punishment was doled out.
    Just my opinion, but, the mods here are the most tolerant and reasonable I have ever run across.
    I can say from personal experience, with my dealings with some, they try hard not to warn and ban! And, they do explain, when the need arises, to the parties involved.

Any way back on topic:

Not on this desktop, my laptop, or netbook; as I do not see, for me, any benefit that is great enough at this time.
    I may dual boot and test it, when I receive the Logitech 650 touchpad.
    However, I do plan on getting a tablet with Windows 8... when I find one that suits my wants and needs.
    qubit says thanks.
  24. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This is not the first time a spam thread started a many page discussion on something. lol
  25. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Been using Windows 8 from my TechNet subscription for a while on my work PC and although I see no real benefit over Windows 7 it's not as bad as people say. Namely:

- Yes Metro is annoying and pointless. But you really don't spend any time there.
    - No start button! Seriously.. it is a lot faster to hit the windows button on your keyboard and type the first letter of the software you want to start. Hell, this works like Ubuntu's unity HUD, I think it's better than drag-click on a button anyway.
    - No more aero. After a few days.. it really didn't matter.

8 is not as bad as generalised. But it's certainly not worth any extra cash.

I'll concede the computer restarting without my permission to install updates when I'm in the middle of a work report is a serious drawback.