1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows users... will you upgrade to Windows 8?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Oscnn, Oct 17, 2012.

?

Will you upgrade to Windows 8 from Windows 7?

1. Yeah

17 vote(s)
    32.7%
  2. Nyah

35 vote(s)
    67.3%
  1. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    Yeeeaaaaahhhh bbboooooyyyyy!!!!!!!

Almost finished a new machine so yes I will BUY windows 8 and always want a touch screen monitor so here's the perfect excuse to get one.

2. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Yes.

New doesn't mean good but it doesn't mean bad either.

3. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yep, agree
    better the genuine one
    for now im still running 7 until i really need 8, so far my apps run in 7 so i dont need to switch to 8 :toast: simple

4. Recus

Recus

Thanks Received:
    Sure, why not?

5. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    The simplest answer is I will not upgrade any systems currently running windows 7 to windows 8.

The complex answer is that there is little to no value as long as windows 7 exists. People can site new and enhanced features, increased performance, a better complete experience, and a myriad of other extras. Now that the nerds in the room are the only ones left listening, here's the truth. We are not the target audience for this, and it is going to fail hard. Why, three points.
    1) The UI is atrocious on anything but a tablet. We can cope and learn to like it, but the business world won't. A laptop can outperform, outlast, and be priced cheaper than a tablet.
    2) The MS store integration, and additional locks. I'm sure some of us saw Windows 7 prior to launch. Do you remember some of the security "enhancements" didn't show up in beta like it did in the release? 8 promises some additional lock-down, and we haven't even seen what's actually going to be there.
    3) Where for art thou, Apple? MS is trying to be Apple, and windows 8 exemplifies all of the backward steps they are making. They want a slice of the software action, and with successes like Steam and the Apple (not to mention the xbox live arcade) they have proof the concept will work. In addition to the software, the more recent hardware changes are making it look like MS is trying to gradually change the ecosystem (rather than being "evil" and changing their business practices). On top of this, they are trying to create a unified OS on multiple platforms. They are making one model fit three very unique unique platforms by force, rather than integrating features and slightly modifying thing to fit their respective targets.

So three general reasons why 8 is destined to perform poorly. It's my hope that it eventually gets rectified, and if history serves its purpose windows 9 should take the good parts of 8 and make it worth looking at. Nearly two decades of development, and MS OSs are still only viable every other incarnation. Shameful, but a trend proven time and again.

95Viper, james888 and jmcslob say thanks.
  6. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    We had a touchscreen computer at my previous job. It was terrible. Nothing worse than reaching across your keyboard and/or desk to touch a screen in front of you, and it is horribly inaccurate in that position. I would discourage this gravely.

You've been warned. Don't find yourself later trying your hardest to convince yourself that it was a good purchase.

7. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    I will not upgrade any pc I have with 8.... I just don't see it being worthwhile on anything that doesnt have a touch screen.

8. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    Not a chance.

9. ron732

ron732

Thanks Received:
    No plans to upgrade my Windows 7 systems. Might get 8 if I buy a tablet or build a new desktop.

10. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Ditto to that. Have two perfectly good licenses to Win7, and will also wait till consumers test and applications+drivers are updated to support.

11. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    You'd be surprised how many people think thier existing desktop monitors will all of a sudden become touchscreens if they upgrade to Win 8 :laugh:

12. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I do kind of want a tablet with Win 8, it will be my first tablet, but I have no want or need to spend money to upgrade my desktop that was obviously designed for a touchscreen. It's common sense really.

13. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Must read to get proper perspective, that I could have written myself:
    http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-is-the-new-xp-7000006095/
    (negative press about xp, years (!) after its release... )

I will of course and as always adopt W8 on day 1, I will do the testing/learning for the rest of my home computers, which I enjoy. I am sure I will learn how to launch programs (irony), plus enjoy the interactivity of the tiles, mails, twitter, skype, fb, etc, included.

One example that I always have hated of the "good old" start menu is that when you click on one item, it just totally closes, and you have to walk you way back in the menu trees. Now the tree is static : )

Phusius says thanks.
  14. Wells New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes, sure. But first of all, i'd like to see how the others react of Win8

15. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    According to this vid,
    http://www.tweaktown.com/news/26243...an_t_figure_out_how_to_turn_it_off/index.html

Even so called tech savvy folks think its a bit retarded, and judging by what iv'e seen and heard, it's a fail actually, assuming everyone wants touch and tiles may be a big mistake by ms [and it's a privacy breach in case you dont grasp the implications of your fingerprints all over a touchscreen], they been pushing this touch thing all over the net, and basically, touch sucks except for phones and tablets, dumbed down computing on each really.
    There's more reasons not too than there is reasons too, sorry, but it's true.
    Disappointed with ms this time, in a big way, coercing folks into this is wrong.:mad:
    They'e not listening to folks, and for that, they will suffer, and so they should, we are the only reason they thrive in the world, and most don't want this dumbed down tablet crap to compute with. A really arrogant move by ms.

16. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    I think Windows 8 will eventually gain popularity but the interface is for the new vision of what a desktop is. Think of Windows 7 as feeling like a workstation and Windows 8 will feel like what a modern desktop will be down the road. If you don't like the tiles or the touch interface then kill Steve Jobs...... oops, too late.

17. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    I think it's along the lines of "is it what I need?".

And frankly, no, it is not what I need.

18. chinmi

Thanks Received:
    with the recent $15 for win 8 pro... definitely yes....

19. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Yep. I have MSDNAA access, and I should have a pair of keys in there. My machine needs a format anyway, so I might as well install Win8 on it.

20. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    I've already upgraded to Windows 8 Pro and I have to say goodbye Windows 7 and your crappy start button!

21. 3design New Member

Thanks Received:
    Windows 8 is going to be a disaster! I am sticking with Windows 7 OS and avoid this stupid upgrade...

22. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    No. Never.

23. Kalevalen

Thanks Received:
    Got Windows 8 Pro and i'm using start8 to get rid of "metro".

24. arnoo1

Thanks Received:
    No i wont windows 7 is perfect and in my opinion windows 8 sucks, stupid metro interface works like crap with keyboard/mouse i used the rtm but i don't care about reboot time my system is plenty fast how it is now, and if it gets slow i will simply reinstall my os

25. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Vista choked on 4 gb of ram. 7 runs on a minimum of 512MB. Runs Fine on 1-2 Gb of ram and is rockin with 4+