1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows Vista build 5536 released to corporate beta testers.

Discussion in 'News' started by zekrahminator, Aug 26, 2006.

1. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Windows Vista continues to make progress toward a public release in January. The latest Vista build is a release candidate, and is currently being tested by corporate beta testers. This latest beta offers no new features, however has a lot of quality and performance updates. It will eventually be released to 200,000 of the 1.5 million public beta testers. Microsoft has already selected the beta testers who will receive the latest Vista version, and has notifed them by Email.

Source: Cnet

2. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    WoW... RC #1, already!

:)

* That's ahead of their revised current schedule iirc, but I don't follow beta OS' that closely to be honest... many guys do, I don't.

(IF I had one more rig here, I might... but, I do not currently!)

APK

P.S.=> Still this is pretty good news, & I think Microsoft will be on time as to delivery of the final build based on this event... apk

3. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I wish I had gotten an E-mail to test the latest beta...Vista has so much potential. Unfortunately, most of Vista Beta 2 has small glitches and problems, and it's gotten a lot of bad reviews. In my opinion, the Beta 2 should be called Windows XP SP3 or Windows 95 in 3D :p.

4. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Vista still sucking? Yes? Good. Right then. Moving swiftly on.

5. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    They guaranteed a version for businesses january 07 didnt they?

This is about on schedule... and its still gonna suck...

6. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    I'm curious:

Why do you guys think VISTA's going to stink/suck/be awful etc. et al?

:)

* I haven't tested it myself, but from the sound of it from those here that have? It's not like some "train-wreck" or something, lol...

After all - it works, but has some MINOR issues from the sound of it, which should be simple enough to fix on MS' part...

(Fill me in, doesn't matter what you say or think, just let it all "hang out"/fire point-blank)

APK

7. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I'm not saying it's bad...I'm just saying the current version has all sorts of glitches :p.

8. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    I've run several betas.

Having run too numerous versions of linux to count, OS 7, 8, 9, X, Dos, Windows 3.11, 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, etc...

Vista has many improvements from the code and heart of the os, standpoint...

Its GUI however is beating a dead horse with a much bigger stick this time...

So much extra PR bloat added in aswell. "windows..." everything... a 3d GUI is much needed imo, but the current implementation is so dang slow.. it could just as well be done in 2d. :twitch:

Look at OS X. Its GUI handles transparency flawlessly. It has nice buttons, and is easy to navigate.

Vista has glowie buttons that are of no use other than "ooohh ahhh" for 30 seconds then you move on to something else.

Flip 3d was still needing some MASSIVE anti aliasing last I checked... which is most likely the main reason apple didnt use angled windows in expose to begin with. Its retardedly demanding on the hardware at the moment.

They need to take a slower less intensive approach to their GUI. Integrate 3d options, but not suddenly come up with a HUGE UPGRADE!

Plus it was slow as hell on my laptop :ohwell:

I'll be waiting for the next version of windows.... :cool: Meanwhile, I'll be on my powerbook for usual use...

I am however worried about the drivers... I thought it was "signed m$" drivers ONLY, which would KILL omega, and DNA drivers... that would be bad... especially for hw manf's... since it cost so much to get drivers WHQL'd....

I'm assuming they changed that for now atleast....

9. jocksteeluk

jocksteeluk New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
    dont help micro$haft make your windows xp disk out of date make them pay for testers instead

10. jbizzler New Member

Thanks Received:
    The new GUI is good from an enthusiests standpoint. It will force PC manufacturers to stop selling computers with crappy on-board graphics, and promote games.

That being said, businesses that thrive on those computers can still use them with lower versions onf the Vista GUI.

When I first started using Vista it felt kind of big and scary, but once you get used to it, you'll realize it's much simpler than XP and cleaner.

11. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got an email a couple of days back from M$ but I didn't read it... might have been asking me to beta test some more! Oh well, it's been deleted so I'll just see what happens.