1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

windows vista home premium 32bit

Discussion in 'General Software' started by savillm, Apr 12, 2008.

1. savillm

savillm New Member

Thanks Received:
    lo all ive just installed vista and i love it! it found all my drivers i dident even need to put my mobo drivers disk in! any way im useing windows firewall atm is it any good or not if not any idears?

for anti-virus im useing avast! anti virus any good?

thx

2. xylomn

xylomn New Member

Thanks Received:
    you'll be ffine with avast as you av, however i would strongly advise getting a firewall as the in built one is pants.

The COMODO firewall is free and is the only one out there that passes every current test

Download Here

Hope that helps :)

EDIT: It has a feature in called defence+ which monitors everything in your system from registry entries to programs being allowed to accept input from the keyboard.. you may wish to disable this as while its a fantastic security feature it can be a bit paranoid (and annoying) at some times.

3. Scott1

Scott1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is is 32bit SP1? does it read 4GB of ram? because im questioning getting 32 or 64

4. savillm

savillm New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah its 32 bit and yes it does read 4gb

5. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The built-in Windows firewall is fine as it does block inbound attacks. In regards to outbound, using Avast 4.8 has anti-spyware and anti-rootkit as a feature. It does work as well.

No need to waste money on 3rd party firewall software. It's almost as bad as wasting money on 3rd party defragging software.

6. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    I would second COMODO firewall,have used it in the past and is very good.

Also no need to waste money as it is FREE!!

Windows firewall will suffice if you are stuck,better than none,but you will be able to tweak COMODO much more to your liking.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  7. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    It'll read and state that you have 4GB installed on 32-bit, but will only utilize up to 4GB max...with -276 reserved, -video memory = ammount of actual RAM windows can access...when I was on 32-bit, I read 3.25gb for example (4.0 - .27 (275mb) for reserved and -.5 (512mb) for video memory. Shouldn't be too big of a deal as over 3GB should be plenty sufficient for most...if not I think you can still get 64-bit for $15 from MS if you purchased a copy of x32! I'm loving Vista Ult x64!

I've primarily used Vista's firewall for now...but I've been looking at Comodo for a while and may give it a shot. I don't really have issues, but I don't want them to start either. Gotta say the last 3 weeks with Vista's firewall has been issue free tho!

:toast:

8. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You won't have any issues with the Vista firewall. It's actually different than the Windows XP firewall. Go to Start and in Start Search type in "firewall". You will see something come up for Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. In there you can see how you can configure outbound protection as well.