1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows Vista Tech Support

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Thermopylae_480, Jan 31, 2007.

1. randomperson21

randomperson21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    windows key+ tab

2. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Damn thats easy... thanks.

3. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I still prefer Fiesty Fawn to this but...

[​IMG]

4. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Need help creating a partition in windows vista..

ok I have Vista installed and ready on my system.. but I'm having a problem partitioning...

When I go to shrink my c:\drive in Control Panel/System and Matinance/, down under Administative tools theres create and format hard disk partitions.. ok well when I go to do this it will only let me shrink my C:\drive to like half my volume.. thats like 300 gigs for c:\ left.. anyone know how I can hake my c:\ 60 gigs..

I want 60 for os, 120 games, rest for storage movies/music. I have 596Gb's in windows.

5. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Can you shrink it, boot back into Vista after it completes the operation, then shrink it again?

6. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll have to give that a try.. I thought about trying this but I dont have to much time lately to mess around :p wonder how long it will take to shrink hummz lol well I'll do it tonight I guess.

That should work eh :)

Edit: it didnt work, I shrunk it to 340gb and it wont shrink anymore.. rebooted elc :S any more ideas:p I'll google I guess too, if I find anything i'll post here.

Last edited: May 14, 2007
  7. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    heres what I found on microsofts site...

"During setup, you only need to create and size the partition on which you plan to install Windows Vista. After Windows Vista is installed, you can use the Disk Management snap-in to make changes or create new partitions on your hard disk."

So I guess I should of just made my raid size like 60gigs.. than expanded it after?!? but raid is done with bios not OS so if bios says 60gigs tha in OS you should only see 60gigs :S

Or I guess its when you reach that point in installing Vista where it asked me for driver for my raid array.. hummz I dont think I'll be reformatting anytime to soon though lol, I have other things I have to get done.

8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    What about something like Acronis Disk Director Suite?

9. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I LOVE YOU, and big kisses... lol just kidding, but thanks a million man. I set up my hards so friggin sweet with that program... Local Disk (C:) 66GB, Games (G:) 127GB and Storage (S:) 404GB.. my HD has been oficially Pimp'd and ready to install games :D.

10. Boneface

Thanks Received:
    Ok well i dont know if this belongs in here or not if not could someone move it to the right topic. Anyway i m running vista home premium and an 8800gts 320. Now i know with xp i was able to get everything up to a resoultion of 1280x1024, but with vista i can get above 1024x768 and thats also the games. I wanted to know if anyone esle has had this problem and if they were able to fix it and how they did it. And im now having a problem with tryingto bring up Control panel. If i click on it an address bar pops up at the top of the screen and one on the bottom that says Windows Explorer. This happens for a split second thats all but it does that everytime i try to bring up the control panel. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Boneface

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  11. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    I would put money on it being the VC driver. nVidia Vista drivers are still absolutely horrible.

12. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    hello guys,i have aquired an errant file on my control panel,i guess something added it and nvr removed it on uninstall.how do i get rid of it?

if i try to open it,it say it has no program assiated with it,and it does nothing.

[​IMG]

could i use the registry to get rid of it,but were is that list in the registry?

thx for any help :D

13. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Guys im having ALOT of Errors while trying to run either Driver SETUP files or GAME SETUP Files...Any ideas ??? At this rate i wont be able to install any games...I managed to install drivers manually however.

14. randomperson21

randomperson21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    some games don't work so hot yet in vista. find the specific game you're having trouble with, google it and see if theres any fixes for it. also, try running the installer as an administrator.

15. Oliver_FF

Oliver_FF New Member

Thanks Received:
    are you 100% sure the drivers are for Vista and not XP?

if you right click on a .exe file and go to the properties panel you can set a compatibility mode, this tends to fix most problems (if any) with games...

16. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    it was DEPs fault !!!
    Just disabled it and windows fly !!! :)

17. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Disabling System Restore gives a pretty big performance jump as well.

18. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    My friend the system restore tweak applies for years now and i always run windows without it and with several other enchancements. However DEP has nothing to do with running faster...It just protects the system from not running applications that it thinks can harm the system thus it stopped me from running the majority of setups. Disabling it makes things easier.

Anyways guys i have a USB stick which aint ReadyBoost compatible, however i used a workaround hack to make it compatible but now windows dont see the empty space. Specifically its a 1gb OCZ Rally drive and i have formatted it in both NTFS and FAT32 and although in properties the empty space is 991mb the ReadyBoost thingie says it cant even find 235mbs FREE !!!!! Any ideas ?

19. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    i have a problem guys well when i was dual booting it worked fine but after i clean installed vista my pics dont come up as thumb nails like instead of being able to see a little tile of your pics when selecting a background or seeing them when you go into my pictures all i see is a generic fake little ocean? i mean the pics etc still work...but i cant see them does anyone know how to fix this?

wew nvm i found it its under folder options or you can go into veiw in any window and click folder options "veiw tab" and uncheck always show icons never thumbnails...bam worked yay!!

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  20. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    so does anyone know the deal with ati tool? i mean it wont work gives me some error now i tried rebooting uninstalling then reinstalling no go so then i uninstalled rebooted adn re installed all good but then i reboot and it wont work again WTF? is their any way to do it? without needing to reinstall every time?

21. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Are you using 64bit?

Off Topic: I have that board, too.

22. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    no im not running 64 bit its only 32 but it still wont do it im getting so mad WTF?

23. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
  24. shoe16

shoe16

Thanks Received:
    is there a way to stop it from asking you for permission when your run programs and stuff. its really annoying...

25. Oliver_FF

Oliver_FF New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah there is, in the control panel, head towards the system options and just keep digging, you'll eventually find an option to disable all the popups asking for permission.