• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows Vista: The Facts

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Vista runs most games without problem. If you are having a crashing issue check for updates. (I am assuming you are using latest video drivers).

I have had minimal problems with all my games and have yet to find a game that will not work under Vista. I have not tried them all, but my faves work fine.

System Name File Server
Processor 2600k
Motherboard idk
Cooling H110
Memory 20gb of something
Video Card(s) onboard!
Storage 2x120 SSD, (5x8tb)+(3x4tb) = 35 TB Z1 pool
Display(s) couple 4k 32s
Case cooler master something i think
Audio Device(s) does anyone bother with anything but onboard?
Power Supply Whatever OCZ PC Powercooling became. 1200 modular setup
Mouse MX Master 2x
Keyboard G710
Software FreeNAS
Sorry i didn't change my system specs yet, i thought that someone would mention that eventually :p

ahh i c,
let me guess.....

c2d @ ~3ghz and a 3870, maybe a highly clocked 3850...

System Name File Server
Processor 2600k
Motherboard idk
Cooling H110
Memory 20gb of something
Video Card(s) onboard!
Display(s) couple 4k 32s
Mouse MX Master 2x
Keyboard G710
Software FreeNAS
Vista runs most games without problem. If you are having a crashing issue check for updates. (I am assuming you are using latest video drivers).

I have had minimal problems with all my games and have yet to find a game that will not work under Vista. I have not tried them all, but my faves work fine.

Vista hasnt had any problems with my games, my Girlfriend has some old games that ran iffy so I ran them in compatibity mode and it worked great

System Name Not named
Processor Intel 8700k @ 5Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Assassin II
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15
Video Card(s) Zotac 1080 Ti AMP EXTREME
Storage Samsung 960 PRO 512GB
Display(s) 24" Dell IPS 1920x1200
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Watt Fully Modular
After checking the vista event viewer, which is very nice might i add, it called it an application hang of program mm.exe. Doesn't really tell me much else though, but its done it twice over about 2 hours.

edit- and for curiosity sake what cooling are you using for your q6600?

System Name File Server
Processor 2600k
Motherboard idk
Cooling H110
Memory 20gb of something
Video Card(s) onboard!
Display(s) couple 4k 32s
Mouse MX Master 2x
Keyboard G710
Software FreeNAS
After checking the vista event viewer, which is very nice might i add, it called it an application hang of program mm.exe. Doesn't really tell me much else though, but its done it twice over about 2 hours.

edit- and for curiosity sake what cooling are you using for your q6600?

swiftech water kit, apachee GT block with a few radiators

zatblast

milky way-sol system-3rd planet-northern hemispher
Processor E8400@3.0
Motherboard Asus P5N-D
Cooling mx-2//Artic freezer 7 pro
Memory 2gb Corsair XMS2 800mhz
Video Card(s) MSI 8800gt
Storage Seagate 320 7200.10
Display(s) Syncmaster 220WM
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Motherboard
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software XP pro (32bit)
hmm... only thing google is finding for mm.exe is that its a virus... so maybe see about checking on that...

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
It's my bed time kids, but on a last note I would like to say that there are really only two things I did not make Vista more pleasant.

Shut of UAC and shut off driver signing checks.

I think the 50 mph winds here causing wind chills of -50 or so are affecting my brain.
I'm going to snuggle with my wife in bed to keep warm and get some sleep.

Post on !

System Name File Server
Processor 2600k
Motherboard idk
Cooling H110
Memory 20gb of something
Video Card(s) onboard!
Display(s) couple 4k 32s
Mouse MX Master 2x
Keyboard G710
Software FreeNAS
It's my bed time kids, but on a last note I would like to say that there are really only two things I did not make Vista more pleasant.

Shut of UAC and shut off driver signing checks.

I think the 50 mph winds here causing wind chills of -50 or so are affecting my brain.
I'm going to snuggle with my wife in bed to keep warm and get some sleep.

Post on !

second that, me and my sig. other are doing the same now, night all!

System Name Not named
Case Fractal Design R5
hmm... only thing google is finding for mm.exe is that its a virus... so maybe see about checking on that...

Naw thats just the exe that launches under the name Might and Magic (see the 2 m's?)

System Name File Server
Processor 2600k
Motherboard idk
Cooling H110
Memory 20gb of something
Video Card(s) onboard!
Display(s) couple 4k 32s
Mouse MX Master 2x
Keyboard G710
Software FreeNAS

zatblast

milky way-sol system-3rd planet-northern hemispher
Processor E8400@3.0
Motherboard Asus P5N-D
Cooling mx-2//Artic freezer 7 pro
Memory 2gb Corsair XMS2 800mhz
Video Card(s) MSI 8800gt
Storage Seagate 320 7200.10
Display(s) Syncmaster 220WM
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Motherboard
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software XP pro (32bit)
Naw thats just the exe that launches under the name Might and Magic (see the 2 m's?)

lol good point, sorry just decided oh i have no idea what mm.exe is so google it and came up with ackie stuff sorry about it

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Sorry i didn't change my system specs yet, i thought that someone would mention that eventually :p

those new specs haev a lot in common with mine. feel free to PM me if any niggling issues persist.

System Name Not named
Case Fractal Design R5
I'll probably just have to play with things a little more... I did just build it today and such, just for kicks I've been running a bunch of stability tests like orthos and things seem to be checking out at a hardware level. I'll just see what i can do over the weekend.

ChillyMyst

http://neowin.net/news/main/08/01/20/windows-vista-the-facts
When choosing a new operating system, the first thing many people ask is, "What will it help me do?" In answer, much of this site shows you the great experiences Windows Vista helps you have. The second thing many people say is, "Prove that it's better." In particular, many of you have asked about performance and safety improvements. The following information provides specific proof that Windows Vista is faster and safer.
The majority of Windows Vista-based PCs boot in less than a minute, which can be an improvement over Windows XP boot times. And the new Windows Vista sleep and resume features can bring your PC to life in a snap—in fact, the vast majority of all Windows Vista-based PCs resume from sleep in less than 6 seconds.
PCs running Windows Vista that are equipped with 512 MB memory experience a performance boost of up to 40 percent with Windows ReadyBoost. Just plug a USB flash drive into your computer, and Windows Vista will automatically start using it to speed up memory access to important data.
Out of the box, Windows Vista performs as well, or better, than Windows XP on common home and business tasks.
Windows Vista users generally experience 20 percent fewer application "hangs" than those running Windows XP
Superfetch helps your computer adjust to your schedule, so your apps are ready to go before you even launch them. Use Microsoft Outlook every morning? Superfetch will serve it up just in time for breakfast. Play the same game every night? Superfetch gets your computer ready for the next big win. Waiting less means you can do more
Based on their first 180 days of availability, Windows Vista has been shown to have fewer vulnerabilities than Windows XP or MacOS X 10.4. PCs running it are 60 percent less likely to be infected with viruses, worms, and rootkits than PCs running Windows XP SP2. Windows Vista-based PCs are over 90 percent less likely to be infected than systems running Windows XP without a Service Pack. And the experts agree: "Windows Vista is arguably the most secure closed-source OS available on the market."
The more people use Windows Vista, the more they like it. So dig in and learn even more about the new features in Windows Vista. Once you've tried it, you'll see

first off bad sorce, neowin is a known MS humper site, they will say anything to keep ms happy, its why i dont post there anymore, when server 2003 came out ms GAVE me full copys of web/std/ent, and later SBS via a voucher, i ran them as a workstation, it was fine at first, people where kool and alot of us ran it as a workstation because its faster and more stable then XP.

but it didnt take long and neowin started a shift in its stance on MS products, they use to be very unbias, they started accusing anybody who had a server os(nt4/2k/2k3) and used it for a workstation of being a pirat, this is the mods as well as power users, then it got even worse, if you said something bad about an ms product they would lock or even delete the thred, not because of how it was posted but because it was anti-MS in some of their eyes.

Since vista came on the scene they have had ALOT of MS EMPLOYS join and start posting how great vista is, some even became staff, some admit they work for ms, others just wont reply if they are asked if they work for ms.

as to your points you listed humm, i can refute them 1 by 1 and will.

The majority of Windows Vista-based PCs boot in less than a minute, which can be an improvement over Windows XP boot times. And the new Windows Vista sleep and resume features can bring your PC to life in a snap—in fact, the vast majority of all Windows Vista-based PCs resume from sleep in less than 6 seconds.

ok first, vista systems that are not a fresh install may get to desktop faster but you cant do much till the hdd gets time to load your apps due to vista wanting to "super fetch" every damn program on the system into ram.......
resume from sleep, this is fast on 2k/xp/2k3/xp64 in most cases its 7-10sec, depending on if it was suspend to ram or suspend to hdd, hdd takes a bit longer but is more reliable.

the slow boot times with XP are only on systems that are full of crapware that loads along side windows, these same apps slow vista boot as well, or they are because the moron owner dosnt know what defaging the hdd is....

PCs running Windows Vista that are equipped with 512 MB memory experience a performance boost of up to 40 percent with Windows ReadyBoost. Just plug a USB flash drive into your computer, and Windows Vista will automatically start using it to speed up memory access to important data.

512 is way to little to run vista on period, its borderline for XP, 2k 512 is plenty for non gamers.
i dont want vista waring my flashdrives out by wrighting/reading to them a thousand times a second, thats just stupid, flash drives have a limmited number of times the data can be changed, i have worne a few out already and they where name brand.

Out of the box, Windows Vista performs as well, or better, than Windows XP on common home and business tasks.
ok this is a crock, super fetch lets software load SLITLY faster, thats it, you can do the same thing with xp if you wana mess with its prefetch and caching functions.
and many common buniness apps DONT WORK PROPERLY UNDER VISTA!!!!(adoby anybody?)

Windows Vista users generally experience 20 percent fewer application "hangs" than those running Windows XP
humm funny since when i ran vista in this box i had alot of apps eather fail to start or crash within seconds of loading, examples, bf2/2142, fear, adoby acrobat(not reader), photoshop, paintshop pro, i could go on and on, vista has alot of buggs.

Superfetch helps your computer adjust to your schedule, so your apps are ready to go before you even launch them. Use Microsoft Outlook every morning? Superfetch will serve it up just in time for breakfast. Play the same game every night? Superfetch gets your computer ready for the next big win. Waiting less means you can do more
super fetch has been proven USELESS for gamers, it at best helps get a game stared 10seconds faster, problem: it eats up ram that the games would benifit from by fetching other shit like IE.... dissable superfetch and see how your exp changes, if ur like most geeks your not using the exect same apps other then browser every time you use your system.

Based on their first 180 days of availability, Windows Vista has been shown to have fewer vulnerabilities than Windows XP or MacOS X 10.4. PCs running it are 60 percent less likely to be infected with viruses, worms, and rootkits than PCs running Windows XP SP2. Windows Vista-based PCs are over 90 percent less likely to be infected than systems running Windows XP without a Service Pack. And the experts agree: "Windows Vista is arguably the most secure closed-source OS available on the market."

haha, osx has only had 1 virus that was acctualy a thret, i hate mac but damn i wouldnt even try and say windows was more secure.......neowin fanboi bullshit again.

as to "without a service pack" OMFG how many people today acctualy try and run windows xp without a service pack, not even my noob friends who dont know much beyond "thats the power button" and "thats an internet browser" and "thats my email" wont run windows without it being patched up fully. most of them even found out how to use nlite themselves and slipstreamed their windows disk without asking me how(its that easy!!!)

The more people use Windows Vista, the more they like it. So dig in and learn even more about the new features in Windows Vista. Once you've tried it, you'll see

i forced myself to use vista for a month, after that i removed it from my system and it hasnt gotten back on yet!!!

my mother installed vista after gateway gave it to her to replace windows MCE on her lappy, 3 weeks later she had me wipe it and restore the xp install i backed up for her because alot of her software for her buisness WONT WORK ON VISTA PROPERLY, and its not the software thats the problem, they are waiting for ms to patch some flaws they cant program around.

Actully, 800MHz is minimum. Your RAM makes a huge difference. ValueRAM = GENERIC, therefore, it'll cause your system to slow down. The last statement is funny. My system runs smooth with just 1GB.

this is a crock of shit, valueRAM is not generic, its just the stuff name brand companys sell cheap without heatsinks, infact many times its the same stuff they sell as mid range or ever high end they just use diffrent SPD's and add ramsinks.

oh and at least with kingston and gskill the valueram is acctualy stuff that was orignaly hign end that has been out paced by newer higher clocked kits, the SPD is already set for say 533, but the sticks and chips are the exect same ones that are use for high end kits now at 800mhz, i have prooven this with kingston,pqi and gskill, copy the SPD from the hign end kit, flash it to the low end kit after checking that the sticks are the same, and bam, 533 kit becomes 667/800 kit thats 3-5x the cost.......

ask ket said, valueRAM is fine, infact till the huge price drop i use to reccomend ppl get uber valueram, now i tell them to get something like the a-data extream 2gb 800 cas4 kit thats 52bucks because it overclocks to 1066 or higher without much effort at all and its still cheap!!!

now as to the sp1 will fix all the worlds problems, it wont, it improves perf on a large number of systems with 1gb or more of ram, but it also takes forever to install, as long as 5hrs from reports, thats INSAIN, 5-7 restarts and HOURS to update windows........screw that......

it fixes some problems, but some are overlooked, the current sp1 beta is VERY VERY close to RTM(ready for market) its acctualy in the RC stages nolonger being called a beta.

i have installed it, it helped my buddys lappy vista install, but didnt speed his main system much, mind you he has quad boot because hes a programer and had to test software on
xp
2k3
x64 pro(xp/2k3 64bit)
vista32 and 64

he uses vista at work exclusivly because the system the company got him had it preinstalled, he hates it, not because its diffrent from xp but because its buggy and he keeps having to manualy force it to reconnect to the network(known bug thats due fixed in sp1, vista dosnt like some older lan/wan setups currently and wont play nice)

everybody should just wait for vienna/windows 7, its by all accounts going to be a drastic redesign, 64bit only no 32bit version, using a striped down nt core thats got most of the lagacy code removed that is in vista/xp/2k/nt4 to support older lagacy apps, its also said to be FAR smaller to install, talking cd size again insted of needing a dvd to install your os, this again is a good move because smaller=less bloated=good for users.

also smaller=more efficent in this case because they remove a huge block of the lagacy code thats been in the nt core since the 3x days(ewww)

ms gives me os's because of the field i work in, vista is the one os they have given me that i have no intrest in reinstalling, it just dissapointed me so much, im a gamer and net geek as well as computer tech, and well vista is just a pain in the ass :/

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
This forum is getting so many flame wars, it wasn't like this when I first came here...It's so childish that stuff like this actually keeps happening constantly. Respect peoples opinions...

Windows and Mac is like Pepsi and Coke. IT'S JUST A PREFERENCE. Stop labeling eachother and throwing out names just because someone uses a particular software. Grow up.

If you want my honest opinion, nothing in this thread is factual just because he finds a source that says "THE FACTS". Both operating systems have their flaws, and software changes constantly. There are no Facts in software because software is changed and can be changed constantly.

:shadedshu

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
long posts... all my vista systems take 1-2 seconds to recover from sleep. i touch the mouse button, all fans/lights power on and then its upto me to type my password.

XP cant do that.

Valueram is teh same as expensive ram - its ram. faster ram is an advantage, but not that great - that said, vista uses ram more (superfetch) so fast ram does help performance.

ChillyMyst

if its suspend to ram it can, and vista uses suspend to ram, suspend to ram systems just powerdown as much of the system as possable whal keeping the os and apps your using alive in acctive memory, the problem comes that alot of motherboards specly older ones dont use STR correctly and you gotta use STD(suspend to disk)

i personaly never shutdown unless its to change hardware or to clean my cpu cooler(damned dust!!!)

really the ultimate way to have your system ready in an instant, takes 1sec for my monotor to turn back on and im off doing stuff, well as long as my internets not stalling out and needing to have modem reset :p

System Name Not named
Case Fractal Design R5
Actually the vista sleep function is one thing i did notice that was rather interesting with vista. As mussels said it only really does take a couple seconds to come back on. Way faster than my laptop actually.

D

Duxx

I guess im going to have to make the plunge... where is the cheapest to buy Vista at? 64 bit only por favorrr

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I guess im going to have to make the plunge... where is the cheapest to buy Vista at? 64 bit only por favorrr

the cheapest is to download the OEM cracked vista 64. Of course it has the downside of being illegal.

cheapest legit, is to buy the OEM version - probably of home premium.

System Name File Server
Processor 2600k
Motherboard idk
Cooling H110
Memory 20gb of something
Video Card(s) onboard!
Display(s) couple 4k 32s
Mouse MX Master 2x
Keyboard G710
Software FreeNAS
Newegg has some good prices on the OEM Vista Disks, I buy the 32bit's here for work and pay 109 a copy. I couldnt imagine 64bit being much more.

And I tried that cracked version awhile back and the crack continued to fail so I was re-installin every 3 weeks or so, so I just got a copy. (I normally like to wait atleast a few more weeks than that!)

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Newegg has some good prices on the OEM Vista Disks, I buy the 32bit's here for work and pay 109 a copy. I couldnt imagine 64bit being much more.

And I tried that cracked version awhile back and the crack continued to fail so I was re-installin every 3 weeks or so, so I just got a copy. (I normally like to wait atleast a few more weeks than that!)

32 and 64 are completely compatible - many many people i know with legit 32 bit, have used a copy of my legit 64 bit disk and their '32 bit' CD key and it works fine. It was made this way, so that you can order a disk of microsoft for only the shipping fee.