1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows Vista to be the last Windows of its kind.

Discussion in 'News' started by zekrahminator, Aug 26, 2006.

1. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Since Windows 95, each version of Windows has had a striking similarity with it's previous versions. However, Microsoft has promised us that all that is about to change. The problem with Windows is that whenever there is a major upgrade, like from Windows 98 to Windows 2000, companies have a lot of trouble migrating from one copy to the other. And so, to resolve these issues, Microsoft is considering virtualisation technology. Virtualisation, which is already being used on servers and is supported by the latest chips from AMD and Intel, basically allows for multiple server instances to run on one platform.
    Microsoft anticipates a major update to Windows Vista around 2008/2009 to add virtualization.

Source: Techworld

2. stealthfighter

stealthfighter New Member

Thanks Received:
    Then we'll all need new processors.

3. JdPower New Member

Thanks Received:
    Isn't the UK version of vista out? If so, I beleive one of my buddies has vista on his computer. If not he has some weird customized windows that says "Vista," lol.

4. overcast New Member

Thanks Received:
    wth are you talking about.

5. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    He probably has the Vista Beta 2.

6. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    Windows operating systems suck. Period.

7. FoxGhost New Member

Thanks Received:
    What System do you install in your computer?

8. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    He uses Windows... you have to understand some things about Casheti:

1.) He is our "resident pessimist" but means well 9/10 times imo!

2.) He has his OWN language sometimes, but it is funny as hell mostly.

3.) He is A-OK in most of our books imo as well.

:)

* Plus, he makes me laff my butt off sometimes!

(Especially when he gets ticked off in his replies)

APK

P.S.=> On the TOPIC of this post:

IMO @ LEAST, as a Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully hotfix patched user:

If VISTA isn't a COMPLETE knockout of say, Windows XP (I don't use this model, I use Windows Server 2003, in this rig in my sig, in its DEFAULT workstation/pro install, & on my 2nd machine as a server serving up IIS6.x/SQLServer 2005 for lab purposes)?

I won't use it. However, I have to admit: I love the look of the new transparency effects in the GUI in Vista.

Windows Server 2003 is by far, imo @ least, an XP/2000 killer. MS learned a LOT on how to secure it, even its version of IE mind you, vs. the older ones... but, again:

UNLESS VISTA CAN COMPLETELY "KNOCKOUT" WINDOWS SERVER 2003 (not just XP)? I will stick by what I run... it is excellent (best Windows yet)... apk

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  9. v-zero Guest

I've been waiting for this announcement for the best part of a year now. We all know MS have wanted to move away from DOS, and even NT technology for a while now. They are moving towards a *nix based system I believe - OS X has proven its worth as a basis for an OS in the big league. It is easier to overhaul than XP, 98 and the rest... Good job :)

10. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    Look up the term "SINGULARITY" @ MS on technet...

That appears to be their move from my sort of "keeping up on this area" as it is an interest of mine!

(A system design w/ EVERY OS SERVICE independently brokered (they are not now, afaik, & done via svchost.exe...) AND, DRIVERS TOO, they also will run iirc, in their OWN process spaces, & same with services (like DOS, Win16/Win32 apps do now, in usermode/Ring3/RPL3 space, albeit w/ drivers in Ring0/RPL0/kernelmode space, but 'separated')

That is part of WHY I put up the posting on how to secure Windows Services (so they are AS SECURE AS MAC OS X ones & completely nullifies the latest Windows threat noted in that URL below in fact).

It IS, doable!

You can make SHORT WORK OF IT, using the list I provided on it, here:

SECURING WINDOWS SERVICES HOW-TO WITH INIT. TEMPLATE LIST OF BASIC NATIVE SERVICES, AND SOME THIRD PARTY ONES TOO:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=16097

(The list saves you time, & efforts in testing, but DOES note how to test other services you may be running that I did not list - I do NOT know all of them, that'd be nigh impossible imo!)

:)

* Anyhow... singularity may interest the HELL out of you!

(It does ME & is the "final stage/evolution" of Windows Security design imo, & who knows? It may help them achieve BETTER than C-2 security certification, possibly B levels joining, afaik HP-UX, & a couple others (there is NO A level rated commercially available OS yet to date via the "Orange Book" afaik, for your reference/FYI))!

APK

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  11. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    "Since Windows 95, each version of Windows has had a striking similarity with it's previous versions"

yep and the first thing i do when i "upgrade" usually about four years after the initial release is to go thru it and make it look as much like its previous incarnation as i can.. he he..

the desktop i run today looks (apart from its much higher resolution) just like the one i ran in 95.. vista will be completely wasted on me.. pretty desktops and pop up idiocies do not impress me at all.. neither does the fact that something is "new"..

trog

12. ryboto

ryboto New Member

Thanks Received:
    I really see nothing that could push me to upgrade from xp. I doubt developers will drop support for dx9 anytime soon, besides that, I only have time for one game anyway, and bf2 fits the bill nicely. As I see it, dx10 would be the only reason to go vista, that's if you're a "hardcore" gamer, and there's a game you just have to play at the highest possible levels. hopefully I'll have graduated before any new games come out and grab my attention...

13. zOaib New Member

Thanks Received:
    will be interesting to see the new windows anyhow !

14. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes i will probably install it on a spare partition or hardrive just out of curiosty.. as u say it will be interesting to see what all the fuss is about..

there wont be a mass migration to it.. folks who get it on their new oem machines will be the main users for at least a couple of years if it follows past patterns..

a real need for dx10 will be a couple of years away i recon..

trog

15. POGE

POGE New Member

Thanks Received:
    Blargh. You tricked me. I just skimmed the title and after I read "Windows Vista to be the last windows..."

And then there was rejoicing.