1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows Vista Ultimate (Product) Red Edition Up for Pre-Order

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Dec 8, 2008.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft has partnered with Dell to release the (Product) Red variant for the Windows Vista Ultimate operating system. (Product) Red is a brand license given to affiliated companies that mark their products with the brand mark and/or related themes, in return to voluntarily donating part of the revenue generated by the product to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.

Up until now, the special edition OS has been shipping with (Product) Red marked PCs and notebooks sold by Dell, but now, Microsoft is releasing a standalone retail package for the OS available to all. The OS comprises of special (RED) themed wallpapers, screensavers and visual styles. The company goes on to say and I quote "One (RED) PC purchased with Windows Vista Ultimate could provide up to six months of life-saving ARV medication for a person living with HIV-AIDS in Africa."

Microsoft will be releasing the standalone product on December 15, with retailers such as Amazon.com listing the OS for pre-order, priced at US $219.95. PCs and notebooks with this OS pre-installed are already sold by Dell. For more information, visit Microsoft here.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    MKmods says thanks.
  2. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Whats so hard about directly donating to those initiatives instead?
  3. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Feel free. The easier way is to buy (RED) products. The companies are donating their profits.
  4. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    So apart from some red themed stuff theres no difference to regular one. Ofcourse for ppl who dont have it then go for it good os and a great cause.
  5. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    they make enough money that they can donate it to the people who need it here actually. I know i may sound selfish but the US is whats really needing help.
  6. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry what? Actually don't answer that, this isn't a political debate, but seriously... jebus man!

On topic, I can't really see this selling very well. A proper kick in the teeth will be when the reports come in of it being pirated.
  7. jurrasstoil New Member

Thanks Received:
    Spreading one disease to cure another... weird.
  8. caleb

Thanks Received:
    lol

Its a nice idea everything should be sold as SPECIAL EDITION with some cheap additions for +10% of the normal price. I think that most ppl would go for the red wallpaper instead of giving their money to a boyscout with a fake id.
  9. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    ... but i dont like the color red?

sorry MS, me not paying for a red theme.
  10. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Bill Gates donates TONS of money. I like the red, it helps a lot I think.

There are tons of red products like this, cell phones you name it.
  11. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    So were is the home premium red version then? why just the most expensive version.
  12. PCpraiser100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Despite this is a donation, I would like to go to Best Buy and ask what is the real point of this OS.
  13. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    \
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_RED

if anyone didn't know.
  14. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    So it is $149.99 for the regular version and $219.99 for the Product Red edition...This price increase is true of most Product Red products. Now, the interesting thing is that the companies rarely actually tell us how much they are donating, but I bet the markup is more than what they donate...

So it is about $70 more to get the Product Red edition. It would be better to go buy the standard version, then donate the $70 to the charity of my choice. Then I will get the $70 tax write off, not Microsoft, and I can guarantee my money is being put to good use.

I can see why the companies do this though, and they certainly don't give a damn about helping people. It allows them to pad their profits, and get huge tax write offs for donating all this money.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  15. insider Guest

Bill Gates is donating all of his own wealth to charities when he dies, not Microsoft Corp, also just donating "part of the revenue" for this Vista eidtion could mean anything like 1% of the profit, people are better off sending a cheque to the Bill Gates charity foundation. ;)
  16. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    Yes, all his kids are only getting 10 million a piece. He said that his money could cause big problems in the wrong hands. It might be his kids kids kids and so on to do it.
  17. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    is this 32 or 64 bit or does it come in both flavors? just curious
  18. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Tax was getting more of his salary. Donating to charity will lessen his deduction big time. I guess theyre aiming for the same scheme as their former big guy.
  19. insider Guest

Gates didn't pay himself much of a salary (low six figure sum per year), his entire wealth comes from the M$ shares.
  20. Haytch

Haytch New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone say AIDS ? Did our man made disease not do its job properly ? The time is upon us to reinvent the wheel ?

Bill Gates is not dead yet, and untill he is, and we see where he put his money, i refuse to believe he would forward his money to a fund that actually required it for he greater good f mankind.

Sorry Bill Gates but Vista sucks big time. Atleast your not charging $700Au anymore for a failed o.s. You can shove your red theme where it belongs. Using people with Aids as an excuse for anything is another low point for M$. The main thing to keep inmind here is that your a theif Bill Gates, and a crook. To someone whom isnt as dumb as dog shit, your just another corporate troll thats about to use charity to wash your money.
  21. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    They actually "PAY" somebody for this kind of marketing stunt ?
  22. caleb

Thanks Received:
    Wtf is wrong with you guys. Its a charity thing for sick ppl not some secret marketing plot to sell more vista's.
    If you wont buy it theres no need to flame they made a version like that. I personally doubt that a company like that would need to steal some lazy dollars from a "charity" marketing. Besides they reduce their taxes this way so they win both ways.
  23. TurdFergasun New Member

Thanks Received:
    ya lets stop the flow of truth here please, so as not to disturb the above's leave-it-to-beaver view of reality.
  24. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Wow, I don't think I have ever seen a more obvious attempt to troll.

Your wrong, on every point. Now stop trolling.

No one said anything about it being a plot to sell more vista's. I said it was a plot to make the companies more money, and it is. Product Red products usually carry a markup over the same regular product. That market pads the company's pockets, as only a small percentage of the market is actually donated to charity.

I say, when you are thinking of buying a Product Red product, look at the markup. Then buy the regular product and donate difference to a charity of your choice. Then you get the tax write-off, not the company, and you can make sure the money is going to the charity you want.
    DaedalusHelios says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  25. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I see the anti vista trolls have found this thread. *sigh*

If you dont like vista fair enough,but why even bother commenting in this thread if its just the usual vista is crap,rubbish,a hog blah blah blah.You choose to not use it so just stick to xp and keep out of vista threads.
    DaedalusHelios and MKmods say thanks.