1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows XP Home Licence...

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Israar, Oct 28, 2011.

1. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Let me see if I am understanding your post correctly and please feel free to correct any mis-understanding I may have.

If it is a retail copy it is ok, but not an OEM copy. See the license info in my post above.
    Activating it and being legal are to different things. It may activate, but are you using it legally per the license, should be the question.

Now, you are going to tell someone they are wrong... and, you stated previously you may be doing the same.:wtf:
    You are right in that it may not be transfered to a new machine per the (OEM) license, but you may replace the board per the license and replace any or all of the other parts and components, as it is tied to the MB.

And, you are going to hint at something, even in jest, that may be illegal and at the very least unethical.:shadedshu

This thread needs closing. It is bordering on illegal activities.

From the Guidelines:Threads that should/will be closed
    Threads that request forums to participate in something illegal. For example, we will not tolerate threads requesting how to pirate Windows, where to buy marijuana, how to compromise a PC, etc.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I hate to tell you this, but I actually read the EULA, as Viper already posted before you posted, the EULA and Microsoft both say that you can replace the motherboard. Now I'm not exactly replacing the motherboard with an equivalent model, so it might be slightly out of the license, but I think it is close enough for the OP's needs. Especially since the license hasn't been active in years.

Israar says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    This is for my own personal use, and im just stating the fact it can be used on any machine regardless if its a OEM or not, thats all im saying.

Like i said before im just saying it "can" be done and the key will work thats all, but like i also said when i rang up Microsoft and said im replacing the board (for a customers computer) they said NO straight away. So i dont know why they would post that on there site and say different on the phone? can anyone explain that to me?

Once again im only giving an example regardless what it means, and if you read it i said its not a good idea. This is what ive heard others have done, not me personally.

If you work at a computer store then you will know that the amount of illegal stuff that's done behind the counter you would shit ya self.

Well i don't know why they would have 2 different answers for that as i said i rang them on the phone and said im replacing the board on this computer its got a legit serial etc and she said NO and canceled it there and then, so if you can explain why they did it that be great?

4. Israar

Israar

Thanks Received:
    95Viper, as much as I appreciate your help and input on this thread aswell, since you don't have to reply to any given person, I think you're jumping the gun abit here mate... No one here, especially myself, are that far into illegal activities. I certainly haven't requested that anyone participates in something illegal. As this thread is concerning Windows, I definitely don't want to endorse piracy. From the first post I made here, I made that part clear. So for you to wave that flag is a little bit unfair, don't you think?

I'd like a moderator to answer this and let me know if it is worth closing? I personally don't think it is but I could be wrong, I just think that you, 95Viper, are a little too trigger happy on this thread maybe? I will appologise now though if I am wrong and the moderators state this thread should be closed.

As for the debate with Melvis, he was merely confirming that OEM licenses can be reactivated on different setups, as Frick asked for confirmation on this.

--Lee

5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
    95Viper and stinger608 say thanks.
  6. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    Something to also keep in mind on this subject is that a retail key will not work using a OEM install disk. In order to make a retail key work, one has to have a copy of the retail disk.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    More than likely because the people working for them don't even know the rules, at least not the first level of support. So they just say whatever they want.

95Viper says thanks.
  8. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Israar, my post was not directed at you.

If, you read through the thread and my post, here, and comments made in the other post... references to license/eula violations and/or activities that could be illegal were mentioned.

TPU forum guidelines cover that problem. And, I am assuming, it is, probably, for a very good reason.

I stated my opinion, and, that is, when someone posts something that, may be or is, illegal then the thread needs closing (if it is getting that far off into those, possibly, illegal areas) or the person/persons need to be warned not to go there.

I hope a mod does make the decision... As I stated, I gave my opinion.
    It was not a finger pointing or flag waving at anyone in particular, just an expression of a thread going off direction. I could have, at the time of the post, just hit the report button, I did not. I was hoping the thread would get back on track by itself.

Israar says thanks.
  9. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    i'll allow it.

not enough people understand microsoft's terms of use, even microsoft.

Israar and 95Viper say thanks.
  10. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Yep, and I'll give s simple summary for anyone that is still confused.

Retail License:

• Supported by Microsoft
    • Can only be running on 1 machine per license
    • Can be transferred from one machine to another as long as it is removed from the old machine first

OEM License:

• Supported by the whoever installs it
    • Bound to the motherboard it is originally installed on
    • The motherboard can only be changed in the event of a motherboard failure, and then the replacement motherboard must be the same model or an equivalent model

Upgrade License:

• Support is bound by the license of the version you are upgrading from
    • Can be transferred from one PC to another as long as it is uninstalled from the previous computer first
    • When transferred support is bound by the license of the version you are upgrading from on the new machine

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
    Chevalr1c and Israar say thanks.
  11. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure about this, when I was at MS support everyone there said that an upgrade equals retails. That's what we told customers as well, and we helped people with installing upgrades from scratch as well.

12. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    I think i have a couple of old Technet Vista Keys bashing about somewhere. PM me if u want one, i have no idea how well it would work tho, i upgraded to windows 7 a while ago

Israar says thanks.
  13. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I clarified that a little. I meant that the previous license applies for who supports it. If you upgrade from an OEM version, Microsoft won't provide support for the upgrade(though they often do).

However, it can be transferred like a retail copy.

14. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    That isn't true for every version of Windows, such as XP Vista and 7 *Except for OEM's such as DELL, HP etc...etc... as their license is a Bulk order Purchase*
    **Unless it is for repair reason and is being transferred to another Motherboard of the same model**

OEM versions purchased by the end user can transfer their copy to another PC as long as it has been disarmed by calling the Microsoft Activation Service while activating it on another PC...

15. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    First, thanks 'Viper for posting the licensing information. It's always nice to have it in a thread such as this as many people do not know where they stand when it comes to MS licensing.

Second, I've NEVER had a problem getting an OEM license (which I purchased) reactivated by Microsoft for any reason as long as I assured them it was only being used on a single computer. When I completely upgraded my system (everything but the case and PS) I simply told them that the old computer no longer exists (which technically is true). They happily reactivated it, a phone call which took all of about 2 minutes.

Third, I'm good with this thread too. I honestly don't think that MS is so concerned about the OEM builders who want to reactivate a license or two. They can easily check to see if you are trying to reactivate a license from a MEGA-OEM™ for use on another computer and that they don't want.

Israar, stinger608 and 95Viper say thanks.
  16. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Yes it is true, even if Microsoft doesn't abide by it, that is how it is. If the end user is buying OEM licenses, they are still bound by the OEM requirement to be bound to the motherboard they are installed with originally. The EULA is the same for everyone.

Yeah, I just stated the technical rules, as I said earlier they are really lax on the issue.

17. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I just love the irony in that statement. :laugh: Nice one.

18. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
  19. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Morons, Next time ill just send them the bill :shadedshu

20. Israar

Israar

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for clarifying that 95Viper :)

Again thank you for all the help and information given in this thread, as always I appreciate any help given to me, due to the fact that everyone deserves to know that their input is always valued by myself :)

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try anything, due to the fact that when I got chance to start on it, the motherboard turned out to be faulty, so my brothers friend needs to buy a new motherboard, although he said to save himself some trouble he will go and buy himself a better PC, gives him a reason to "upgrade" :)

All who PM'd me will be replied to as always, I don't leave anyone out! :)

:toast: for all the help and information! Big smiles to the lot of you! :)

--Lee

qubit says thanks.
  21. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    THIS!^

I have Windows XP COA licenses from some of my dead laptops and a couple of Windows 7's and all have been activated more times I can count by MS themselves with no hassle. If they did not want them to be reactivated on other hardware then it should show when you activate it again or call them to reactivate.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    That is faulty logic. If they wanted it to be ok for you to reactivate on different hardware they wouldn't put the wording in the EULA forbidding it.

It is against the law to speed, but I drive by cops speeding all the time, many times they are doing radar watching me speed. The cops are just to lazy to enforce the law, that doesn't mean the lawmakers didn't mind me speeding.

In this Microsoft has built in a leeway to make the process smoother for the end user. But trust me, you re-activate the key enough times on enough different computers in short enough time, and they will black-list your key. I've had it done.

23. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Hmm I have not had a key black listed yet but I dont activate it often and ONLY on 1 hardware at a time.

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    LOL, it's totally a grey area.

My story: An OEM COA from a dead Dell laptop moved to a PC. Couldn't activate and called M$. After being asked a few questions, they said I was all set and sure enough, I was good to go. I simply explained that I had upgraded the PC.

You can also buy COA tags on eBay (at least you could), as long as it was attached to a peice of hardware. For instance, the battery cover that it was originally stuck to :laugh:

25. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I wonder what their threshold criteria is? lol

I'm sure that they look at the disparity of IP addresses too. Imagine if it gets activated in the UK, then 2 hours later in the USA and then 10 minutes later in Italy, that's a sure sign of a warezed key.